revisiting editing / deleting saved searches

saved searches is a mess -- looks like an afterthought in new version, legacy version was bit more elegant.

there are threads two years old about this

1) can't edit a search - you have to create a new search and save it

2) "edit search" is really "reame search" as you can't edit it

3) you can't pick the same name as an old search -- so if i change the criteria for a search as a work around to editing, i'll save under same name as old search -- won't let me. says a search by that name already exists -- expected behavior would be that warning but then ask if you want to reaplace it.

4) so try to edit original search -- can't find a way to do it. supposedly you run the search and then hit the three dot menu.  but that three dot menu only has "edit search" -- no delete option. so everytime i want to edit criteria for a saved search i have to create savedsearch1, savedsearch2 etc etc and there is no separate section for saved searched, only a drop down box in the search bar -- with all the other searchs' youve doen.

1) please please make the saved search work like UI in just about any other program you want to mention. (save/replace/rename/delete)

2) please tell me the secret password i need to be able to delete a saved search as i i can't find a way to do it.

otherwise saved searches seem to serve limited purposes.

• Thanks 1

thatnks @PinkElephant,

can you provide some screenshots as i'm not seeing that behavior. 

1) i can't figure out delete a search so that's problem one

2) when i edit a saved search -- you have to use a new name to save it -- understand that -- but that's not the same as editing an existing search, that's creating a new search. -- unless you can delete the original to save it to  which goes back to #1 :)

12 hours ago, jrgreensboro said:

1) i can't figure out delete a search so that's problem one

You need to run the search first. Then from the three dots menu choose "delete search"

12 hours ago, jrgreensboro said:

2) when i edit a saved search -- you have to use a new name to save it -- understand that -- but that's not the same as editing an existing search, that's creating a new search. -- unless you can delete the original to save it to  which goes back to #1 :)

I think the only way of editing a search is to create a new search by editing the existing search. You will then need to rename and delete as appropriate.

• Like 1
On 10/9/2023 at 9:34 AM, Mike P said:

I think the only way of editing a search is to create a new search by editing the existing search. You will then need to rename and delete as appropriate.

OK - disappointing fact 😞

I hope someone at EN's product team will have a look on former possibilities of the simple right-click menue in sub-tree "Saved Searches":

image.png.8c05738dddc11508591095d6d6c282c4.png

It offers all we need:

• Create a new one starting with the current as a template 
  • Change current
  • Rename current
  • Delete current

Up to here, we can achieve it in EN10 with much more effort and know-how to do it..
But this is not available in EN10:

• Manage accessibility in Favourites
  • Manage settings of result list view

The bold emphasized use cases are a real pain in EN10 😡

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

OK - disappointing fact 😞

I hope someone at EN's product team will have a look on former possibilities of the simple right-click menue in sub-tree "Saved Searches":

I think the problem is that EN has reduced the status of saved searches to be the same as "search suggestions". A cursory look at the interface would suggest that saved searches don't even exist in EN, while stacks, notebooks, tasks and tags have pride of place.

Saved searches could be so much more - even better than in legacy. The ability to organise them and also run them from notes for example.

Personally, I now rarely use saved searches unless they are important enough to warrant a place in shortcuts. I now put the advanced search string as text in a note and have an Auto Hotkey script that copies it to the search box and runs it. This is a snapshot of part of my master dashboard with some relevant "saved searches" at the bottom of the Evernote V10 section.

image.png.f1fc51cbc3992c91eb09cce3265b77fa.png

Yes @agsteele your excellent advice on how to change the the white system tray icon has been clipped and has a place in my most important note!

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Saved searches could be so much more - even better than in legacy. The ability to organise them and also run them from notes for example.

Yeah! IIRC I already asked support for a possibility to create an URL that carries a search phrase. 😉 (answer was: sorry - no. But it's a long time ago...)

8 minutes ago, Mike P said:

... suggest that saved searches don't even exist in EN

I don't think so - it's simply forgotten to offer them like favourites, stacks a.s.o. because they have a name (so you cannot have to saved searches with the same name), they are synced and can even be managed in Legacy 👍

13 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I now put the advanced search string as text in a note and have an Auto Hotkey script that copies it to the search box and runs it.

OK, but this is a very tricky workaround for insiders on Windows 🤔.
But interesseting - could you please mention your AHK scriptlet to save some time on my (our) site? 🙏

5 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

But interesseting - could you please mention your AHK scriptlet to save some time on my (our) site? 🙏

This is the code. There are some lengthy delays built in because otherwise EN can't keep up! I simply click anywhere in the search string and proess ctrl+j. (Going to "Home" and then back to "Notes" is just a way of clearing any previous searches - you don't really  need to go back to "Notes" as you can run searches from the home screen )

^j::
{
	SetKeyDelay 200
	send "{Home}"
	send "+{End}"
	Sleep 100
	send "^c"
	Sleep 100
	send "{Home}"
	Sleep 100
	send "^!1"
	Sleep 200
	send "^!2"
	Sleep 1000
	send "^!f"
	Sleep 100
	send "^v"
	Sleep 200
	sendEvent "{Enter}"
}

• Thanks 1
On 10/8/2023 at 7:14 PM, jrgreensboro said:

2) please tell me the secret password i need to be able to delete a saved search as i i can't find a way to do it.

To delete a saved search in Windows look in the left-hand panel find the saved search you want to delete and click the X to delete it

1 minute ago, bmcl26 said:

To delete a saved search in Windows look in the left-hand panel find the saved search you want to delete and click the X to delete it

This only deletes the shortcut. The saved search is still there. It also does not delete a saved search which has not been made a shortcut.

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

This is the code. ...

THX a lot. Here's my adopted version. For any reason my AHK interpreter sends surrounding doublequotes. And ^j had to be changed to ^+j (Ctrl-Shift-J) because ^j has been bound to an other function 😉

^+j::
{
    SetKeyDelay 200
    send {Home}+{End}
    Sleep 100
    send ^c{Home}
    Sleep 100
    send ^!1
;   Sleep 200
;   send ^!2
    Sleep 1000
    send ^!f
    Sleep 100
    send ^v
    Sleep 200
    SendEvent {Enter}
}

3 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

in windows 10, there isn't a saved search section in the LH panel, that doesn't exist -- did in windows legacy, but not in the new version. 10.63.3

and the three dot menu only offers "edit search"  which only a rename opction - there is no delete option

5 minutes ago, jrgreensboro said:

in windows 10, there isn't a saved search section in the LH panel, that doesn't exist -- did in windows legacy, but not in the new version. 10.63.3

My point exactly. Saved searches only appear in thge drop down box below the search once you open it.

6 minutes ago, jrgreensboro said:

and the three dot menu only offers "edit search"  which only a rename opction - there is no delete option

Again, this is exactly what we've been discussing. The only way to delete a search is to run it and then delete it as I describe  above.

image.png.807f1c6e67587ccab743611cbdce7494.png

12 minutes ago, Mike P said:

My point exactly. Saved searches only appear in thge drop down box below the search once you open it.

Again, this is exactly what we've been discussing. The only way to delete a search is to run it and then delete it as I describe  above.

image.png.807f1c6e67587ccab743611cbdce7494.png

and my problem is when i run a saved search and go to that three dot menu, i only get a note to "edit saved search", there is no "delete saved search option"

doesn't matter how many times i run a saved search -- i never get the box you have above, only a edit save search option.

it's just missing --
I"m wondering if is it possible that since some of these saved searched are "old" -- i.e. came from legacy version, the new version doesn't recognize them --

that's a thought -- i will create a new one and see - -but  if true, then means i can never delete any of the "old ones" unless i reinstall legacy and delete them there.

ugh

8 minutes ago, jrgreensboro said:

and my problem is when i run a saved search and go to that three dot menu, i only get a note to "edit saved search", there is no "delete saved search option"

What happens on the web version?

There is a very specific issue I had once. I filtered by tag and then included sub tags and saved the search. When I tried to run the saved search I couldn't because it requires a boolean search under the hood and I don't have professional memebership. Because I couldn't run the search I couldn't delete it. The solution was to edit it and add to shortcuts. Right clicking the shortcut gives you this menu:

image.png.3f11a297b1c7da54a1b549f70ad489b9.png

From which you can delete the search. Worth trying in your case

26 minutes ago, jrgreensboro said:

... came from legacy version, the new version doesn't recognize them

They're recognized - but successfully hidden (nobody knows why...). You may

• go to the EN-Home page, then
  • click into the Search field and
    • you will find all your Saved searches.
  • Click one to execute it and
    • you will be able to click on the "..." menue to find a command to delete it.

4 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

They're recognized - but successfully hidden (nobody knows why...). You may

• go to the EN-Home page, then
  • click into the Search field and
    • you will find all your Saved searches.
  • Click one to execute it and
    • you will be able to click on the "..." menue to find a command to delete it.

thanks @AlbertR -- we are on the same page, but as i've noted many times above, that three dot menu doesn't give me a "delete" option after i run a search, only an edit option we've been hunting for solutions, and my last idea was maybe since these were created in the legacy version, the new version doesn't handle them the same way as if they were natively created in the new version.   @Mike P has suggested i see what happens on the web version -- hadn't thought of that as the web version is sucha hit or miss proposition most days -- takes five minutes to load for example - but headed there now.

6 hours ago, Mike P said:

This only deletes the shortcut. The saved search is still there. It also does not delete a saved search which has not been made a shortcut.

That is strange I had three saved searches and deleted two of them in the Shotcut Menu, as I explained above I now only have one saved search.

3 hours ago, jrgreensboro said:

I am on Windows 11 and EN10.63.3 and have just successfully deleted two saved searches using the method I posted above.

@bmcl26

Thanks for confirming that

, i'm on windows 10 and found i can do this on the web version but not on the deskapp.

with a little experimenting, i think my last thought was the correct one -- i have somef really old saved searched i use over and over -- basically looks for tags:todo or words todox or #todo which is a way i capture stuff to put into my todo list.  predates the task list in evernote which i don't use anyway. but...

have another couple of saved searched for t reading stuff later --  and stuff for some client related work.

i found that the option to delete those old saved searchedsdoesn't appear on the desktop, but do appear on the web app.

the only thing they probably have in common is they were created on the legacy version even before there was a legacy version and somehow evernote has lost control of those saved searchs --

So tried creating new saved searches and the behavior is as you describe, works as advertised, but have a slew that predate my migration to legacy version and new version that seem to be corrupted -- but the good news seems i can delete them  in the web app.

so will have to delete and recreate about a dozen saved searches -- they are also better organized on the search bar in the web app but seem to be a search afterthought in the desktop app.

appreciate everyone's ideas and suggestions -- as a whole they at least gave me a workaround even thought it seems that evernote has a glitch in this area

1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

That is strange I had three saved searches and deleted two of them in the Shotcut Menu, as I explained above I now only have one saved search.

That's interesting. I just tried again. If I use the X method it deletes the shortcut to the saved search. However if I look in the list of saved searches in the drop down it is still there.

image.png.88b0e51519a3b469c3eee08490488270.png

As a double check I created a new search and attempted to give it the same name as the "deleted" search and got the error message that there is already a saved search with that name. We have had this issue on the forums before with people convinced that they have deleted a search but unable to re use the name for a new search.

As I mention above if you right click the shortcut you have the choice to delete the saved search or remove it from shortcuts. I still believe the X only removes it from shortcuts.

• Like 1

Just one other thought. As well as saved searches the Shortcuts area can also contain shortcuts to notes, tags, notebooks and stacks. I'm glad that the cross doesn't  delete (without further confirmation) any of those!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

As I mention above if you right click the shortcut you have the choice to delete the saved search or remove it from shortcuts. I still believe the X only removes it from shortcuts.

@Mike PYou are correct, on reflection, I did indeed right-click on the shortcut and selected DEL from the menu. Apologies for the confusion.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, jrgreensboro said:

Update, 2024-01-08

when you right click a saved search, there is now a drop down to "edit search", "delete search", "remove from search"

I think you mean when you right click a saved search in shortcuts there is now...

Actual saved searches still lurk in the twilightzone between recent searches (that nver change) and go to..