Export ENEX via commandline in Evernote 10.x

I want to change from Evernote 6.x Legacy to V 10.x
So i am looking for a solution to backup my complete evernote!

In Version 6.x this was possible with a simple commandline Tool "ENScript.exe"
In new Version 10.x there is no such tool !?

Can anyone of you give me a tip on how I can somehow automatically save my notebooks to ENEX files via the command line?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pbelcl said:

automatically save my notebooks to ENEX files via the command line?

"Automatically" is not possible in v10.  If you search the forums there has been some discussion of a third-party sevice https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup,  and it is possible to export all notes in one notebook to ENEX from the Notebooks page in your account;  but that's a manual option at this stage.

You could support my feature request if you like... 

• Evernote Expert

I use the evernote-backup project. 

It is is routine to run this on a schedule. In my case it runs at 5am every Sunday but you could schedule it daily or hourly. evernote-backup creates a local database and has a separate routine to extract the ENEX files on a separate schedule. Each notebook is exported in its own ENEX.

I schedule using the default Windows Scheduler. I presume that there are similar options for other OSes. evernote-backup runs with Windows, MacOS and Linux.

• 6 months later...

I looked at the backup project here

https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup

and since my forced switch zu Evernote 10 I have been using this software for my backup.
It was also perfectly automated, so I really liked it!

Now I had the need to do a restore by importing one of the created .ENEX files into Evernote V10.

I gained the following important insights, which I would like to share with you here

1.) The opened ENEX file is NOT imported with the name that the file has, but is inserted into the "standard notebook". So far no problem...

2.) NONE of the originally set alarms are imported. I had entered “notifications” for several data sets in the test notebook, but they had all disappeared, which is extremely problematic!!

3.) If you export a notebook manually and then import it back into Evernote, all the alarms are there, so in my opinion it could only be an error in the export tool

4.) The last update on the manufacturer's websiteit's been some time, so I'm afraid that there won't be any particular motivation for further development.
That's why I'm now looking for a better way than regularly exporting the notebooks MANUALLY

Am I possibly doing something wrong?
If so, do you have a tip for me?

If not, this backup concept is no longer useful for me because ESSENTIAL data is lost during a restore!!

1 hour ago, pbelcl said:

1.) The opened ENEX file is NOT imported with the name that the file has, but is inserted into the "standard notebook". So far no problem...

I you double click or open the ENEX file, notes are imported into the default notebook.

If, however, you use in the EN app /File/Import menu item and select the same ENEX file, notes will be imported into a new notebook named "(Imported) original notebook name". EDIT: If you exported by notebooks, that is. I haven't tried anything else.

I do not see a reason for this inconsistent behavior, but I am sure some will argue here that this is great (you can even guess who that will be). To me it is inconsistent and thus I avoid directly (outside of EN) opening an ENEX file.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

some will argue here that this is great

Not saying it's great,  but I've used both methods.  Double clicking a single note is a quick way to generate a new note from a template.  Importing several hundred notes?  I'd rather not have them dumped unidentifiably into one of my existing notebooks. 

Having an Imported notebook means I can sort through them and deal with them as appropriate.  Having just taken a new project on board I have 25 Imported notebooks which are conveniently separate from my own notes. 

This,  by the way,  has been a standard behaviour since v10 was introduced,  so maybe not so much 'inconsistent' as 'unfamiliar'.

• Level 5

@Razmataz It is not inconsistent, this are separate options. It is well known that ENEX misses the notebook information, so there needs to be a notebook assigned in case of the double click. That’s the purpose of having a default.

Maybe learn about how v10 behaves, instead of hallucinating a wrong behavior behind every feature.

I have now done further tests and have come to the following conclusion:
1.) the behavior described by you @Razmataz is correct, I overlooked the import thing!!
Thanks for this hint, so you can decide how you want it 😉 

2.) Importing from the backup project results in MISSING reminders. No matter which import variant you use!!

3.) You can see that there was a memory, but it is EMPTY, as you can see in the screenshot.

Conclusion: The backup software is quite nice, but if, you have a lot of memories, it's rather useless!!

So i am looking for another solution for automated exporting for externam backup .....

2024-04-11 15_21_03-Window.jpg

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, pbelcl said:

2.) Importing from the backup project results in MISSING reminders. No matter which import variant you use!!

It also doesn’t back up tasks since the Evernote API that it uses hasn’t been updated. Hopefully when the v10 development slows down they will release an updated API. Until then it is limited, but I would not call it useless.

The best option would be for Evernote to deliver a one click backup solution where selected or all notebooks could be exported.

6 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

The best option would be for Evernote to deliver a one click backup solution where selected or all notebooks could be exported.

Yes, a one-click solution to export all notebooks would be the best idea!!!
Then we wouldn't need any external additional programs!

And sorry for the contradiction, but a lot of things have a memory in my Evernote and if I can't restore them, then a backup is unfortunately useless FOR ME.

This doesn't have to apply to other users, just to be clear 😉

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:
If you run it automatically, you can even spare that single click.

Hello @PinkElephant
Thanks for the tip, but maybe you missed my error description?
This is exactly the program that produces the error I described above and is therefore NOT usable if you have a lot of memories in Evernote ;-(

• Level 5

They can’t include into the ENEX file what is not defined for that data format. It has certain limitations, but is still the best available format.

You would AFAIK get the same result when exporting from the app itself.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@Razmataz It is not inconsistent, this are separate options. It is well known that ENEX misses the notebook information, so there needs to be a notebook assigned in case of the double click. That’s the purpose of having a default.

Maybe learn about how v10 behaves, instead of hallucinating a wrong behavior behind every feature.

What? There is no notebook "assigned" either, if you just File/Import it. Then it gets the notebook name (perhaps from the file name, I don't know). Why not the same behavior upon double clicking, for consistency?

I stand by my story, there needs to be consistency in an app. It is a bad design to expect that users think about the context first, before they do something, because the same function is behaving differently, depending on the context or environment.

This is a productivity app! And inconsistency kills productivity.

Or do you find it great, too, that in a note one cannot right-click a random attachment to copy it (like in every other app on any platform) but you can do the same using the top-line edit menu where the option is not grayed out (or just press CTRL-C)? There are dozens of inconsistencies like that in V10, working against habits.

You seem to enjoy them though. This is really great for you, congratulations! 

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

That's not true, because THAT'S EXACTLY what I tested and described in the thread above, sorry if that wasn't clearly stated!
* Exported from Evernote -> All reminders are imported again!
* Exported with the tool from GitHub -> all reminders empty "kein Datum" , see screenshot!

Um eine stabile Sicherung zu machen MUSS man alles händisch exportieren!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Not true, unfortunately.  Exporting notes that contain tasks works when exporting from within the app.  Using Evernote-backup does not capture the task information.