Not showing (expanding) embedded PDF files contained inside a note, when exporting to PDF

I have no idea if this is intended behavior, but when I export a note containing a PDF file to a PDF file, the exported note does not show (the contents of) the embedded PDF file, but just the title of the embedded PDF file.

It would be really helpful if it would show the actual (contents of) the PDF file when exporting or printing, or at least have an option in the export dialog window to show the contents of embedded (PDF) files.

Screenshot_2023-09-15_at_11_50_40.png

Screenshot_2023-09-15_at_11_50_57.png

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Right click the Title and select either All Pages or SIngle Page.

There is also a setting that allows you to select the default view although the default only triggers in certain circumstances.

Hi agsteele, I don't think you have read my post. You are not addressing the actual issue.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, LouJK said:

I clearly say that when exporting a note to PDF an embedded PDF within the note is shown as a merely a title. Within the Evernote UI, the PDF displays as it should.

Still more a matter for Support than for us other users.  I think some (possibly all) note attachments show up as icons rather than full text when they are exported.  Don't know if that's a limitation of PDFs generally,  or Evernote's export process.  I don't know whether they'd want to change it either - Evernote is not meant to be a PDF editor;  you could export your attachments and re-add them to the exported PDF if you have Adobe or another editor installed.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers. I am personally using Evernote for my company as  digital document management and archive app. Not strictly as note taking app.

Sometimes I need to export multiple documents at once and dragging and dropping embedded PDFs is a tedious job. It would be tremendously helpful to be able to select multiple notes and export the notes included in the embedded PDF files or just the attachments in one go. It saves a lot of time.

After searching the web and trying the different options I could not find a way, that is why I posted here. If this is the intended behavior then I'll open a support ticket and maybe they can add it as a feature in the next release.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, LouJK said:

If this is the intended behavior then I'll open a support ticket 

I don't think anyone here knows what the intended behaviour is - but the support ticket will get you an answer;  please let us know what it is!

On 9/15/2023 at 12:06 PM, agsteele said:

There is also a setting that allows you to select the default view although the default only triggers in certain circumstances.

Agsteele,

I am on the latest version of EN on windows 11. I find that -- sadly -- the default never works. I need to change the setting every time manually.

• Evernote Expert

Basically the only time that the default setting triggers is when you add a PDF by dragging and dropping INTO the body of a note, or attaching via the blue + button and selecting attachment.

It doesn't work when the process requires a note to be created. So drag and drop a PDF onto the sidebar or import into a new note via an Import Folder always adds the note as a Single Page View.

• Like 1