Downgrade from EN Personal to EN Free

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you pay Evernote direct,  go to https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action and look for the 'billing' section.  Any changes will take effect after the current payment period expires.  

Remember that you're only allowed toconnect to the new account through two devices,  which basically means the web - which you need for managing your account - plus one other:  usually a tablet or phone. 

Check the current devices and revoke access to everything but the two you will use from the 'Devices' section of this page.  If you pay via iTunes - see your subscription options there.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Check the current devices and revoke access to everything but the two you will use from the 'Devices' section of this page

What @gazumped days plus, best to log out of the account on the devices you will not use before revoking access.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, agsteele said:

There is no option to 'downgrade'. Select 'Cancel your Evernote subscription' on the Billing page. You will drop to Free when your subscription runs out.

You know, a lot of people might look at that and think it would cancel/close/wipe out their Evernote account, notes and all. There could be some better wording there. (Actually deactivating or closing an account is done from the Account Status page, also linked from https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action.)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, @PinkElephant! Very helpful - I'd looked but hadn't found that.

I'm not using Evernote as much as I used to so can't see that I have anything to lose by downgrading.

So do I just cancel my sub as @agsteele says above?

I think my worry was that I would lose some storage or other space limitations but I don't think I'm affected by these limits: Evernote system limits – Evernote Help & Learning. What happens if I currently have a note size over the Free plan limit of 25 MB?

• Evernote Expert

If you cancel today it will take effect from the renewal date in the future.

No data is lost. Any notes that exceed the Free data limits will in effect be locked. You will be able to view them but not edit them.

If you have a larger note that you want to continue to edit then best to break it up into smaller chunks before you drop to Free. Or create a second  version and place a link to the new empty note in your old large note before freedom day. Then you can link back and forth between the original note and the future material.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, Alan Henness said:

Great! Is there a way of identifying over-size notes?

Not in advance,  but as above - for non-subscribers the content can be copied,  and (hint,  hint) saved in smaller chunks if necessary.

• Level 5

You can make the note size show in the note list. Right mouse click on the Title area of the notes list, checkmark at size.

The column can't be sorted, but you can see notes exceeding say 20MB. The official limit is 25MB, but there may be some metadata involved. So better stay a little below.

You can the decide about the notes that are larger. Split them, take large content like pictures out, or file the attachment away, and link it into the note.