Are the *attachments* to notes stored locally as well as in the cloud?

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

Greetings. 

I am evaluating whether or not I can install Evernote for Windows. I abandoned the desktop version a few years ago because of syncing issues.  Since that time, iI've used  the web version only.  I have uploaded >1000 documents and images as attachments to various notes.

If I install Evernote for Windows, where will all those attachments be stored?  Will copies of the attachments be stored locally (requiring a lot of storage) or will the local versions of the notes pull the attachments from the cloud  as they are opened (saving local storage)?

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your assistance.

Greetings... for the Windows and Mac apps everything is stored locally and in the cloud. There's no option to set either/or. This does mean you can work in Evernote offline which I find useful as I'm on the train a lot.

For the mobile apps you can select which notes or notebooks are available offine. Default is offline so everything is in the cloud needing half decent Wifi. If you select some notes or notebooks to appear offline you can get hold of them when you don't need data.

On Windows you can experiment with it by going into Airplane mode. Any edits or new notes will get sent to the cloud once you switch data back on.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
  • Solution
1 hour ago, ssm said:

If I install Evernote for Windows, where will all those attachments be stored?  Will copies of the attachments be stored locally (requiring a lot of storage) or will the local versions of the notes pull the attachments from the cloud  as they are opened (saving local storage)?

After the database has synchronised all the attachments are also stored locally but not labelled as, for example, attachment.pdf Rather they are stored with a unique long character string and without any file suffix. They are present outside the app but not obviously so...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

If local storage space is a concern,  it is possible to opt not to keep a local copy of the database,  but that would mean that 'offline' working would not be possible.  Which is the situation with web access anyway...   In its defence,  the installed app does have a few more features than the web,  and I'm not sure what the situation is with 'new' notes - while I understand that you can't edit something if an original copy is not available,  what happens in offline working if you create a new note with attachments? 

Does that new note then sync to your account when you next connect?  (I'm not in a position to test that at present,  but I will do so tomorrow!) 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, ssm said:

Thanks @agsteele, from your reply, it sounds like space is needed on my pc for both program files and all the note attachments.

As posted above you can evade this by not selecting to keep a local database in the app settings.

As an alternative you can decide to keep the local data on another drive. This option may be missing when running the client loaded from a store.