I cannot export my notes to my PC.

Hello everyone.

I want to export my evernotes notes on my hard drive to my computer (windows). I have read several threads which explain the following procedure:

"The new Evernote for Windows

1. Select a notebook or the specific notes that you want to export.
  2. Right-click on selected note(s) and select Export....
  3. Select a file format (ENEX, single-page HTML, or multi-page HTML).
  4. Check or uncheck the attributes you'd like to export with your notes (e.g., tags, created date, author).
  5. Click Export. The file will be saved to your computer's desktop.

Older version of Evernote for Windows

1. Click on a note or hold down the Ctrl key and click to select multiple notes.
  2. Right-click on selected note(s) and select Export Note(s)....
  3. Select Export as file in ENEX format (.enex) from the menu and click Export.
  4. Choose the file name and location, then click Save."

But the problem is that the export option does not appear. Here is a screenshot for notesbooks folders (on evernote.com, chrome).

image.png.2757b30aa6fabeb9a2d887b56e9255e8.png

And here is a screanshot for the notes books files:

image.png.a53414c9dfea267049e5ca96e7c7c24e.png

Thank's for your help !

• Level 5*

Hi - those instructions are for the installed desktop version,  not the web.  You can also go to the Notebooks page in the installed app and click the three-dots menu to export the entire conents of that notebook.  (Exporting single notes is limited to 100 at a time...).  Exporting notebbok-by-notbook allows you to maintain the noteboook structure of your account.

• Level 5

Welcome to the forums, @maxime ever. My guess (only a guess) is that exporting is not allowed in the Web version because it can be used on any computer with a browser, and it would not be secure to use a computer in a library or Internet cafe and download one's notes there. There is no way for Evernote for Web to tell (I suppose) that the computer you're using belongs to you personally and is secure.

• 4 months later...
On 9/11/2023 at 8:38 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Welcome to the forums, @maxime ever. My guess (only a guess) is that exporting is not allowed in the Web version because it can be used on any computer with a browser, and it would not be secure to use a computer in a library or Internet cafe and download one's notes there. There is no way for Evernote for Web to tell (I suppose) that the computer you're using belongs to you personally and is secure.

What you are saying is that exporting is allowed in EN desktop because it can be used on any computer with an operating system. And that EN for Windows/MacOS is able to tell that the computer you're using belongs to you personally (is not corporate, does not belong to your colleague, subordinate or relative, is not stolen).

Your misleading comment has demeaned the multi-billion thin client software products. A lot of financial organizations are using thin clients (aka Web version). Poor things are unaware of security risks @Dave-in-Decatur told us about.

Why Evernote needs such a dubious advocacy? The feature is absent cause Evernote did not implement it.

• Level 5

OK guys, let’s take a walk to the engine room:

The mobile clients and the web client only handle one note at a time. The web client has learned for some operations to handle more, but in the background it still does it one note at a time. This is the main reason why these clients don’t allow for a bulk export.

The desktop clients have a local database, which is used for exporting. I think it is restricted to that to avoid huge server traffic by people drawing multiple GB over a web link. The local DB is there, no need to draw it fresh from the server. And the ENEX export is always a full export, not incremental.

The other method (for example by the GitHub project) is to export straight through the API. To perform this efficiently, it uses as well a local database, but outside of the EN desktop data.

This means the GitHub project can be executed without a locally installed client. It can for example be installed as a Docker Container on a NAS. But after the initial download, it will only draw changed or new notes from the server, all existing ones are kept locally.

That’s it, not too difficult to understand why one is working, and the other not.

Thanks for listening, the exit is this way, mind your steps please.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, GopherXXX said:

What you are saying is that exporting is allowed in EN desktop because it can be used on any computer with an operating system. And that EN for Windows/MacOS is able to tell that the computer you're using belongs to you personally (is not corporate, does not belong to your colleague, subordinate or relative, is not stolen).

Your misleading comment has demeaned the multi-billion thin client software products. A lot of financial organizations are using thin clients (aka Web version). Poor things are unaware of security risks @Dave-in-Decatur told us about.

Why Evernote needs such a dubious advocacy? The feature is absent cause Evernote did not implement it.

I appreciate @PinkElephant offering a more solidly based explanation. I apologize if my use of the word "guess" caused you to think I was doing something other than guessing. I hope that I haven't accidentally chipped 20 cents off a multi-billion dollar industry. No more guesses, I promise.

• Like 1