Steep price increase - not small business friendly

69.99 to $129.99? Evernote is used for a sole proprietorship and to track personal and household information. This price increase is ridiculous and I see no new features that make it worth it. What alternatives are there? Damn unfriendly way to chase off very long time users. Looking for options...

• Like 2
On 8/24/2023 at 12:43 PM, tqobw said:

What alternatives are there?

Loads of them that share some of the functionality, but it really depends on your use cases to find something else that might work for you. I don't think there is any one app that has all the features of Evernote... which features are you using?

Here are some fairly recent threads on the topic:

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You need to define what feature set you need.

Then go watching. Most alternatives lack features (but may have others). Most allow a trial for free.

It’s like it was back in school: Only homework done yourself will teach you something.

• Like 1

I have a one-person consulting practice -me- so I have some basis for comparison.  If you put your frustration aside about the price increase, couldn't you make far more than the 60 bucks it will cost you to renew by focusing on generating revenue for your business instead of mucking around looking for Evernote alternatives?  And, by the way, a quick search of the forums here will show you that coming up with an alternative is likely to be time consuming.

When I got the increase notice, I cringed, but then I went immediately back to billable work! 😀

Vinnie

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

Yes, that's the logical way to look at it. EN for me is a tool, not a religion, and it helps me as well to be productive in a very natural way.

In my current project I am forced to use my clients IT - O365, heavily leaning on Teams to organize project related stuff. What a cludge ! Files are in one place (actually on a sharepoint, Teams is just the UI), a lot is in the chat, and then there may be OneNote-s and some folders on a regular server based directory.

EN compared to this is a most elegant, time saving alternative. The main advantage is I can mix everything in a single note, and add my own information to it as well.

Since we freelancing individuals need some additional features like coordinating the work contributions of others, EN had created the Professional level 2 years ago. Even less a bargain than the regular subscription - but it works, and it makes managing projects and virtual teams through EN a lot more productive.

Since we are so good and efficient, maybe we should raise our prices as well ? 

🤩

• Like 1
21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since we are so good and efficient, maybe we should raise our prices as well ? 

🤩

What an excellent idea!  And we can blame Bending Spoons for our own price increase!  Perfect!

Vinnie

• Haha 1

It's not so much the time wasted looking for a replacement , it is the near paranoia of the constant vigilance required as vendors change terms of service.

I need to TRUST my products as my customers need to trust me.

yeah this comment may have cost me more than $60 in time.

What is the value of trust?           The cost of inducing a sense of betrayal?

How much of your service is trust?

• Evernote Expert

Every year about 3 weeks before it becomes due, I start the process of investigating who will offer the best price for my household insurance. It isn't paranoia or panic. It is a task I schedule for three weeks before renewal. Today was the day for that task.

I look at the terms on offer from my existing insurer and compare to other providers. Some I rule out because I don't trust the company or, more often, I don't like their marketing. Others have put their prices up and get ruled out. I'm generally left with two or three insurers that I can see the terms on offer. I do a deal, they agree to cover my house and contents for the next year and the terms are agreed. Nothing more to be said and, hopefully, we have no further contact for 12 months since I don't want to have to make a claim on the policy.

When the policy terms change for the next year and, most often, the price increases more than inflation (my current insurer wants about twice the premium of the company I'm going with for the next year) I don't consider that to be a breach of trust or betrayal. I just review what the market is offering, ensure it covers what I require, and I move.

With other products I start the search a little earlier and, sometimes, keep a quiet watch on developments.

I would only consider it a breach of trust if the insurer changed the terms and cover mid-year and I no longer received what I had paid for. But a change of price or service at the end of the contract is what I expect and I would move on or accept the new deal as best suited my needs.

• Like 1