Slow pdf loading time and problems on PC app version 10

The loading time of pdfs on PC app version 10 is very slow.  i have a lot of pdfs in my notes and they take around 5 seconds to load each time which is so frustrating.  On the old version it was instant. 

Moreover, I need to select view "all pages" for each one, as unlike before i can't scroll as default. 

Does any one know a workaround for these problems?  Is it still possible to / would you advise to roll back to the old version? 

Thanks for your help! 

• hideyama changed the title to Slow pdf loading time and problems on PC app version 10

Thanks.  I am unsure why the pdf needs to 'load' every time, given that i presume it stores an offline copy on the harddrive.  It is slow regardless of whether I am online or offline.

I can only presume it is a coding issue to do with the software which the developers could look into??

It would be useful for the app to have an option to scroll the pdf automatically in its own window.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, hideyama said:

Thanks.  I am unsure why the pdf needs to 'load' every time, given that i presume it stores an offline copy on the harddrive.  It is slow regardless of whether I am online or offline...

It would be useful for the app to have an option to scroll the pdf automatically in its own window.

The pdf view can be set to default to single page, all pages scrolling or just the PDF name. Right click to change the view. You can also set the default view in settings for some ways of importing the PDF.

The offline copy only loads when you are offline.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, hideyama said:

The loading time of pdfs on PC app version 10 is very slow.  i have a lot of pdfs in my notes and they take around 5 seconds to load each time which is so frustrating.  On the old version it was instant. 

Moreover, I need to select view "all pages" for each one, as unlike before i can't scroll as default. 

Does any one know a workaround for these problems?  Is it still possible to / would you advise to roll back to the old version? 

Thanks for your help! 

This doesn't seem to be a universal experience. I have Evernote 10 on a mid-range Windows 10 laptop, and have PDFs set to display as title only by default. When I click on one and then click on the menu and select All pages, they load at once, including one that is 41 pages with lots of graphics. So what you're seeing may not be due to Evernote 10 as such. Perhaps the installation is slightly corrupted, perhaps there is some odd interplay between Evernote and Windows. In Settings, there's one called "Keep a copy on this device" or the like. Unselect that, quit Evernote (File > Quit), and your local database will be deleted. Restart Evernote, re-check the Keep option, quit and restart Evernote again, and a fresh copy will be downloaded. (I think that's the process; not sure about quitting both times, but I think that's how it works.) Could be worth the effort just to see if it gets the function working faster.

• Like 1

i'm not having much joy unfortunately. I tried the above but made no difference. I am running version 10 in a fast new gaming laptop bought only 2 months ago so it's not the speed of hardware.  In contrast my 8 year old computer is blisteringly fast when it comes to loading pdfs within notes, using the legacy version 6.25. I wonder if i should contact support, or uninstall and reinstall..  or roll back to the older  veresion....

• Level 5

Is everything downloaded yet ?

Let the client open and idle, check for network activities in task manager. If it has permanent some network activity, let the client open until the download it done. On larger accounts this can take days.

Yes. I have had the update for several months so am confident all notes are on the harddrive.  Also, whenever i hop between previously loaded notes, evernote still wants to load it slowly and the rotating circle appears for 4-5 seconds every single time.  If this is normal i would have to accept it, but I am thinking whether to reinstall, or use Legacy.

I'm no expert but, if it were me, I could completely uninstall your v10 using an uninstall utility to get everything, then reinstall from the Evernote site, and NOT from the various "stores."   There are a lot of posts about doing this in here that go into more detail.  Doing that would give you some confidence that it's not something with your local install that went wrong somehow.

Good luck!

Vinnie