toolbar 'note' tab contains dead links - Windows desktop vs 10.60.4

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

We have our scanner dump all files into a folder called "Inbox" from which we eventually sort into appropriate notebook folders. Typically, I will start with the newest note, expand it to full screen, gleen what I need from note and then click on the 'note' button in the toolbar and choose the appropriate button (i.e., move note to, copy to, etc). After the previous update (10.59 version) that button has had ZERO usable buttons. You can see what they are but none of the buttons are clickable. I submitted a ticket which was eventually marked solved after they released the 10.60 update but my issue wasn't fixed in that update. So I commented on the solved issue and also submitted another ticket with a screenshot. Any suggestions besides rolling back (I'm not interested in that due to all the horrors I've read on that). Don't want to waste my time uninstalling and reinstalling if others are seeing the same issue. 

Screenshot 2023-08-10 104943.jpg

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  If you select more than one note,  you'll see a blue onscreen menu with various options including 'move'.  Selecting only one note,  choose the three dots menu at top right for these options...

That worked! Thanks

BUT . . . previously, once I clicked "move" it would then move it and open the next note in the folder. I can't seem to find a setting for that to see if it's something I can force it to do. Any suggestions on that?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, BrentM said:

once I clicked "move" it would then move it and open the next note in the folder

Hmmn.  I would have thought that if you have selected your 'inbox' notebook and move a note out of it,  that note would disappear and you'd be left with the rest of the list.  Is that not what happens?  (Away from a computer at the moment...).  Worst case you could save a search for your 'inbox' notebook and click the link to jump back to the main list... 

That's what used to happen (before 10.59). I could just leave my note on expanded version and once I moved it the next in line would open. Ever since 10.59 a window pops up saying "moving note" and it takes longer than usual but it says it moved it, changes the location shown at the top of the note to the new location but keeps the note open on the screen. I really hate to think I'm going to finally have to succomb to buying a 2nd monitor so that I can view Evernote on one screen and Quickbooks on the other. I've just been using split screen for years and it worked. But the expand, move, collapse, click on next note, expand is tedious. It might sound lazy to some BUT when I'm moving dozens of notes a day, I'm looking for the quickest solution.  :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I'm on v. 10.60.4, and I do find that the Note menu is generally active with a single note selected. However, I just tried it now, and when I selected the 4th note in the Notes list the menu was grayed out. When I selected the 1st note, the menu worked, and as I worked my way down the list, including the one where it had been grayed out a few seconds before, it continued to work. Now I can't get it to fail. 🤪

BrentM, I have a work process similar to yours in that I always webclip content or import files into my default inbox, then move them to their long-term folder home.  My Windows version acts like yours - when I move the note I find myself in the folder the note has been moved to.  I'd prefer to stay in my default inbox.  I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature.  It's not terrible, though, because my inbox folder is usually visible on the left folder list, so it's easy to go back.  

I see you don't mention the keyboard shortcut though.  May I suggest you try that when you move notes?  It's shift-alt-m.  Using the shortcut saves me a lot of time since I don't have to reach for and navigate with the mouse.

Vinnie

• Like 1

The greying out of the note menu is annoying. I first noticed it in 10.59 but it is still present in 10.60. I also find that when greyed out the keyboard shortcuts for items in the menu do not work. Particularly move note, copy internal links which I use alot. It's an added annoyance to me becasue I have an AutoHotKey shortcut to open the note in a new Window (I don't know why EN don't provide a keyboard shortcut for this) which relies on "Open in new window" from this menu.

Like @Dave-in-Decatur I can't find a way of repeatably getting it to fail, so I have been reluctant to contact support. I do find that reloading (ctrl+R) sometimes helps. Also most of the menu items are available in the three dots menu at the top right of the note, and this seems to work even if the note menu and shortcuts do not.

13 hours ago, BrentM said:

I could just leave my note on expanded version and once I moved it the next in line would open. Ever since 10.59 a window pops up saying "moving note" and it takes longer than usual but it says it moved it, changes the location shown at the top of the note to the new location but keeps the note open on the screen.

If you don't have the note in expanded view when you move it, the note remains in view but disappears from the note list. However the focus is completely lost so you have to click the next item in the notebook. If instead you press alt+shift+M again the focus appears to still be on the note you have just moved.

I'm sure this isn't intended behaviour so definitely worth a bug report.

• Level 5
14 hours ago, Mike P said:

UPDATE. Further to my earlier message it appears that for me the note menu is always grayed out in expanded note view. When I go back to normal view it sometimes returns to normal. Perhaps @Dave-in-Decatur could check whether that is true for him too.

Yes, I can confirm this. ("Expanded" view meaning clicking the double-headed arrow at the top left of the note, to open it without the other two panels.)

• Thanks 1
On 8/11/2023 at 2:04 PM, VincentC said:

BrentM, I have a work process similar to yours in that I always webclip content or import files into my default inbox, then move them to their long-term folder home.  My Windows version acts like yours - when I move the note I find myself in the folder the note has been moved to.  I'd prefer to stay in my default inbox.  I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature.  It's not terrible, though, because my inbox folder is usually visible on the left folder list, so it's easy to go back.  

I see you don't mention the keyboard shortcut though.  May I suggest you try that when you move notes?  It's shift-alt-m.  Using the shortcut saves me a lot of time since I don't have to reach for and navigate with the mouse.

Vinnie

@VincentC I've tried the shortcuts and they don't work when in expanded view. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BrentM said:

@VincentC I've tried the shortcuts and they don't work when in expanded view. 

Ah, right.  Although thsi might not work for your workflow, if you double click on the note in the note list so that the note opens in a separate window instead of expanded view, the shortcut will work, at least on my machine.  This is how I tend to operate instead of using expanded view, because I have a habit of clicking on the upper right "close X" in the expanded view and instead of closing the note, I just closed Evernote.  Head slap!

Vinnie

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, VincentC said:

Ah, right.  Although thsi might not work for your workflow, if you double click on the note in the note list so that the note opens in a separate window instead of expanded view, the shortcut will work, at least on my machine. 

That's great as a workarounbd but I'm not prepared to accept that menus simply don't work in certain circumstances. We should ensure EN know about this problem, and I'm sure it will then get fixed eventually. Please submit a support request if you are able.