EN doesn't name the exported notebook file the name of the notebook if notebook has one note

I was exporting my notebooks and noticed that for most of the notebooks that have just one note, the filename of the exported file is the title of the note instead of the name of the notebook. This looks like a bug.

• Level 5

If you export a notebook with just a single note, you do a single note export.

The only thing that looks weird to me about it is to have a notebook with just a single note in it. This doesn’t look efficient at all.

Well.. when you create a new notebook, you start with one note and then you add more notes in the future. Who says it has to have many notes from the beginning.
Just like folders on a computer. Some folders have just one file. Some physical folders start with one document and so on.

A notebook is a notebook whether it has one note in it or a million. The export should not care how many notes are in there. 
Plus a note can have a title that has no indication which notebook it came from. I can have a note titled 'July expenses'. If the export exports it with that name,  I have no idea if it came from the Expenses notebook or from the Taxes notebook.

I hope this makes it clear for you.

• Level 5

Usually notebooks are a secondary tool to organize in EN. I use tags to organize - much better, because a note can hold several tags at the same time.

If you are committed to notebooks (folders), EN is probably not the best solution anyhow.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, abdu said:

I was exporting my notebooks and noticed that for most of the notebooks that have just one note, the filename of the exported file is the title of the note instead of the name of the notebook. This looks like a bug.

I wouldn't call it a bug but if it troubles you then you should open a support ticket being sure to explain why you think it needs attention such as your explanation a couple of posts above.

It's a bug if the behavior is not consistant and the same. Sometimes the filename is the notebook name and sometimes it's the title of the note. In both cases, the notebook had one note.
It's not a pain. Since I know about this issue, I just copy the notebook name into the clipboard and paste into the fiel dialog. Not worth my time to open a ticket for EN.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Usually notebooks are a secondary tool to organize in EN. I use tags to organize - much better, because a note can hold several tags at the same time.

If you are committed to notebooks (folders), EN is probably not the best solution anyhow.

Just because you use tags to organize notes, organizing by notebooks is secondary. The early versions of EN didn't support tags. It was organzing by notebooks ever since EN came to life.  That's the structure you see in EN. By notebooks. I never use tags. I place notes in notebooks and if I need to find a note I use search. I know what keywords I know for sure are in a note. I can't say the same thing for tags. That's why searching by keywords is much reliable than tags. I can even search by partial words if I am not sure enough.

• Level 5

The discussion is pointless. If you don’t use tags, you miss a lot of possibilities. It’s like driving a Porsche, but keeping yourself between 1st and 2nd gear.

About the initial issue: You have been advised to contact support. I think that’s in fact your next best step.

Workaround: Rename the file created by the export.

Read my comment to another fellow about opening a ticket with supoort. I already know I can contact support. It's not worth it.

Different people use tools in different ways. So stop suggesting that by not using tags, I am crippled. The way I use EN works just fine with me.
EN didn't even have tags in the early versions.
Your analog is dumb. I drive an automatic any way! If this discussion is useless then stop replying. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, abdu said:

I already know I can contact support. It's not worth it.

If it is not worth reporting to support, why even bring it up here?  Evernote rarely visits the forum, unfortunately.  This has been set up for users.

So other users are aware of the issue.
Because I want to and I like writing posts.

Maybe someone here knows why it happens and tells us the logic behind it.

Maybe support reads the forums. I don't know for sure.

Pick one of the above.

• Level 5

With 121 posts (the later ones about an issue that most users won’t ever have, because they don’t wrap a single note into a notebook) I would say there is room for improvement.

You are welcome here, the forum can’t have enough fellow users who enjoy writing about their experience.

Even if it is about exotic use cases, like exporting a single note by stuffing it into an individual notebook.

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

With 121 posts (the later ones about an issue that most users won’t ever have, because they don’t wrap a single note into a notebook) I would say there is room for improvement.

You are welcome here, the forum can’t have enough fellow users who enjoy writing about their experience.

Even if it is about exotic use cases, like exporting a single note by stuffing it into an individual notebook.

What's your point? I don't care if I am the only EN user who has a notebook with only 1 note.

• Level 5

We don’t care either if it is your personal hobby to wrap single notes into individual notebooks. I wouldn’t say it’s abuse, it simply makes little sense.

It is currently fueling a forum thread that for nearly all users is of little importance.

Point enough ?

The forum is no place for bug reports - if that is what you want to do, you have been directed at support already.

Don't use 'We' and instead just talk about yourself. You don't represent the EN community.

I can mention a bug or what I think is an Issue or something I don't llike about EN or state any opinion I want as long as it pertains to EN.
This is not your personal forums to tell people what they can post or not post. There are no rules that state no bugs can be reported.
You even said it's not a bug. While it's preferable to contact support.
Did it occur to you maybe I am trying to see if it's an actual bug?

It seems with your 20,000+ posts count, you camp in these forums all the time and just argue with everyone. I don't think you know when to quit. So STFU.

I do have a lot more notes than 121. But I will never be able to beat your 20,235 posts. I have never seen someone who had more posts than that in all my years in hundreds of forums.

I have no info about OP's original question.  However, some general comments:

• I organize by notebook and use them all. the. time.
  • I even have a few notebooks with just one note.  (If they stay like that, eventually I get around to reorganizing them.)
  • I use tags rarely and, generally, temporarily.  I find in most cases for me they contribute to disorganization rather than organization.
  • Pink Elephant feels strongly about the benefits of tags and advocates strongly for using them.  I am far from an expert user of Evernote and maybe at some point I will experiment a bit more with tags based, in part, on his perspective.  Meanwhile, I am happy to read about how others use Evernote differently from the way I do.
  • I personally appreciate how willing Pink Elephant's is to jump into forum threads, how quicky he responds, and the depth of knowledge and experience he brings to the conversation.
  • So, Pink Elephant, thank you for you 20,000+ posts.
  • Adbu, I hope you can get this glitch in your workflow resolved.

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2