Lost notes and other graphics when updating from V6.25.2 to v10.50.10. Any better now????

I updated my V6.25.2 some months ago to V 10.50.10. I was aware that I would lose the security in the local notes feature on V6, but I was not aware that I would lose some whole V6 notes and attached graphics etc in the update procress. This was a very significant problem for me. I became aware of this while the update was in progress so I stopped the update immediately. I now have 2 versions of Evernote running on my laptop but only use the legacy V6.25.2 to add notes to, look up previous notes etc, 

I would be quite happy to move entirely to V10 by adding the remaining V6.25.2 notes to the V10 already on my laptop, or re importing the version 10 notes back into the V6 version and then afterwards export the whole of V6.25.2 into V10. But I must be absolutely sure that I am not going to lose any date, note etc from my legacy V6. Can anyone help with this either free or paid?

Robin J

• Level 5*

Hi.  Both v6.25 and v10 work from the same database on Evernote's servers,  so if your notes are visible in 6.25,  they will be visible in 10 - provided you give the app sufficient time to install itself and set up the administration of the new-style account,  which can take a little while.  I don't know how or when you stopped the update,  but I'd suggest you download the latest version from Evernote.com (not any of the app stores) because we're up to 10.58 now on desktops.  Re-run the downloaded installer and see what happens.

v10 uses a different coding system for notes,  so you will find that opening a note takes several seconds as the code is updated when a note is opened for the first time.

(If you're on mobile -you didn't mention your device, or OS- then try re-updating the app and give it at least an hour to organise itself.)

On 7/12/2023 at 12:20 PM, Robin Prospect said:

I became aware of this while the update was in progress so I stopped the update immediately.

Oups - this might be reason of your finding: If you don't give EN10 time to load all things, something has to be missed 😉 

I've tried to move from Legacy to EN10 for at least 5 times (always going the way @gazumped explained) and there where NO losses of data. The only "ugly" thing is that EN10 does not show attachments and graphic in one line:

image.png.c39f09fd6230720fc6a4c808ad37c689.png

will become

image.png.b1399c506534d93ee6d7131bcc48c6ad.png

If you've attached files to notes, the attachments might be loaded later than the notes because they're stored not inside the note body. If you've attached identical files to more than one note, only one physical copy the the attachment is stored within EN's local database. This is a clear symptom of independant storage of notes and attachments - and may result in displaced availabilty during downloads.

• Like 1

With all of the hullabaloo on this forum about the imminent "cancellation" of v6 (and my getting those incessant daily reminders to upgrade - way to go Evernote devs - upgrade through frustration), I finally jumped from v6 to v10 on Windows.

All done very carefully - synced v6 up to the cloud, logged off all other clients, installed v10, let it resync while leaving well alone. For hours.

Came back and found all sorts of damaged notes - images and attachments missing from within. Good lord.

I'm going to try to find what went wrong here, and I have backups, but I'm not going to spend too long; my time will be better spent planning my exit. The v10 interface seems a little better from when I first used it, and I'm sure I could tolerate the differences in time, but I can't trust a service if stuff gets damaged. 

Maybe it's time to focus on markdown, after all. 

16 years, 40,000 notes.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, avevers said:

Came back and found all sorts of damaged notes - images and attachments missing from within.

Very sorry that you had this experience,  but it's hardly the norm.  I'd suggest contacting Support to see whether you can rescue the situation,  plus waiting for a few days and installingthe latest version (10.59?) to see whether that will fix things.  Have you checked other views of the same note(s)? The browser version?.  Although the presentation is very different now,  both Legacy and v10 connect to the same database,  so if you could go back to use Legacy,  then logically your notes are not actually damaged - what you're seeing in v10 is not being presented correctly.  For interests sake:  what's your device,  OS and Evernote version?  10.58.8?

• Like 1

Yeah, tempted to contact support on this one. Never used them before (never had to). Big fan of Evernote here, but this has severely dented my confidence. Obviously I could revert to v6, but I'm trying to accept v10 now (despite that non-resizable and immovable search bar though - gah).

Web notes have these elements preserved thankfully, and I have an (unsynchronized) v6 database on a different (offline, Windows) machine.

This v10 device with the damaged notes is Windows, version is indeed 10.5.8.

My Android device shows undamaged notes also.

Will upgrade to 10.59 as soon as I can, before contacting support. Thanks for the suggestion and response @gazumped.

• Like 1

Just passing through and saw this, so I'll give my similar experience.

I also lost some images when I went from v6 -> v10. The issue is that, at some point in the EN client history, malformed HTML was being generated, which the v6 client tolerated. v10 apparently doesn't only not tolerate the bad HTML, it'll rewrite it to "proper" HTML and in the process wipe out, in my case, images.

The way I figured this out was by exporting a note with the issue to ENEX from v6, then exporting that same note again in v10. From the v6 export I could see that I had a bunch of un-closed `<li>` tags, and in the v10 export that was all fixed up, but my images were gone.

I opened a ticket with Evernote, and after a few months, they did actually fix that particular case. But, I still had all sorts of notes that were losing images, and on top of all of the other one-at-a-time formatting issues I had slowly gotten fixes for, I just didn't care anymore. The import tool I was using for a different notes program was handling the issue gracefully.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, gazumped said:

... so if you could go back to use Legacy,  then logically your notes are not actually damaged ...

Sorry, that's not true in all cases. If EN10 decides to reformat things, this is synced back to server if the note has been viewed in EN10 and got the focus (i.e. to scroll within the note). Because I've invested time in nice formats of my notes (see my example above), every try to use EN10 damages notes that are part of my test 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Sorry, that's not true in all cases.

My point was that if notes looked OK in Legacy,  the content was  not damaged or lost.  I agree that if content is corrupted or missing in both versions,  then something bad [technical term] happened.  Note History should be able to fix anything affected though - and missing notes (that are not in Trash) is what Backups are for...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

To me it seems that the download is incomplete, as already suggested. It depends on several factors, but I needed on a fast Internet connection 4 days until the initial download was done.

I hadn't realised that there's no sync button in 10 (not that I could see); maybe the "instasync" is causing issues with my network connection. Anyway, I left it alone for hours. Still many notes broken, yet some notes are perfect (attachments and images intact). I might well have to revert to 6 (thank goodness for backups), but when 6 officially stops syncing, and that might just be weeks away now, I need to think quickly!

9 hours ago, upnix said:

Just passing through and saw this, so I'll give my similar experience.

I also lost some images when I went from v6 -> v10. The issue is that, at some point in the EN client history, malformed HTML was being generated, which the v6 client tolerated. v10 apparently doesn't only not tolerate the bad HTML, it'll rewrite it to "proper" HTML and in the process wipe out, in my case, images.

The way I figured this out was by exporting a note with the issue to ENEX from v6, then exporting that same note again in v10. From the v6 export I could see that I had a bunch of un-closed `<li>` tags, and in the v10 export that was all fixed up, but my images were gone.

I opened a ticket with Evernote, and after a few months, they did actually fix that particular case. But, I still had all sorts of notes that were losing images, and on top of all of the other one-at-a-time formatting issues I had slowly gotten fixes for, I just didn't care anymore. The import tool I was using for a different notes program was handling the issue gracefully.

This is the thing @upnix - I have no real way of determining which notes are bust. Just random spot checks across the 40000+ show that many are. So it's a case of revert to 6, play with exporting options, and probably quit. A real shame.

• Level 5

As told, it can take a while for the initial download. My 4 days were on recent hardware and a Gigabit internet connection.

You can check in the activity monitor / task manager in the network tab. While EN still produces network traffic when open and idle, it probably is still downloading.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
36 minutes ago, Eden Wheeler said:

To safely migrate from Evernote V6.25.2 to V10.50.10, first, backup V6.25.2 data using "Export." Sync with Evernote servers. Install V10.50.10, import V6.25.2 notes through "Import Notes." Verify migration. To stop using V6.25.2, export notes through "Export Notes." Seek Evernote support if needed.

Erm, why?  Installing v10 automatically accesses the server database to populate (optionally) a new local database on a desktop.  The EXB database from 6.25 is already left in place by the update as a backup (even thought the app is removed) in case anything goes wrong.  It is possible to reinstall 6.25 from third-party sources to revert to Legacy and/ or to extract a notebook-by-notebook ENEX copy in the event of need.  Overcomplicating the update is more likely to cause trouble than solve it.