10.58.5 Release Notes

General

• Updated End Users License Agreement

New

• Spreadsheet Preview setting under Preferences/Notes
  • Advanced Setting : Hardware Acceleration Disable under Preferences/Application (fixes blurry rendering)
  • Low hard drive space detection and warning dialog (precursor to database move functionality)
  • New printing functionality

Fixed

• Note duplication with attachments
  • Note counts
  • AI Cleanup fixes
  • Real Time Editing fixes
  • Sync/data-loss fixes with power state changes (sleep, hibernate, logout, etc.)

Coming Soon

• Change database storage location setting

New Printing Functionality Notes:

• previewing the result in real time
  • multiple notes print, that you can reorder (reodering is premium feature)
  • multiple page ranges
  • black and white mode
  • content scaling that fits content (premium feature)
  • print notebook (premium feature)
  • page numbers (premium feature)
  • fallback to the old way of printing in More Settings > Print using system dialog

https://cdn1.evernote.com/boron/mac/builds/Evernote-10.58.5-mac-ddl-ga-4156-1089b118bb.dmg

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, RMorgan said:

(precursor to database move functionality)

Thank you.  Can you explain this comment a little more?  I thought old notes were already being migrated over incrementally when newly accessed?

The new option coming soon will allow the user to change the storage location of the Evernote synced data.  For example, you can move the data from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Evernote to drive D:.  Mac will have a different path of course and this feature probably helps Windows users more than Mac users.

13 minutes ago, RMorgan said:

Not available on free accounts.

But available on all paid accounts? Just asking, because in connection with pdf export, reorder etc seems to be a 'Professional' feature.

8 minutes ago, janndk said:

But available on all paid accounts? Just asking, because in connection with pdf export, reorder seems to be a 'Professional' feature.

You are correct, it's Professional and Business/Teams tiers.  If you can export notebooks as PDFs, you can use this functionality.

On 6/15/2023 at 8:46 PM, RMorgan said:
  • Low hard drive space detection and warning dialog

I get this now constantly, but my drive has about 110 GB free space. Is this new warning broken? What is considered "low hard drive space"?

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, gewappnet said:

I get this now constantly, but my drive has about 110 GB free space. Is this new warning broken? What is considered "low hard drive space"?

From what I've been told its when you get to 5% of free space left which obviously would be a lot if you have 2TB hard drive and not a lot if its 128GB.

Maybe a dismiss button is needed? Not sure. Some folks dismiss warnings and then complain when what the warning said happens 'cos they forgot about the warning... if that makes sense😂

2 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

From what I've been told its when you get to 5% of free space left which obviously would be a lot if you have 2TB hard drive and not a lot if its 128GB.

No, can't be 5%. My drive is 1 TB, so 110 GB free space is way more than 5%. This (wrong?) message gets really annoying. Must be a bug in the macOS version.

• Level 5

Don’t think it is a Mac bug in general. I got the message on my Intel MacBook Pro, but I didn’t get it on my MacMini M1.

Not sure we will be able to solve this riddle from the outside.

What’s more important for me is the future possibility to move the database to another drive. Would be great if this could be a network drive.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Don’t think it is a Mac bug in general. I got the message on my Intel MacBook Pro, but I didn’t get it on my MacMini M1.

For me it's a MacBook Pro with M1 Pro.

Moving the database is not really interesting for me. My drive has more than enough free space, so I just don't want to get this annoying message any longer.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, gewappnet said:

My drive has more than enough free space, so I just don't want to get this annoying message any longer.

If you haven’t already, I would suggest submitting a help ticket and report this problem to support.

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

If you haven’t already, I would suggest submitting a help ticket and report this problem to support.

So I understand that you have a Mac and you don't get the false message, right?

• Level 5

What I  find interesting - I just made the observation because EN sort of kicked me into watching how much disk space is free - is that my free disk space in Finder jumps by roughly 150-200 GB on ramp up. First it shows apps. 25GB, then it goes up in a blink, and stays there. This is showing in the Finder, not from EN.

It has probably to do with the "drive space optimization" using iCloud I have active. Maybe it first looks at raw data, then it decides that a ton of content is actually on iCloud, and not saved locally. This could explain why it reacts with that message on the MacBook, but not on the Mini.

Both have 150-200GB free space, should be enough to host EN, plus some.

@gewappnet I run a 10GbE network, with a NAS equipped with SSDs as possible target to move the EN folder from the primary drive. From concept I only want applications and what the Mini needs to run on the internal SSD, all data on the network server. With the MacBook as a mobile device the strategy is different.

I too am now getting the "Low hard drive space detection and warning dialog" with the latest update.

MacBook Pro - M1 chip

MacOS Ventura 13.0

17GB of storage space available on a 245GB drive - is Evernote suggesting it wants MORE than 7% free hard drive space to operate -- for an app I enter text notes into?

Please revisit this new addition to Evernote that came with 10.58.5

• Level 5

Beside the question of what EN says and needs: 17GB out of 245GB is dangerously little free space.

Its hardly enough to run a MacOS update. It’s not enough for a regular operation of the MacBook. The Mac needs some breathing space for „System files“, and 17GB is way below what is needed for that. Plus if running short on RAM (I assume it’s just the basic RAM either, like the smallest SSD), it will start swapping RAM and SSD, which consumes several GB in a blink.

I think you better take action to solve this pending problem.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:46 AM, gewappnet said:

I'm also at 115GB free space on my Mac Studio running Ventura with this warning coming up every time and it's both annoying and a little disturbing getting the notification every time. Also the warning dialog that comes up has a link to change this in your Settings, but there's no actual setting in the panel to change the directory. I see it's an upcoming "feature". But thankfully I've only wasted an hour or so trying to find it. 

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 1.59.33 PM.png

• Level 5

As already written in this thread, EN staff confirmed they added the message now, and will add an option in settings in one of the next releases.

The explanation given why the message was launched before the settings are done was that short local space was identified as one of the issues related to data loss reported in the forum, and to support. OK, more than 100 GB doesn’t grab me as being „short“, similar to my own case.

Options: Wait and click the thing away, or use the symlink option to move the database to a drive with more space.

I hope they get this warning tuned, since it seems to build on the relation between total and free space - if you run a large drive, it seems to pops up earlier than on a small one. And it has no relation to the total size of the EN database either.

20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As already written in this thread, EN staff confirmed they added the message now, and will add an option in settings in one of the next releases.

But only an option to change the path of the storage. This does not address the obviously wrong messages. So either they fix the broken calculation of free storage or they give us an option to turn the warning off.

• Level 5

Hopefully they do. From how I read the explanation they felt it to be more urgent to warn users about running short on memory (and maybe risking content loss) than to dot all i’s and cross all t‘s.

As always we expect support tickets to be the best way to move an issue into getting attention.

21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As always we expect support tickets to be the best way to move an issue into getting attention.

Right. But somehow the usual answer "submit a ticket" to absolutely every posting in this specific forum makes the whole existence of a forum called "Possible Bugs/Technical Issue" rather pointless.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gewappnet said:

Right. But somehow the usual answer "submit a ticket" to absolutely every posting in this specific forum makes the whole existence of a forum called "Possible Bugs/Technical Issue" rather pointless.

Not really.  This is a user forum and not an official support channel.  We can provide some help and work arounds, but actual problem reporting and fixes need support tickets.  Also, reporting them here helps others to know if this is a common, already reported problem or not.

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

Also, reporting them here helps others to know if this is a common, already reported problem or not.

Exactly. That's why an answer like "If you haven’t already, I would suggest submitting a help ticket and report this problem to support." sounds like "Shut up, don't waste our time and submit a ticket instead" and therefore offensive.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, gewappnet said:

Exactly. That's why an answer like "If you haven’t already, I would suggest submitting a help ticket and report this problem to support." sounds like "Shut up, don't waste our time and submit a ticket instead" and therefore offensive.

It doesn’t seem that way to me, but ok different perceptions I guess.  I have seen some terse responses and I’m probably guilty as well.  The user forums only provide first level support.  If you have a problem that is impacting you then a support ticket is your main hope to get attention from the company.  When problems are reported here we can’t tell if a problem ticket has been created or not, so a reminder to do so doesn’t hurt.

3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Not really.  This is a user forum and not an official support channel.  We can provide some help and work arounds, but actual problem reporting and fixes need support tickets.  Also, reporting them here helps others to know if this is a common, already reported problem or not.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious given the number of users that have and the age of the product Evernote SHOULD have an official forum. I get the impression they are ignoring users and hurtling down a development path of building what they THINK we want.

cue acolyte responding " This is not an official forum submit a support ticket"

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

Evernote SHOULD have an official forum.

I completely agree.  I would like to see an official bug list to see what is on the backlog, but also not surprised that we don't.

Received this error for the first time today, and seeing as how I'm not on a "beta" release of the software, it's extremely shocking.
What disk space?  Where?  Is that in my Evernote application folder?  I assume that's where it stores the data locally.   I'm using 649 MB and my hard drive has 39 GB free.  I feel like I have some space left.  I'm glad someone didn't just submit a ticket and posted about it here.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 6.03.59 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 6.37.13 PM.png

This apparently is a Mac specific problem.  The free space algorithm doesn't take into account temporary space such as iCloud, temp files, memory swap files, etc.  It's only counting physical free space on the hard drive.  I'm going to make this warning optional and try to get it into 10.59, along with the database location setting that this dialog is attempting to open.  Obviously they were supposed to be release together.

Just now, RMorgan said:

This apparently is a Mac specific problem.  The free space algorithm doesn't take into account temporary space such as iCloud, temp files, memory swap files, etc.  It's only counting physical free space on the hard drive.  I'm going to make this warning optional and try to get it into 10.59, along with the database location setting that this dialog is attempting to open.  Obviously they were supposed to be release together.

Thanks RMorgan.  Appreciate it.

• Level 5

EN has detected insufficient local disk space as one root cause for data losses.

39GB may look as much - but in the moment your Mac starts to swap RAM, or system processes like OS updates unload large temporary files to the drive for install, you will be rapidly running out of usable space. A MacOS update consumes up to 30GB, easily.

So the warning to me in this case doesn't seem inappropriate. You could try to free space by allowing MacOS to manage your local memory using iCloud to store unused content. This requires enough iCloud memory to make a dent into your local memory consumption.

I got the warning with nearly 200GB available - there in fact it didn't make sense, even when performing a major MacOS update.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

EN has detected insufficient local disk space as one root cause for data losses.

Was this explanation provided on the forum?  I try to read most posts but must have missed this one.  I'd appreciate a pointer if it was posted here.

38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I got the warning with nearly 200GB available

I'm curious about this.  Wonder if there's a bug with the library we're using.  It should only trigger at 5%.  I will do further testing.

7 hours ago, RMorgan said:

I'm curious about this.  Wonder if there's a bug with the library we're using.  It should only trigger at 5%.  I will do further testing.

As I said above for me it the same (way more free space than 5%, but I get the warning). I guess the way you request the free storage is not the right one. You should get the free space that you would actually get if the app needs it. It seems you get a different number, the currently free physical space which is not relevante at all as the system will give you much more free space as soon as you actually require it.

But anyhow, 5% space of a disk doesn't make sense at all. Why would Evernote need much more absolute space on a 2 TB drive than on a 300 GB drive? You should calculate the actual amount of space the app needs (an absolute value!) and give a warning if there is not enough free space according to that value.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I think you are probably right - the only problem is that drive management especially on Macs using iCloud is very dynamic. Spoken generalized there will „always“ be free space, as long as your iCloud is not running out of it. But it will only show when needed. It then happens in a blink: MacOS liberates the space a file saved on the drive AND in iCloud, by switching it from downloaded to saved in iCloud. Since it already is saved in iCloud, this takes no time at all. Its just changing a flag, and the space is available.

I have no idea whether it is even possible to check on such a Mac how much space there might be available, given everything was removed from local storage.

• 2 weeks later...