slow note loading!

McVitas

Idea

Hello, this started happening just recently (maybe weeks).

When I click on some note it often takes half a minute or more to load! And almost all my notes are quite short texts without images, so WTH? In the bottom right corner it says "Saving..." This happens both on web client and desktop app! I tried on two computers and it's the same. I thought that desktop app has all notes cached offline, so there shouldn't be any network bottleneck. It doesn't matter which notebook I am in or what is the age of the note.

You know why I have been using EverNote instead of OneNote? Because OneNote has really slow web client, but unfortunately now it seems to be on par and I am beginning to fear that one day it will not load at all.

• Like 1

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Look around in the forum, and you get all explanation you need.

We know it started with the rollout of RTE, but we don’t know when it will stop, either by improving the conversion on the clients, or moving to a server side conversion.

Issue a support ticket to contact EN about it. They likely already have a nice stack of these tickets by now.

• Level 5

Honestly, it's probably better not to further overload Support with this. See for instance the thread below. When loading a note for the first time since the new sync structure was implemented, it must first be converted to that structure, either on your computer for desktop apps or on Evernote's servers for Web and mobile clients (I think). This takes time (usually only a few seconds for me, but sometimes much longer), and overall their system seems strained by the process.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
57 minutes ago, hormigon said:

I am having the same problem. Every time I click on a note to view the content, it takes many seconds to load the note content.

I use the Chrome browser to access Evernote.

The explanation is given in my post immediately preceding yours. There really isn't anything else to say.

Does this mean that I need to click on ALL my notes one by one and wait to trigger some conversion and then it will make them faster to load next time? Well unfortunately even this weird way doesn't seem to be working. I have just tried opening a note from May 31st (on web client) which I worked with many times in last few days and it again took about half a minute to show.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Since we all (users) have a certain gap of official information about what’s going on, we can just try to keep up by what is posted here.

Currently the conversion is on demand, when opening an older note for the first time. It shouldn’t repeat itself for the same note - that’s the theory.

I experience some notes to open fast, and others with a significant lag. At the moment I don’t see the pattern behind it.

What was reported is that the web client opens everything quite snappy. Maybe an option for the current situation ?

I never thought I would say this but slow loading is making Evernote unusable for me.

If I create a note it appears in the list of notes.....but no note.....after a while note appears.....maybe after 5 minutes I can paste content into the note...but it does not appear as snippet in list of notes.

Web version seems better and borderline usable.

Bending spoons need to stabilise/fix current system before rolling out any more " improvements".

At the moment we are staring at a new high tec italian sports car..that either doesn't start or stalls as it chugs along at 2 mph.

Please people don't insult my intelligence by telling me to submit a support ticket.

EN is broke- BS read this forum- get it fixed or loose a lot of people.

-MAC running latest Evernote

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert
5 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

Please people don't insult my intelligence by telling me to submit a support ticket.

EN is broke- BS read this forum- get it fixed or loose a lot of people.

No intention of insulting anyone but a support ticket guarantees that your voice is added to the others who are raising this issue. Evernote staff do, sometimes, read these threads but by no means all the time.

I completely agree that this issue needs to be resolved.  I am pretty certain that the developers are equally aware. As someone else noted, we've seen a number of revisions to version 10.57 which indicates some action underway to resolve things.

Please submit a ticket to ensure that the awareness of the issue is raised. Not an attempt to insult anyone's intelligence - just a request to join in the class action...

• Like 2
  • Level 5
38 minutes ago, agsteele said:

No intention of insulting anyone but a support ticket guarantees that your voice is added to the others who are raising this issue. Evernote staff do, sometimes, read these threads but by no means all the time

... and in fact at one point said explicitly in a forum post that creating a support ticket is the best way to draw their attention to a problem. I've found note responsiveness to be erratic on all platforms. This morning I opened an older note in Android and it took close to a minute to appear. Fortunately I was eating breakfast at the time, so I could just take a few bites and then edit the note when it finally displayed. At other times notes just appear, even ones that might need a conversion.

• Like 1

When used offline (turning off Wi-Fi), loading is faster as before. While it's not the best way to use it offline, it may be a better option when viewing a large amount of past notes.

Ticket submitted- but I am actively looking for an alternative. I suspect they have not heard of the concept of "beta testing"...relying on customers to tested their flawed code. At they have maintained a degree of consistency and continue with the same approach as the previous mob.

• Like 1

I have reported my problems with the slow loading times on new AND old notes. I experience the problem on my Mac client as well as on Evernote web.

VERY frustrating to wait for a small 643 bytes sized note to load for over 60 seconds! Unacceptable. 

• Like 1
On 6/2/2023 at 1:19 PM, PinkElephant said:

What was reported is that the web client opens everything quite snappy. Maybe an option for the current situation ?

I am sorry but you should read more carefully before answering - I have said that this problem happens on both web client and the desktop app and I have said it twice! Just now I opened a very short note modified yesterday and it took maybe about 40seconds - in web client.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, RobertJLee said:

Significantly perhaps NO RESPONSE from Evernote "support" after 4 days. This is not good enough.

I would probably feel the same. However, given the fact that this is a well-known issue that they are already working on, I'm not sure what response they could give, other than "This is a known issue and we're working on it." Still, I suppose even that much would feel like attention was being paid.

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to take a moment here to affirm that we are in the progress of swiftly correcting the root cause of this issue on the backend. My team and I have been more inundated with ticket volume than usual on the support side, but we're tackling this and making organizational improvements to get those wait times back to normal. 

Thank you all for bringing this to our attention. I hear you all and I want to tell you that your feedback is very important to us. I'll be articulating it personally to the appropriate stakeholders. 

Notably yours - Molly 

14 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I would probably feel the same. However, given the fact that this is a well-known issue that they are already working on, I'm not sure what response they could give, other than "This is a known issue and we're working on it." Still, I suppose even that much would feel like attention was being paid.

How about

"Thanks for support ticket" = Common courtesy

"We are aware of the issues"= acknowledgement we are not all going mad

"We are working a solution" = action is being taken

"We will share developments on Forum" = rather than yet another update where they claim they have been fixing and tuning EN under the hood before rolling out "exciting new features" and no explanation of why they broke it in the first place.

- Get the current version fixed - it is BROKEN

They fail to realise that many here paying for professional etc use it as a tool. It's not a game or a nice to have. T

- They need to wake up and remember paying customers will leave if it doesn't do the job required.

Obviously they intend "managing" their PAYING customers the same way Evernote did, with contempt.

Rant over .....now back to learning Notion and transferring data out of Evernote

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Most support answers are mainly build from text blocks, nothing surprising here.

I found that the answers I receive always hold an individual, problem oriented part. That’s the beef between the bread.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1