Notes pinned on Home now start at bottom

Dave Green
Go to solution Solved by Dave Green,

Idea

A recent update seems to have caused (at least on Mac and Web clients and not iOS clients), pinned notes on the Home screen to be effectively scrolled to the bottom of the note rather than the top of the note. It might be useful as an option, but I miss seeing the title and the top content of the note.  I have a Pro subscription and multiple pinned notes in case that is a component of the change/problem.

• Like 5

34 replies to this idea

On 6/5/2023 at 11:52 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hello, @anon68473, and welcome to the forums. These are basically user-to-user; Evernote staff will occasionally look in, but not reliably, so you're not really addressing them here. Also, it's usually good to glance through a thread first--a few days ago I posted this indication that the programmers are in fact taking this seriously:

Hey Dave, I appreciate the insight, and I'm glad it's being worked on.

But I do want to mention that I *did* read the thread beforehand, and I did see the bit about it being worked on before I commented. 

What I was referring to in my comment was the one person or possibly two people who minimized the issue and said something to the effect of "it's not a big deal to just scroll up. Doesn't bother me."

That was annoying to read. "Just scroll up" is not an acceptable answer for a system defect. 

Again, I'm glad the team is working on it, because this defect is seriously a nuisance. It's still affecting basically every note of mine on both Android and Windows. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 minute ago, anon68473 said:

I'm glad the team is working on it, because this defect is seriously a nuisance. It's still affecting basically every note of mine on both Android and Windows. 

Have you received the v10.58.3 update yet? That seems to have fixed things for at least some uers on Windows.

I also experience that generally all notes have the cursor at them bottom of the note, not only notes pinned on the home screen.

I would much appreciate if this would be chanced again hoe it was previously, i.e. remember the last position of the cursor!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The forum is user 2 user. Anybody who wants something changed should contact support.

I did.  Evernote suggests also posting to the forum in the support form.  I should have mentioned that I did contact support.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
19 hours ago, Dave Green said:

A recent update seems to have caused (at least on Mac and Web clients and not iOS clients), pinned notes on the Home screen to be effectively scrolled to the bottom of the note rather than the top of the note

Doesn't seem to be that way for me.  Using the web client I opened a note from the Home dashboard and the note displays with the Title and first paragraph on screen.

I don't work with a Mac so cannot comment but Windows opens at the top of the note for me today too.

9 minutes ago, ghon said:

Can you please try this on IOS? On Web the cursor is on top. Same note opened on ios the cursor is on bottom!

Exact same thing for me.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:18 PM, Dave Green said:

A recent update seems to have caused (at least on Mac and Web clients and not iOS clients), pinned notes on the Home screen to be effectively scrolled to the bottom of the note rather than the top of the note. It might be useful as an option, but I miss seeing the title and the top content of the note.  I have a Pro subscription and multiple pinned notes in case that is a component of the change/problem.

Having only two pinned notes, which are both table of contents, can simplify the process of adding new links without the need to scroll down. However, it only takes around 2 seconds to scroll to either the top or bottom.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:54 AM, agsteele said:

Doesn't seem to be that way for me.  Using the web client I opened a note from the Home dashboard and the note displays with the Title and first paragraph on screen.

I don't work with a Mac so cannot comment but Windows opens at the top of the note for me today too.

Interesting.  Evernote support has duplicated the problem.

On 5/21/2023 at 5:18 PM, Dave Green said:

Completely agree. It is annoying and completely misses the point of having a note pinned on the Home Screen. If you can't see the title, it is meaningless. Please fix this.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 5/24/2023 at 5:40 PM, Geert Poels said:

Completely agree. It is annoying and completely misses the point of having a note pinned on the Home Screen. If you can't see the title, it is meaningless. Please fix this.

Welcome to the forums. Judging from most of the posts here, the problem seems limited to Mac (I don't see it on Windows or Android). FYI, these are user to user forums, not a way of addressing Evernote directly. To do that, contact support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

• Level 5

Well, now a few hours later I am seeing it in the Android app, on some notes but not others, whether I open them from the recent notes from the Home page or from the Notes list or a notebook. It does not actually happen with my one note pinned to Home. I'm seeing enough other weirdness that I don't have time to report it all to support. I am crossing my fingers that it's all related to the growing pains of the new RTE/sync structure, and will pass. Soon, I hope.

• Level 5

After updating my Mac to 10.57.6 direct the problem is now happening there as well. There even the view on the pinned content is „the bottom view“. On iOS the pinned note shows the top - on opening it it moves to the bottom now.

Nuisance for me, nothing serious. But of course a fix would be nice.

• Level 5

1) It is known, repeating it doesn't change anything.

2) Only users here, we don't code.

3) At least on iOS, when I tap at the very top of the screen (where the little symbols for network, battery and the rest are), it takes me right to the top of what I am watching at: Web sites, Emails or EN Notes. No need to scroll it all by swiping wildly.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:25 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

In a thread reporting this in the Android forum, an Evernote staffer says they're working on it:

Thanks. I just want to point out that this is a problem in Windows as well so it's not just iOS or Android. 

Regarding this suggestion by @bmcl26:

Having only two pinned notes, which are both table of contents, can simplify the process of adding new links without the need to scroll down.

Sure. But I don't use my pinned notes that way. I have a pinned note with my most urgent to-do list, where the highest priorities are at the top. This is what I would like to see immediately when I open Evernote, not the less urgent items on the bottom. (and please don't suggest that I write my to-to list in inversed order...)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, annmagnuson said:

Sure. But I don't use my pinned notes that way. I have a pinned note with my most urgent to-do list, where the highest priorities are at the top. This is what I would like to see immediately when I open Evernote, not the less urgent items on the bottom. (and please don't suggest that I write my to-to list in inversed order...)

Works for me, but you have to do what suits you best.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

…. like writing the list in reverse order, until the bug is squeezed by an update. Then sort it again. After sorting it several times, you don’t need the list any more, you know every item by heart.

😂

Yep. I came on here to see if others were experiencing the same issue. For me, I can replicate the issue across iOS and Android. And it seems to only happen once I save a note to offline mode. Something about saving to offline mode triggers this problem. 

• Level 5
20 hours ago, buckerine said:

Yep. I came on here to see if others were experiencing the same issue. For me, I can replicate the issue across iOS and Android. And it seems to only happen once I save a note to offline mode. Something about saving to offline mode triggers this problem. 

I see it on Android, not on Windows or Web clients. I have never saved any note as offline in Android, but certain notes (though not all) open at the end--they don't have to be pinned on the Home page either. The behavior seems to be wildly inconsistent.

This is happening on both Windows 11 and Android Version 13 for me, using the Evernote Android app and the Evernote Windows application (both of which are fully updated). 

Can we please treat this issue more seriously?

Pinned notes appearing in the proper way is one of the top 3, maybe even top 2 reasons I use Evernote. No, I do not want to see the bottom of the note and be forced to click it and scroll up - as @annmagnuson pointed out, the entire point of pinning a note is to see exactly what you have written in the note... at the top.

My pinned note contains my most urgent to-do list at the top. This defect has been throwing off my day-to-day life for a couple weeks now. It took me years to get into the groove of using this to-do list method... I really do not want to have to change this up.

Please fix this. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hello, @anon68473, and welcome to the forums. These are basically user-to-user; Evernote staff will occasionally look in, but not reliably, so you're not really addressing them here. Also, it's usually good to glance through a thread first--a few days ago I posted this indication that the programmers are in fact taking this seriously:

• Level 5

It will eventually be fixed by an update.

To go to the top, simply tap on the very top of the screen, where the indicators for battery and network are located.

This moves to the start of the note without scrolling through.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, Ron94188 said:

Having same issue with iPhone.  How can it be fixed. Have had EverNote for years and some notes are very long so, no, it’s not just a second to scroll to the top.  

Please read the post IMMEDIATELY BEFORE YOURS.