Evernote android sync broken again?

Evernote android sync is extremely slow at the moment - not sure if it syncs at all? Some notes made for our ago, still have that "green circle" running, although it seems they are in sync.

A new test note - testing another bug - still not synced after 20 minutes! 😒

image.thumb.jpeg.a163c6992808d4925a6c06a3a8519b7a.jpeg

15 minutes ago, janndk said:

...although it seems they are in sync.

Hasn't this been a known bug for months: everything has been synced, but the green circle incorrectly indicates that this is not the case?

7 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Hasn't this been a known bug for months: everything has been synced, but the green circle incorrectly indicates that this is not the case?

Yes, other people have rapporting that too. But at the moment the sync is totally broken. Been waiting now 50 minutes for a note to sync.

8 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Anyhow, my old A50 is still very responsive since the RTE release 🤞

Mine was very responsive - but now the sync is broken again.

Maybe Spending Spoons' AI thinks i'm reporting too many bugs, and is now punishing me with cutting the connection? 🤔

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Just saved a test note on my Android tablet - 2 seconds later it's on my desktop account,  but the green circle was still showing...10 seconds later the green circle is gone.  Turns out I sent myself a 2MB image,  so maybe it was still syncing.

You could email the note to yourself as backup and once received,  do the restart app / power the device off and on again dance...?

32 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Just saved a test note on my Android tablet - 2 seconds later it's on my desktop account,  but the green circle was still showing...10 seconds later the green circle is gone.  Turns out I sent myself a 2MB image,  so maybe it was still syncing.

You could email the note to yourself as backup and once received,  do the restart app / power the device off and on again dance...?

I used that manual sync button in EN android, and the sync finally went through.

Thanks for your suggestion for emailing backup etc 👍 But the note itself isn't important, I'm just doing some testing. At the moment Evernote isn't suitable for professional or other important use. 😒

And about Evernote and email: that was the thing I was testing, when running again into a new problem 🤥

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, janndk said:

At the moment Evernote isn't suitable for professional or other important use. 😒

Not to criticize, but although that's what you're experiencing, it's not universally true. I did see some moments of slowness on Android yesterday, but things did sync, and today it's working very fast. Sync experience still seems to be uneven, which is a problem for those having issues with it, but not evidence of general unsuitability IMHO.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, janndk said:

I used that manual sync button in EN android, and the sync finally went through.

I assume you mean the "swipe down sync"? I think this is finally doing something.

1 minute ago, eric99 said:

Thanks, I used that before but I have the impression that the swipe down works too now...

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip! 👍😀

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Not to criticize, but although that's what you're experiencing, it's not universally true. I did see some moments of slowness on Android yesterday, but things did sync, and today it's working very fast. Sync experience still seems to be uneven, which is a problem for those having issues with it, but not evidence of general unsuitability IMHO.

Sync problems are probably (hopefully!) temporary issue - although extremely annoying - but the problem is Evernote being generally so buggy at the moment, that it's unusable and can't be trusted.

You can see my buggy list here https://www.evernote.com/shard/s56/sh/d4cf7dec-31f9-0736-f14d-b823a788a5d9/FF921ocPGRqO8ehhavGSRpUbTOCJ5Sz8rEvYL85QptWt5yqFtSW_TWi9Xw

I stopped active use of Evernote about a month ago, and exported all my important stuff, projects and tasks to other apps.

However, I'm still hoping for a miracle to happen and all the bugs fly away. Or at least get just some trustworthy feedback from EN/BS support. But unfortunately it seems and feels that they don't really care.

My subscription ends during june, (I have canceled the renewal). Let's see how it goes. I really would like to continue to use Evernote, but can't keep paying for software that doesn't work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, janndk said:

Evernote being generally so buggy at the moment, that it's unusable and can't be trusted.

I think @Dave-in-Decatur's point is that it depend who and where you are,  and what exactly you're doing.  I'm operating normally with no complaints at present,  and -presumably- so is he.  If you're motivated to have a long list of perceived bugs,  then you may be expecting Evernote to do too much. 

In my (long and frequently unhappy) experience with tech,  I have noticed that things crop up from time to time which I then have to work around... and then they go away. 

Given that Evernote depends so much on other services - including browsers / websites / internet connections / operating systems - all of whom can randomly change what they do without asking anyone else's permission,  it's not surprising that they play an endless game of catchup,  fixing stuff that worked laast week but doesn;t work any more.

I'm glad (amd mildly surprised) that it all (usually) hangs together as well as it does!

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think @Dave-in-Decatur's point is that it depend who and where you are,  and what exactly you're doing.  I'm operating normally with no complaints at present,  and -presumably- so is he.  If you're motivated to have a long list of perceived bugs,  then you may be expecting Evernote to do too much. 

In my (long and frequently unhappy) experience with tech,  I have noticed that things crop up from time to time which I then have to work around... and then they go away. 

Given that Evernote depends so much on other services - including browsers / websites / internet connections / operating systems - all of whom can randomly change what they do without asking anyone else's permission,  it's not surprising that they play an endless game of catchup,  fixing stuff that worked laast week but doesn;t work any more.

I'm glad (amd mildly surprised) that it all (usually) hangs together as well as it does!

I'm glad it works for you.

But exporting and sharing information from notes is an essential part of my workflow. And that's the whole basic core idéa of Evernote - easily collecting, organizing and sharing things.

I'm paying a "professional" subscription just because of some so-called advanced pdf functions (in Evernote you have to pay for just some very basic things!). I'm paying - Evernote doesn't deliver!

• Evernote Expert
16 minutes ago, janndk said:

I'm paying - Evernote doesn't deliver!

We can see that. I'd be banging on the Evernote front door. Creating lists in these forums is really an invitation to we fellow users to chip in but I suspect that you might find that generally frustrating. Certainly no answers to your issues coming...

Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 5/13/2023 at 12:23 PM, janndk said:

Thanks. Looking it over, I see that the problems for you are mainly with checklists becoming bulleted lists, PDF export (and sometimes printing), and various Android issues, esp. involving widgets. These are mostly not circumstances that I happen to encounter often, hence our different perspectives. I have seen the text corruption with accented characters and non-Roman alphabets with notes created via widgets and quick note.

36 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks. Looking it over, I see that the problems for you are mainly with checklists becoming bulleted lists, PDF export (and sometimes printing), and various Android issues, esp. involving widgets. These are mostly not circumstances that I happen to encounter often, hence our different perspectives. I have seen the text corruption with accented characters and non-Roman alphabets with notes created via widgets and quick note.

I try to keep track of all bugs that I find disturbing, but my main issue is continuing problems with pdf export. And there have been a lot of other pdf problems in the past.

Sync seems to work today.

On 5/13/2023 at 1:27 PM, janndk said:

...at the moment Evernote isn't suitable for professional or other important use...

I agree. I cannot trust Evernote enough. On a weekly basis I have "strange" problems on Android. Like snapshots suddenly not appearing in notes, me killing the app after 10 minutes, also (on other moments) the same mentioned green busy-circles for hours and hours, so needing to retake/resend via Braintoss to my Evernote e-mailaddress. Swipe down doesn't seem to help, "sync" button in settings also not. Also searches not working a while. Evernote desktop seems more reliable, though I have once a week stuttering searches, or not being able to find things. It seems to have something to do with out of date in indices on tags I suspect, showing old results or no results. It seems to have something to do with intensive use of tags on both desktop and Android. I change them a lot because I use GTD/TSW for my company. My 15.000 notes have 3-5 tags on average. I add/remove a few hunderd tags every day, to manage knowledge/projects. Do you use tags @janndk and if so, in what way?

On 5/13/2023 at 11:01 PM, bmcl26 said:

Just added a note to Android phone using web clipper and it synced with Server within 12 secs

Addition to my complaint: Most times I experience this correct behaviour as well. The unpredictability makes Everntoe difficult to use right now. I have found no better alternative, yet. But it really hurts my "happiness and productivity/flow".

6 hours ago, MvdH said:

Addition to my complaint: Most times I experience this correct behaviour as well. The unpredictability makes Everntoe difficult to use right now. I have found no better alternative, yet. But it really hurts my "happiness and productivity/flow".

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing. I can relate as I had slow sync problems in the past, but I'm pleased to say that it's all sorted now and working well.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I'm pleased to say that it's all sorted now and working well.

The same for me, and moreover it remains stable and very responsive even after 10 days of intensive use, which was completely different before the RTE release!

• Like 1