Where is 'Convert note to PDF' gone?

Go to solution Solved by Feitz,

Hi, I finally had to switch to Evernote 10 because of a Macos update to Ventura. 

One (of many) issues I have with EN10 is that I can't figure out how to convert a note to a PDF, a feature of EN7 that I used quite frequently. 

It was as simple as 'right-click' on the note, convert note to PDF and bingo.

Unless I'm missing something now I have to 'Export as PDF', store locally, reimport into Evernote and loose the source link and proper formatting in the process.

Who develops such nonsense???

Evernote has been an integral part of my workflow and after 2+ years since release the 'new' Evernote is still hardly usable for me.

Unless, as I said, I am missing something...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Before you use strong word and expose yourself as inpatient and impolite, you should take the time to familiarize yourself with the new client. Preferably take your time, else you may overlook what is in the right click menu when you click on a note (EN Mac 10.54 on Ventura):

image.png.eef47eb9c99cc5035ee9501b00b6d4f2.png   ... and bingo

• Sad 1

OK, this is exactly what I described in my post.

' now I have to 'Export as PDF', store locally, reimport into Evernote and loose the source link and proper formatting in the process."

Instead of a simple right-click and 'convert to PDF' within Evernote - which worked flawlessly - I now have to export, store, reimport, reenter the source link and live with the formatting not being preserved.

I am not impatient, unfortunately I have 10K plus notes in Evernote (not all cat pictures) and had to leave a perfectly working environment for something that - well - doesn't work properly. 

• Like 1

You could set up an import folder and export the PDF to that folder and then it would automatically get ingested back into Evernote: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004967-Create-import-folders. I don't believe the Evernote version of legacy on MacOS had import folders, but the Windows version did (if I'm recalling correctly).

What is your use case for exporting a note as a PDF like that, if I may ask?

I just tested the formatting for the PDF generation on legacy Evernote vs version 10 Evernote and the formatting seems similar to me. The legacy version exported the note in a really tiny font though -- pretty hard to read, while the Version 10 Evernote exported in a font that I think is actually a little too big for my liking. I think I need the 3rd goldilocks font size I suppose. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Level 5

What is so surprising about a menu item doing exactly what it is called ?

It was explicitly asked by many users to get a better control about the export, so EN added the export dialogue that allows to deselect pages from the exported pdf, plus some more layout options. But since you sticked with deprecated software for (too) long, you didn't notice the vast improvements the "Export as pdf" function received.

So, this is what you got.

As a long term Mac user you are for sure absolutely aware about the possibility to use the "Print note" (cmd-P) command, which even allows to use a keyboard shortcut. It holds as part of the standard Mac print dialogue several options to export and further process a pdf. But since you explicitly asked for the right click menu (that doesn't show the print option) I didn't mention it ...

@Boot17 No, Mac legacy had no Import folders. So probably the thread owner doesn't want to learn about it, since he is still mourning the demise of his legacy cul de sac software. And he asked for moving stuff out of EN, so we probably wait until tomorrow to explain the new ways to get stuff into it.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

I'm only a humble Windows user so I might be missing something here - but the original question was:

1 hour ago, Feitz said:

how to convert a note to a PDF

...and the answer -as above- is to either export as PDF or to print it to PDF.

I do understand that you may have a not that is not PDF to begin with,  and therefore you would need to export / print to PDF and then replace the existing not-PDF note with an actual PDF...  but why would you wish to?

If the answer is:  to send the note to someone else - then why not just send the PDF and forget about it?  You have a perfectly good note that is not annoying anyone and which can be exported again if you wish.  Why make extra work?

Clearly,  I'm a Windows user - I'm missing something;  but I'm willing to learn...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Feitz said:

Hi, I finally had to switch to Evernote 10 because of a Macos update to Ventura. 

One (of many) issues I have with EN10 is that I can't figure out how to convert a note to a PDF, a feature of EN7 that I used quite frequently. 

It was as simple as 'right-click' on the note, convert note to PDF and bingo.

Unless I'm missing something now I have to 'Export as PDF', store locally, reimport into Evernote and loose the source link and proper formatting in the process.

Who develops such nonsense???

Evernote has been an integral part of my workflow and after 2+ years since release the 'new' Evernote is still hardly usable for me.

Unless, as I said, I am missing something...

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your workflow - are you under the impression that exporting to pdf deletes the original note? It does not. Your original note remains intact, so there's no need to reimport anything after exporting to PDF, unless there's something we're all missing in terms of your workflow and desired outcome.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments, I'll try to clarify...

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

I do understand that you may have a not that is not PDF to begin with,  and therefore you would need to export / print to PDF and then replace the existing not-PDF note with an actual PDF...  but why would you wish to?

I'm currently archiving/managing roughly 5000 legal documents and try to keep my sanity while doing so. 

I was using Evernote 7 to dump them into new notes, mostly one or two PDFs per note. I then summarized these PDFs with snippets, comments, outlines etc. in the note. This is very handy since I can have the attachment and my comments in one place and my  'legacy cul de sac software' did this efficiently and reliably.

Once done with commenting / summarizing, I converted the note to a PDF (two clicks) which contained a reference to the original PDF files and then copy or move the PDF along with the original attachment(s) to a more structured storage on my Mac (tags within stacks and notebooks  were the only way to properly structure information, but tag management was not so good in EN7 and is completely broken in EN10, so not an option any more).

Of course I know how to ctrl/cmd-p  a noteas a PDF but at least in EN7 this produced far less accurate results than converting to PDF so I sticked with the much faster and convenient two-click-solution.

My initial question was whether I missed this feature in EN10 or whether it is simply gone.

Exporting, reimporting, loosing formatting and source link all makes the process far more complicated and a nuisance when you have to process so many files.

That's why I asked.

Thanks, Claus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for elaborating. I think use cases are far more important than features.

As it was already posted, if you export the pdf straight into an Import Folder, you get the pdf imported into a selected notebook right away. The file name of the pdf will become the title of the new note.

Maybe this could be part of an efficient solution.

• Like 1