Dashboards

Sorry if this is in wrong section I could not add to Desktop answers....

Im trying to create an individual "Dashboard" for each of several projects I am involved in.

I can add

• links to files
  • Tasks

But I cannot figure out how to link to a NOTEBOOK or a a shortcut.

Is this possible?

I can use shortcuts at left hand side but list is getting too long

Or I could use notes within Home page with filters but you cant have multiple "home" pages.

So simple question is it possible to have a link to a NOTEBOOK which can be placed within notes?

Am I missing the obvious?

Thanks all.

• Level 5

The „public“ link to a notebook is not available any more.

You can easily create a main project note, with a collection of key information and links to other notes. The links are a sort of dashboard - you can make them show as title only, or a preview. Backlinks are inserted automatically into all linked notes, allowing easy navigation.

Main notes for active projects can then be listed in shortcuts. Once the project is done, the shortcut is removed. For easier archiving you can then merge all notes into one big project note.

In general I would not use one notebook for each project - I would prefer using tags to group notes into projects. If you have notes used in several projects, adding a tag is a better approach than duplication of these notes.

• Level 5*

If you consider 'dashboards' as tables of content,  it's fairly easy to set up a complicated hierarchy - all you need is a searchable keyword,  whether as a tag or a common title.  Now with links and backlinks you can create a Project ToC,  and add a list of level 2 keywords.  Each of those becomes its own ToC for project stages,  and each of those level 2 stages can be ToCs for level 3,  and so on.

ToCs can be added to through searches,  creating new entries and dragging and dropping existing notes as required.  

I've found that at some basic level it's enough to create a note with a table listing (forinstance) individual emails - here's a recent example:

example_table.thumb.png.e28df2fa9c5874d3e7139e641650a8cc.png

...since I use Outlook and drag .MSG messages from the inbox to the note,  each of those icons expands to a fully actionable email back in Outlook.  This was all about me applying for a particular benefit and missing out - probably because I messed up the initial contact - but it gives a full timeline for one level of contact to which I can attach reminders or tasks to keep on track.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Not directly - I use Filterize for some tables of content.  It 'looks' at all newly-synced notes and can have rules like "if this note has tag 'example', add it to ToC 'ExampleParent'.  You can then link to the ToC confident that all notes tagged with the keyword are listed there.  Filterize also moves notes between notebooks,  shares and unshares and can carry out very complicated processes.  I use it a lot 

Filterize1.jpg.325241af1d1b62146908f954645ec26f.jpg

- (this was doing a bit of mass reorganisation)

It's a subscription service for more advanced usage,  but worth it to me (for the moment...) ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RobertJLee said:

Thanks Gents

So I cant include a "shortcut" to a specific tag within a note?

I am also frustrated that you can't link to a saved search (which could just be a link to a notebook) from within a note. This has always been a limitation in EN, although there was a workaround in legacy using the EN scripting language. 

I also use dashboards and I sometimes include a code box containing the advanced search syntax for a particularly useful search. This can then be copy and pasted into the search box - with keyboard shortcuts (partucularly alt+ctrl+F)  this is not as painful as it sounds!

image.png.8fd98463984cde7fa3f2a6a226b59a20.png
Don't forget you don't have to make saved searches shortcuts. If you name the saved searches by project, you should be able to scroll through and find what you want relatively quickly, as saved searches are listed alphabetically. I've felt for some time that V10 underplays the power of saved searches. Ideally I would like a proper saved search window (like tags and notebooks have) with the ability to organise them in some way. You can also include emojis in the title of a saved search which brings them near to the top of the list and makes them easy to spot.

image.png.c812c32d5a493718f56a48e468cb3ee6.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Well...  If you're willing to work in the web client.  try running a search and copying the location bar.  It'll look like "https://www.evernote.com/client/web" but when selected,  it comes out a w-h-o-l-e lot longer - and that appears to be the route to saved searches,  direct access to stacks and notebooks,  and who knows what else.

It's a hack rather than a feature,  so it may change unexpectedly and depending on device, browser and OS YMMV but for Vivaldi (Chrome) on W11,  it works for me...

• Like 1