Retrieve mom’s last notes

Hi Evernote,

This could be a heavy topic (warning) but your help is priceless to me and my family!

Two years ago from now, my mom passed away because of cancer. I remember her last request before she went in coma is asking me navigating her iPhone to Evernote app. She tried hard to find something to show me, but she could not find it and looked very despondent.

Now I just realize that I could have asked help from Evernote!

She must have left me some final wills in Evernote but I really couldn’t find it. But, that’s my final chance to hear from her will, she left nothing else.

I made this post with mom’s account. I can provide any account information if it’s needed (I initially created the account for her use). This account is in free plan, I don’t know how much hope I could have on finding her lost note…

I really, really want to hear from her, if it is possible. If I posted this to a wrong forum please let me know.

Sincerely,

Lily’s daughter 

• Level 5

My condolences to your personal situation. We all need to part finally from loved ones, but this doesn’t make it easier at all.

You should be able to find any note if you have an idea of its content.

If you can’t find it, take a look into the trash of the account. Everything deleted goes there, and it stays there if the trash is not emptied in a second step. You can search the trash as well, but it is excluded from the regular searches.

If the content is not in the regular notes area, and neither in the trash, it is very likely it is lost. Even support can’t recover a note deleted from the trash.

If the note is there, but content is missing, it can be resetted to an earlier version. The history function is running for all accounts in the background.

To access note history (in note information) you need to be on a subscription. And you need to use a desktop client - mobile and web don’t support version recovery.

Good luck !

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You could find someone who is familiar with Evernote (and who you trust) and give them the username and password for the account.  They can then enter your mother's EN account online and can search for wherever you think the documents are.  It may also be possible to simply give you a file containing all of the pdfs, documents, excel spreadsheets etc contained in her EN.

• Level 5*

Don't know whether I'm missing something here,  but if you can log into the forums with the account details,  you should be able to sign into Evernote.com from any browser with the same information.  Beware that Free accounts have some limitations about the number of devices you can use to sign in - if the account won't load it may be because you have exceeded the maximum number of devices.  If you can wait for a while,  the limit will reset and you can revoke access from all devices except the one you're actually using.  I'll post a link below which explains more.

If you can log into the account,  then you'll be able to look for the last notes created there by creating a filter - another link below explains how - to list all notes created after a certain date - that can be a week or a month before your last conversation.

The note may have been created before that and only changed shortly before you met,  so check for updated dates in the same way. 

I hope this helps.  I'm so sorry for your loss,  but hope you can retrieve some useful information in this way.

Device limits - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068

Filter your notes - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050105293