Wrap text / image layout options?

Hi all!

I was wondering if there is any way to be able to freely drag images around a page (similar to the 'in front of text' or 'behind text' options in Word) instead of always having them be forced to fit on the left side in a line of text?

Thank you!

• Level 5*

Hi.  The only way to place images in Evernote would be to use a table - a 3x3 layout forinstance gives you positions anywhere from top left to bottom right.  You could use your Word layout to create a page,  then take a screenshot or print it to PDF (if you want to display it inline),  or just attach it to the note for future access and editing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 4:16 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  The only way to place images in Evernote would be to use a table - a 3x3 layout forinstance gives you positions anywhere from top left to bottom right.  You could use your Word layout to create a page,  then take a screenshot or print it to PDF (if you want to display it inline),  or just attach it to the note for future access and editing.

Wut, for real?  👀

I just created an account on this site trying to look for answers on the forums.
Surely there's a way? It's such a basic, fundamental thing for a note taking software

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, zenxoe said:

Surely there's a way?

There's no way within Evernote (yet) to apply any kind of layout to a note,  other than the aformentioned table,  or (for text) a few basic headings.  If you have a favourite page layout app,  just use that and attach the output file to your note as suggested.  Despite their astonishingly backward views,  Evernote seem to have picked up a few hundred million unsuspecting users who haven't gotten around to worrying about page layout yet...

• Like 1
On 2/13/2023 at 5:28 PM, zenxoe said:

Wut, for real?  👀

I just created an account on this site trying to look for answers on the forums.
Surely there's a way? It's such a basic, fundamental thing for a note taking software

Apple Notes doesn't allow for it. And as far as I can tell neither does Bear nor UpNote nor Craft nor Obsidian nor Standard Notes nor Nimbus Notes. The list goes on and on of those that don't allow for it. (Edit: By "it" we are talking about "to be able to freely drag images around a page (similar to the 'in front of text' or 'behind text' options in Word") Doesn't sound too fundamental to me for note taking software if no note-taking software implements it.

About the only note taking app I can think of that has an open canvas that allows for it is OneNote. And OneNote note's don't translate so great to mobile because of the open canvas.

Word processors like Word, Pages, Google Docs allow for it -- sure, but of course those are word processors and not strictly note taking software (but can also be used for note taking -- sure -- though not quite as good in that regard).

@zenxoe What note taking software are you talking about where it (Wrap text / image layout options) is so "basic, [and] fundamental"?

• Level 5

As mentioned above, the closest thing to a picture & text placement is a table. It has the added advantage that it unifies the picture width - all pictures inherit the with of the table column.

I don’t think a note taking software needs advanced layout features. One can argue for anything - and the outcome would be a bloated editor, having a wealth of options - and dropping the ease of use we enjoy today.

The current editor packs everything into no more than 2 levels of menus, and even fits on a smartphone screen. That’s important for me in a note app.

If I need layout control, I switch to a word processor or even a layout program. Does the job, but has an enormous number of options, and an even longer learning curve.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

But almost everything with images is broken.

• They only stack vertically.
  • They have a mandatory whitespace under them.
  • They almost never insert into the correct table cell the first time.
  • Scaling them (size increased upwards) is done by dragging the box downwards, so aligning is hard.
  • Copying a rescaled image doesn't maintain the scale.
  • Copying a table with images to a different note permanently breaks those images in the note (you can't drag them in manually afterwards).
  • Thumbnails don't update when duplicating a note.
  • Level 5

Some observations:

You can stack pictures sideways, if you have several table columns. You can stack them vertically, either in one cell, or (suggested) in several rows of cells.

The white space is an empty line of text that is inserted in every cell when the table is created. If you are careful about it, you can delete it. It’s not easy, so I usually just let it be.

Placement into the desired cell is practice, and depends on how you do it, and on which client. The sure method is to place the cursor first, then hit the blue + and use the Insert Picture option.

The placement inside of a table resizes the picture, but it maintains the original size and resolution. This is good, because you can view the pictures pretty small, without loosing quality when using it.

On Thumbnails I won’t comments. There is a long thread about „We want to pick our own thumbnail“. I voted in favor long ago.

17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Some observations:

You can stack pictures sideways, if you have several table columns. You can stack them vertically, either in one cell, or (suggested) in several rows of cells.

The white space is an empty line of text that is inserted in every cell when the table is created. If you are careful about it, you can delete it. It’s not easy, so I usually just let it be.

Placement into the desired cell is practice, and depends on how you do it, and on which client. The sure method is to place the cursor first, then hit the blue + and use the Insert Picture option.

The placement inside of a table resizes the picture, but it maintains the original size and resolution. This is good, because you can view the pictures pretty small, without loosing quality when using it.

On Thumbnails I won’t comments. There is a long thread about „We want to pick our own thumbnail“. I voted in favor long ago.

Thanks for the quick response!
I've attached an image giving some context to a few of the points (tracking some stats for a game).

1. Yass, I do like this! I've come up with weird workarounds to space them out too, like creating a 50x2000 transparent image between things that I can rescale to put some distance between things. It's difficult to work with, but it does work.

2.[img] yeee, I noticed the whitespace was a placeholder for text, which I've kind of started working with to make it look nicer. I've done this by changing the way everything's laid out, splitting my vertical tables into multiple horizontal ones. Which is fine, but it kind of locks me into one way of representing things.

3.Cursor first works a lot better! If I drag something in I will highlight the correct place, but it's always placed in the following cell. If I do the rightmost cell, it will likewise go to the first cell on the next row.

4. [img] Yup, I do like this! but I should have given more context on this one: I more so meant when stacked sideways as you explained in the first point.

5. [img] Copying tables for reference

examples.png

• Like 2
18 hours ago, zenxoe said:

But almost everything with images is broken.

• They only stack vertically.
  • They have a mandatory whitespace under them.
  • They almost never insert into the correct table cell the first time.
  • Scaling them (size increased upwards) is done by dragging the box downwards, so aligning is hard.
  • Copying a rescaled image doesn't maintain the scale.
  • Copying a table with images to a different note permanently breaks those images in the note (you can't drag them in manually afterwards).
  • Thumbnails don't update when duplicating a note.

Over 12 years of use and 29,000 notes, many with images, I have never found a problem.

• Confused 1
6 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

Over 12 years of use and 29,000 notes, many with images, I have never found a problem.

OK, so you have never tried to add text right of an image in Legacy?
image.png.9b72d8718b5b43035d1a42a28bb7f00f.png
EN10 always wraps the text to a new line 😞
OK, even my beloved Legacy version doesn't allow to align an image on the right side or to start text on the upper right corner in my example. But the new formatting possibilites in EN10 are worse at I hope it will get better in future...

31 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

OK, so you have never tried to add text right of an image in Legacy?
image.png.9b72d8718b5b43035d1a42a28bb7f00f.png
EN10 always wraps the text to a new line 😞
OK, even my beloved Legacy version doesn't allow to align an image on the right side or to start text on the upper right corner in my example. But the new formatting possibilites in EN10 are worse at I hope it will get better in future...

Never found a need, I just continue on a new line.

• Like 1
On 3/6/2023 at 8:03 PM, bmcl26 said:

Never found a need, I just continue on a new line.

It's not only a (my? only?) problem with the images. Over 10 years of use and 10,000 notes I like to format notes with attachments like the following
image.png.965930821bbecf35ca32cb45eee70ca2.png

Opening these notes in EN10 changes it to ugly

image.png.006a534b02ae2ca91ae12d6a863d160c.png

because attachments and images occupy lines for itself. 

• Like 1