Sync Question

I stopped using Evernote, about two years ago because sync across my devices was ridiculously slow. I’m curious if that has improved? I would love to use Evernote again if the syncing function is working better now. Thanks 

• Evernote Expert

Sync inevitably takes time. I've not been troubled so I can't say whether it has improved. It does what I need.

A new sync process is in beta test at the moment so changes are likely sooner rather than later.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN never syncs „across“ devices.

It syncs from the editing device to the cloud server, and after that from the cloud server to  the other devices.

It depends on many factors how fast this happens from the initial sync to the last client that will be updated. The master copy is the one on the server.

• Like 2

I've no complaint in the last 3 or 4 months.  Maybe longer, I just don't pay attention anymore to it.  Adding a note to my desktop app (current version EN, mac OS) takes under 20 seconds for it to show in my home view on my phone (same wifi network, iOS).  A manual sync option might be nice, but even when I'm trying to leave work quickly and I quit EN desktop right after I add data or a new note then EN pauses to sync (flashing a message to tell me) and then continues to quit.

6 minutes ago, R.Cooksey said:

Thanks, agsteele and lost_gweedo. Is there a way for EN ios to sync to the other platforms without manually clicking the green check mark?

That's a good question.  In the recent past when I forget to hit the green check on a mobile iOS device, it didn't go well.  This may be from me closing the keyboard case on my ipad and inadvertently making changes (bumping keys as it closes) on the note before the tablet sleeps.

Seeing your question, I just tested it and updated a note on my phone without hitting 'green check'.  After 20 seconds or so, my desktop had synced the changes.  

• Evernote Expert
21 minutes ago, R.Cooksey said:

Thanks, agsteele and lost_gweedo. Is there a way for EN ios to sync to the other platforms without manually clicking the green check mark?

You just have to wait for the sync to take place. But the check mark is always worth tapping. I think of it akin to saving (although it isn't a save button - I just think of it like that)

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Sync inevitably takes time. I've not been troubled so I can't say whether it has improved. It does what I need.

A new sync process is in beta test at the moment so changes are likely sooner rather than later.

@agsteele just curious,  have you already seen or heard something on the expert forum what the actual status is?

• Level 5

If you look around on the forums you'll see a number of threads about syncing issues, especially for Android devices. But most of us who hang out in the forums a lot don't seem to have serious problems, if any. My experience resembles @lost_gweedo's, although I go between Windows and Android devices. So, it's still not 100% smooth for everyone, but seems to be for most people. But if this is the key to returning to Evernote, it might make sense to wait till the new sync process is up and running and working well.

• Like 1