Anyone agree that EN v10 is clumsy in adding tags and then assigning to a notebook?

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

In Legacy you can select a note and assign tags to it through the little box on the top of the screen.  Then you can assign it to a different notebook by the dropdown menu directly  next to the tags icon.  I find that both operations combined take me a few seconds and is very streamlined.  

image.png.a9e5a1e97c1724f6ca224fd8c40f5ec8.pngimage.png.e2c53ad4648e526726eea277f6a57d4d.png  The Tags and the Notebook selections are side by side in Legacy

On the web version or on windows v10 the same operation is more laborious.  First of all, the tag and notebook icons are on diametrically opposite side of the screens (ie:tags on bottom and notebooks on top).  I literally have to go down to the bottom of the page to add my tags, and then scoot all the way to the top to assign to a notebook.  Also, the assignation to a notebook is clumsier because it isn't just a dropdown menu but a "move note" which forces me to select the notebook and then press "done".  I have been using both versions side by side for a while and there is no question that the Legacy version is more streamlined in this regard.  I really don't see any advantage to the other way of doing it but I suppose some people prefer it that way?  Just curious as to why they changed it.

image.png.e9162235277eb7e41ec35cae6442ced7.png this part is at the bottom of the page

image.png.aa9b88688b8f6cadc5b0d9ab5a63d9c0.pngthis part is at the top

image.png.70744fdae92061935d0476ffc18fa0e0.png    Now I have to navigate down to the notebook that I want, select it and press done.

image.png

• Solution

If I am going to use the mouse then drag and drop is so much easier. Drag tags to the body of the note or to the note in the noteslist. Drag the note into the correct notebook.

10 hours ago, idoc said:

I literally have to go down to the bottom of the page to add my tags, and then scoot all the way to the top to assign to a notebook. 

If I want to do everything within the note itself then it's F3 to get into the tags area and alt+shift+M to move the note. In the move note window I use the arrow keys to select the notebook and then hit enter.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Mike P said:

If I am going to use the mouse then drag and drop is so much easier. Drag tags to the body of the note or to the note in the noteslist. Drag the note into the correct notebook.

If I want to do everything within the note itself then it's F3 to get into the tags area and alt+shift+M to move the note. In the move note window I use the arrow keys to select the notebook and then hit enter.

Thanks Mike.  I agree that the combination of F3 and alt+shift+M takes care of this problem.  In general, I should use shortcut keys more often but my old, addled brain sometimes forgets these tricks (not to mention that I previously assigned F3 to open my calculator).   I still don't understand why EN decided to place the tags and notebook icons 21 inches apart (depending on your screen).  In my usage every note generates needs at least one tag and is assigned to a notebook.  This means hopping from the top to the bottom and then into a dialog box simply to enter what used to be side by side.  Nonetheless, thanks for providing the solution. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jon/t said:

You can drag a tag to the note if that helps speed things up a bit.

Thanks Jon.  My feeling is that the feature of dragging tags into notes is not that useful unless you are doing housekeeping and have a series of notes that need to receive multiple tags.  In my case I need to close the list of Notebooks to see the Tags list and even then my list of tags is so large that I don't usually see the tag that I need without scrolling through it.  It's easier to simply go down to the tags section and add tags there.  I'm sure that some people will find this feature helpful but I don't really see a use case for it.

• Evernote Expert

I agree that keeping one's hands on the keyboard is more efficient than switching back and forth to the mouse.

I have a Streamdeck device. I have a panel set up for Evernote and set a number of shortcuts to a single button on the Streamdeck. That way I don't have to remember the keystrokes involved. I tap the tag button and In ready to type the tag name etc 

• Level 5

I'll have to say I never did understand why reminders and tags moved to the bottom of the screen in v. 10. I assume it was a rational decision, but the rationale still escapes me. Yet there it is; it's good to have advice about how to deal with it more effectively.

I think that features that are almost always used together should just remain in contiguous proximity and probably at the top of the page ie: tags and notebook icons.  Things that are used less frequently eg: reminders, "Share/only you" could probably be placed at the bottom.  Another minor gripe is that on v10 once I've  typed in the notebook name eg:Home, Work  it still doesn't go to that notebook.  I have to specifically select it (even if it's the only choice in the list) and then hit "Done".  In Legacy I just click the dropdown box and scroll down to my notebook.  Another nice thing about Legacy is that it places the notebooks that you just used at the very top of the list.  Therefore, if you deal with the same few notebooks all day long you will see them at the top of the dropdown box.  On v10 you are forced to type in the name of the notebook every time and then select it and hit "done".  Admittedly these are first world problems but when you are adjudicating a lot of notes at the same time the extra steps, clicks and moving about the page is time consuming.  Even with the keyboard shortcuts it still winds up more clunky than Legacy.  I realize that Legacy will eventually be phased out but hopefully Evernote will preserve its best features.

• Level 5

I agree also about the value of having the most recently used notebooks at the top of the list. It's a nice touch. OTOH, I actually use reminders more often than tags, so I'd like that back at the top too. Having to hit Done to actually select the notebook may be intended to give users a chance to be sure; I've sometimes clicked the wrong notebook in the old version.

I think when V10 was being released there was a blog/podcast/YouTube thing done by the Gaffer that said only around 5% of folks used tags so the thinking may have been that lesser used functionality was moved to places in the UI that was not prominent... total speculation on my part.