how to make subfolders?

hello; I just arrived on evernote, there is one thing I can't understand, it's to make folders and subfolders of notes, I saw that there is a stack option but it's very limited, I want to be able to make folders and subfolders, for example a Sport folder and in it put a food folder another program folder and for example in the program folders put week 1, week 2 etc., or I didn't find how to do it? thanks you

spacer.png

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums and to Evernote. Lots of people expect to be able to do a hierarchical system of notebooks and subnotebooks in Evernote, like the folders and subfolders in the Windows filing system. I would like it myself. But alas, that's not how Evernote is designed. You've discovered stacks and their limitations already. People who really want a hierarchical system generally use tags and subtags, I believe. I don't, but I imagine that a tag enthusiast will be along shortly to show you how.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

a tag enthusiast

Not how I'd like to be remembered...  - but its pretty simple:  tags (unlike notebooks) can be nested,  so you create your 1st generation tag "Sport" and then add the 2nd gen below that,  and expand the tree as necessary.  Looking on the tags 'pane' you'll see the layout,  and clicking a tag will (depending on your client) give you a list of the tagged content.

It's a kind of 'virtual folder' system.  Kinda.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Not how I'd like to be remembered...  - but its pretty simple:  tags (unlike notebooks) can be nested,  so you create your 1st generation tag "Sport" and then add the 2nd gen below that,  and expand the tree as necessary.  Looking on the tags 'pane' you'll see the layout,  and clicking a tag will (depending on your client) give you a list of the tagged content.

Yeah, but unfortunately,  the sub tag selection doesn't behave like a notebook: after creating a new note, the tag selection is cleared. So whenever you need to add a new note with a specific tag, you have to assign it explicitly. This is not the case with notebooks, once selected it stays there until you select another one.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, eric99 said:

you have to assign it explicitly

You get used to tags (not that I use them a lot...) but there are tips and tricks...  like:

If you need to add a series of tags to a note,  try setting up a 'template' note you can have open on screen to copy and paste from.  Add all your tags to that note,  then just copy and paste individual tags to a note.

If you need to add a string of tags,  set up your template with commas as in:  tag1,tag2,tag3,tag4 - copy and paste the string and Evernote -usually- parses it into individual tags.  (I've had some epic failures with that in v10 - so just check that it does work as expected before you go mad...)

Speaking of Templates - set up a template notebook and create some example tagged notes which you can copy or duplicate;  or use Evernote's template system and set up your tags within the note body to be copied and pasted into the tag field as the template is activated.  (Evernote doesn't create tagged notes from templates).

Tags aren't Notebooks - they're just different ways to achieve the same thing.

• Level 5

The downside of notebooks/folders is that it is by definition one-dimensional.

Say you want to organize stuff by topic and year. Now with folders you need to decide: Topic first - then you need a subfolder year under each topic folder. Or year first - then you need topic subfolders under every year.

With Tags this is simple: Add the topic and the year in parallel - done. Add other tags in addition - no problem. Start GTD - add tags to the existing ones, no need to reorganize anything just because you need an additional set of tags now.

The problem is: We are all trained in tree-type, hierarchical thinking. When we realize it is a conditioning that is blocking our use of better concepts, it is setting us free.

• Thanks 1
On 9/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, and welcome to the forums and to Evernote. Lots of people expect to be able to do a hierarchical system of notebooks and subnotebooks in Evernote, like the folders and subfolders in the Windows filing system. I would like it myself. But alas, that's not how Evernote is designed. You've discovered stacks and their limitations already. People who really want a hierarchical system generally use tags and subtags, I believe. I don't, but I imagine that a tag enthusiast will be along shortly to show you how.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, gazumped said:

On 9/9/2022 at 10:11 PM, eric99 said:

Yeah, but unfortunately,  the sub tag selection doesn't behave like a notebook: after creating a new note, the tag selection is cleared. So whenever you need to add a new note with a specific tag, you have to assign it explicitly. This is not the case with notebooks, once selected it stays there until you select another one.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:28 PM, gazumped said:

You get used to tags (not that I use them a lot...) but there are tips and tricks...  like:

If you need to add a series of tags to a note,  try setting up a 'template' note you can have open on screen to copy and paste from.  Add all your tags to that note,  then just copy and paste individual tags to a note.

If you need to add a string of tags,  set up your template with commas as in:  tag1,tag2,tag3,tag4 - copy and paste the string and Evernote -usually- parses it into individual tags.  (I've had some epic failures with that in v10 - so just check that it does work as expected before you go mad...)

Speaking of Templates - set up a template notebook and create some example tagged notes which you can copy or duplicate;  or use Evernote's template system and set up your tags within the note body to be copied and pasted into the tag field as the template is activated.  (Evernote doesn't create tagged notes from templates).

Tags aren't Notebooks - they're just different ways to achieve the same thing.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:13 PM, PinkElephant said:

The downside of notebooks/folders is that it is by definition one-dimensional.

Say you want to organize stuff by topic and year. Now with folders you need to decide: Topic first - then you need a subfolder year under each topic folder. Or year first - then you need topic subfolders under every year.

With Tags this is simple: Add the topic and the year in parallel - done. Add other tags in addition - no problem. Start GTD - add tags to the existing ones, no need to reorganize anything just because you need an additional set of tags now.

The problem is: We are all trained in tree-type, hierarchical thinking. When we realize it is a conditioning that is blocking our use of better concepts, it is setting us free.

Hello, thank you for your answers you are a community at the top I will apply your recommendations :)

• Like 3

It seems you question I already answered but your example resonates here as I have struggled with the organization of sports and workouts. Being a PT and allowing me to be my own Guinea Pig  I was also looking for more ways to organize my workouts etc.  You could just be an example but it can be applied to many others. 

imanige you DID have a sub folder system here, how many notes would you have per sub folder? Probably 7 for each day on diet and 3-7 for orkouts right? (Depends how much of a gym shark you are😉 ). Consider the amount of time spending to keep that organization in plane AND to find it bak again. 

the power of Evernote lies in its ability to search and find your information back again. The answer for me was just a better way to title my notes. That way only a folder for workouts and one for diet would be enough. 

by applying the tagging structure as suggested before you could generate filters later on an quickly identify what you ate when or you often you did cardio per week for example. 

Evernote allows 1000s ways to organize your personal information so go around and play to see what works best for you. 
The tips from the members before before definitely help a lot. Good luck and have fun!

• 1 year later...
On 9-9-2022 at 18:51, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hallo en welkom op het forum en bij Evernote. Veel  mensen verwachten in Evernote een hiërarchisch systeem van notitieboekjes en subnotebooks te kunnen maken, zoals de mappen en submappen in het Windows-opslagsysteem. Ik zou het zelf graag willen. Maar helaas, zo is Evernote niet ontworpen. Je hebt stapels en hun beperkingen al ontdekt. Mensen die echt een hiërarchisch systeem willen, gebruiken over het algemeen tags en subtags, geloof ik. Dat doe ik niet, maar ik kan me voorstellen dat er binnenkort een tag-liefhebber langs zal komen om je te laten zien hoe.

Ik loop tegen hetzelfde probleem aan. Ik werk al jaren met Evernote en heb mijn notities in mappen en supmappen opgeslagen. Sinds kort kan dat niet meer. Ik zie nog wel de mappen en submappen in het overzicht. Maar als ik een notitie in een submap wil plaatsen (of verplaatsen) dan kan dat niet meer. Zonder hoofdmappen is Evernote nauwelijks nog werkbaar. Waarom kan dat ineens niet meer?

• Level 5*
On 9/15/2023 at 1:53 PM, fransj said:

I'm running into the same problem. I've been working with Evernote for years and have my notes stored in folders and subfolders. Recently that is no longer possible. I still see the folders and subfolders in the overview. But if I want to place (or move) a note in a subfolder, this is no longer possible. Without main folders, Evernote is hardly workable. Why is that suddenly no longer possible?

??  Evernote has never had 'subfolders'.  There are Stacks,  which contain notebooks,  which contain notes.  That's all the options available.