Getting rid of popups advertising deals on premium

I use this product because I really enjoy the UI, however I am not in a financial situation to upgrade to premium - especially not while there are viable free notes app options out there. Is there any way to stop these popups with a free account? They really make my experience much worse and have me considering migrating away completely

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/30/2022 at 9:46 PM, Andrew23 said:

Is there any way to stop these popups with a free account? They really make my experience much worse and have me considering migrating away completely

Hi.  If you find the nagging intrusive or offensive,  then by all means feed that back to Evernote - which as you seem to appreciate is (mostly) not us. 

ALL 'free' software though has some kind of nag system since you get to use the company's products and resources.  These businesses are not charities - the intention is (I assume) that you should "try out" the software and either buy in or move on. 

The fact that Evernote have further restricted the ways in which free users can access their service and have not softened their product promotions suggests that they're feeling that too many users have been getting a free ride paid for by other subscribers.  (On the plus side they do run some substantial first-year discount promotions for new subscribers!)

For those aren't willing or able to subscribe I think Evernote would be pretty relaxed if they did decide to move on...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

One of the advantages of Evernote is its refusal to harvest and sell your data. You see popups asking you to subscribe, not popups advertising law firms or dubious medical products. Basically, in the free-lunch-less world, you can pay with money, pay with your data and privacy, or pay by clicking away popups. I haven't surveyed free note apps, so maybe there are some that are just created and given away for free, no strings, no data harvesting, no ads. How well are they maintained? How are bugs dealt with? I know there are programmers who just like to make and maintain useful stuff, and I respect and admire them as people who give service. But most feature-rich apps need to pay off for their creators in some way or other.

EDIT: I hope that didn't come off as harsh. I understand that people's finances are what they are, and free stuff can be really important. I just mean that Evernote's finances also are what they are, and they may feel it appropriate to repetitively encourage people to subscribe. One thought: If you use the Web client at all (caution: it will count as one of your two allowed devices), clicking on your account name will drop down a dialog that includes a feedback option, where you could register your point. Other thought: If you have hopes of improved finances in the years to come, maintaining a free Evernote account now and putting up with the aggravation of popups can position you to still have all your notes when you're in a position to subscribe.

Edited by Dave-in-Decatur
Re-read the original post
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...

I find this repetitive Pro "offer" a very irritating intrusion. Some background: I have paid for Evernote since shortly after I first downloaded and used the free version back in 2011. I am an old geezer (now 79) whose short term memory was poor back then and is now much worse.

I mainly use Evernote as an aide-memoir to record times of medicines I have taken, other health matters and personal notes such as shopping, online orders due, book reviews I have read online and other penny-ante things in day to day living.

*NOW* - when I do click on the Evernote icon to open it, it is because I have 1 single thing in my mind which I wish to record for later reference.

Evernote opens *AND* up comes "Upgrade to Pro" which absolutely gets on my t*ts and drives my current thought from my mind. I then cannot remember why I opened the blasted app.

Although I pay $69.99 per annum for the Premium account, I pay that willingly because of the great help that Evernote gives me in my personal life. I am paying that amount for an average usage of less than 10MB per month. Checking today I have used 33.1KB out of 10GB, with 18 days left in my present cycle.
Why would I want to pay more! If my memory was not in such a bad state I would have emigrated long ago from Evernote. It is expensive for my needs but it fulfills them.
However, there comes a time when the worm *will* turn and if this PRO rubbish continues much longer - I see today it has been EXTENDED! - I will be off.

Rant over.

Edited by DuvidJay
wrong account type mentioned
  • Like 2
  • Level 5

You are on Premium (which is grandfathered) or you are on Personal ?

It probably makes a difference in how intense these popups show. Being on Personal, my strategy is to click on it as to accept it on the first window, and exit on the second. Usually in the current campaign they won’t come back.

Beside this you can send a support ticket, voicing your request to turn that nonsense off. If enough of us do, it maybe makes them rethink this stupid approach.

• Thanks 1

Hi Pink Elephant, thanks for your reply. I have just checked again because I thought I had entered the wrong type of account yesterday in my moan. Now then, the Windows app says under "Tools/Account info/Account level: Evernote Premium". When I sign in and check online it says I am on Evernote Personal! Whatever it is I pay $69.99 per year for it and that is enough.

I was really annoyed yesterday because the pop-ups had kept coming up previously with the message that the offer was expiring on Monday. On Monday - "Offer extended!" and I kind of threw a wobbly. I've got over it now and although I have not seen the message today, but if it does reappear I will try your suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

• Level 5

Yes, 69.99 is Personal. EN had 2 types of Premium, one regular, one permanently rebated. Those on the regular plan were lifted to Personal for the same price, those on rebated Premium were kept on that level.

Initially there was not much of a difference, but with the new features, this has changed. The grandfathered plans only get the same as Free from the new features.

Personal users should expect some ads to upgrade to Professional (at least as this unprofessional marketing gizmo continues).

Plus and Premium users can expect more nagging, and the most will show on Free accounts.

• Thanks 1

After I complained in a ticket, the answer was that the promo effort (pop-up's) would continue until the marketing period ended.  I think it has, my pop-ups stopped yesterday.

I was really annoyed, and they put the banners/ads right where I was trying to work, so I hear your frustration.  On flip side, I subscribe to a lot of databases/services for work, and most of them are shameless self promoters.  It seems to be the way of things right now.   (I did switch my annual subscription to a monthly last week, to see what the bending spoons thing is like before I commit to another year, perhaps that affected the promo for me).

• Level 5

Probably the same breed of snake oil vendors currently lay arson at the customer relation of the whole industry segment.

Collective stampede, driven from reporting the next better quarterly results.

It is only surpassed by the common neglect of existing customers over winning new ones. In this case, we existing customers would probably happily opt into been forgotten for a while.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

The worst those pups appear in exactly wrong moment when you need to quickly make a note before you forget it but these pops up just ruin the value of note taking. definitely looking for alternatives. plain stupid to push so hard on their potentially paid clients. My mental relationship with these pops ups are getting weird. knowing they likely to pop up at every turn I am reserving mental capacity to fight with them, this in itself break my flow state which is so precious as we all know. very bad practice and clearly against clients