After Latest Evernote Update 10.43.7 it opens the main window every time I log into Windows

Hi team :)

First of all, the new Evernote window layout and all looks great! Immediately made it much easier to see / get an overview of allllll my notes, clips, etc.

Just one issue so far, ever since it updated itself, it now opens the full screen main window every time I log in to Windows :(

I have been closing it each time, but surely that's not intended?

I checked the settings menus, but they have changed massively and the option I remember used to be there ... I can't find.

Please help!

Thanks 👍

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're not a 'team' - this is a mainly user-supported Forum;  but what you're experiencing sounds like Evernote's usual cookie confusion.  If you want your window to open to a different size,  or in a different place,  just configure/ move the window there and sign out of the app.  It will save its setup on exit,  and come back using that same default on re-entry.  If the issue isn't resolved,  contact Support for more!

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

What @gazumpedsaid ^. But to clarify if you set Evernote to start on a Windows login then it will open in a window set at whatever size you last worked at. It will not start minimised.

There is a setting on the way inside Evernote and perhaps things will change. We'll have to wait and see. For now, Evernote starts in an open window - not minimised 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

There are two options which depends upon how it was first setup.

Either

1. Windows Settings | Apps | Startup

Scroll down. If Evernote is shown then there will be an on/off toggle

OR

2. Win+R and type shell:startup in the box which opens.

If there is a shortcut for Evernote then delete it. (If you think you may want to restore the function then move the shortcut to the desktop from where it can be restored).

I understand that a setting will be introduced sooner rather than later after which the first option will be the preferred method and a startup shortcut will not be required.

Hi guys and thanks for the replies however before this latest update, for years, Evernote started with Windows, minimised.

Only after the update last week did it start opening full screen. Not at the size I was using on shutdown, and not minimised like it used to.

Actually, I don't even see an Option to stop/start it starting with Windows.

When last I looked, maybe last year, I seem to remember the Options menu looking a whole lot different. Perhaps it was the previous version? Not sure.

Was functionality such as Start with Windows/login, and Start minimised removed? Going through the current "Settings", it seems very bare compared to what I remember pre-update.

I do like the new look, looks way easier to see things, however losing a heap of Settings seems strange.

I guess I should contact Support, however I am only a free user now, used to be paid but lost my income with Covid and had to cut back on everything I could to take care of the family first.

Thank you for that also. I definitely remember that option being in Settings/Options previously. Haven't looked for so long, so don't know when it was removed.

I'll try contact Support see how that goes.

• Level 5

The only option that has been in legacy settings was to start the EN helper (the little icon, for quick notes and fast clipping) in the task bar when Windows was started. Never the app, from the app settings.

The new version does not have this option, here the helper only starts with the app.

For the start of the main app there must be a toggle set in Windows settings, producing a registry entry. The app can not start itself without.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Mithril said:

Only after the update last week did it start opening full screen. Not at the size I was using on shutdown, and not minimised like it used to.

I had not previously had Evernote running on startup, so I just added it to the startup apps and restarted the computer. Evernote opened in the same size window as in the previous session--not minimized (as it was when I did the restart), but not full screen either. If you haven't yet, definitely follow the procedure outlined by @gazumped in a post above:

• 2 weeks later...

It is extremely annoying that Evernote has lost the "start minimised" option.

If you are willing to experiment with AutoHotKey (AHK) I expect it would be possible to set up an AHK script that opened Evernote on login then found and minimised the window. You would probably get an annoying flicker as the window opened for a few ms then closed again, but it fhat's acceptable it would get close to what you want.

• Like 1