Search not working

Cheong Heng

Idea

My search function isn't working, I can see my note on the "Recent notes" tab but when I tried to search for it specifically, it's not appearing. I noticed this after the recent update, it's not only for 1 note but for almost all my new ones

image.thumb.png.61dec50c7093426530d8128278bd3454.png

22 replies to this idea

Search is not working for me either!  No notes at all when I search for anything. Issue occurs on Evernote Desktop app, Mobile or Web. There are so many updates from Evernote constantly interrupting my work, but what I really care about first is simply reliable storage and retrieval.  When will search be fixed?

@PinkElephant is there somewhere more appropriate than here to get status on the issue currently at hand with no notes appearing via search? (Since you say "This issue is completely new, looks to me like a server malfunction. It has nothing to do with search problem originally discussed in this thread.")

--------

UPDATE

Saw this consistent reply via the Evernote Twitter account:
"We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this. We are actively investigating search issues and are working to resolve these as soon as possible. Please DM us the email on your account, we'll be happy to start a support ticket for further assistance."

So I just sent Evernote a direct message via twitter and got this response...
"I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this! We have implemented a fix that should allow searches to populate properly at this time.

I'm just waiting to see if there anything I can or need to do on my end...

-----

FINAL UPDATE 

Search is now working for me.

• Like 1

09/26/2022: The EN Search Service supporting clients on the EN cloud side seems to be not working across client platforms.  I just submitted a ticket.

Is there something we should all know about Evernote as a company right now when the EN cloud service supporting client searches is down, and the Evernote Service Status page update last said "all systems are running smoothly" but the status is five days old.

"Sep 21, 2022 (3:57 pm PT)

[ok] All systems are running smoothly

All systems are fully available at this time."

There is always a delay between you creating a note and it being searchable, This is because indexing etc of the note is done on the server. Normally this is really fast and therefore not noticeable. If the server is having a bad day or there are connectivity issues it can take longer.

• Level 5

I suspect this may also have to do with the / in the note titles. As I recall, Evernote really only searches alphanumeric characters. Try searching without the /. According to the Help document on searching, under "Searching without punctuation," you can search for something like "http://www.evernote.com/download" by searching "www," "evernote," "com," "download," or "evernotecom". I have a note clipped from the Web that has a | in its title. I can find it by searching for any word in the title, but not by searching for the |.

• Level 5

My test gave the same result. Search delivers the notes, no problem. I made some test notes with the titles in question. When I search the exact title, one note is found. When I search for "BU1/", several notes are showing.

Everything as expected ...

Having the same issue on both windows and mac. A note that I created about five years ago, that has the test 'family addresses' in it, when I search by precisely that string, no quotes, no punctuation, no notes are found despite the fact that I _know_ that note is there.

Edit:

Confirmed this problem on Mac, Windows, Web and Android and iOS

In so severe cases of database malfunction I think Evernote should send its user a notice. Eighter via the app, via webapp or on their own webpage that they are experiencing problems and that this is not a unique problem for each customer! Openness is the best weapon when things like this happen. Use your FB-page for once to inform of some temporary problems. As long as you customers are informed we are much more likely to forgive that problems can happen even Evernote. But the way Evernote is handeling this major problem that hits every customer is amateur hour.  Start pushing honest info to us customers, instead of just trying to downplay  the issue here in forum. Love the service, but be better on information to your daily users.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'm a little confused how this could be a problem with the service. . .surely searching my locally-stored notes is . .. well, local -- unless the issue is a recent update to the software (on all platforms?) broke search -- but I'll be the first to admit I do not understand how Evernote is architected or works (or doesn't worrk)

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, hmackiernan said:

I guess I'm a little confused how this could be a problem with the service. . .surely searching my locally-stored notes is . .. well, local -- unless the issue is a recent update to the software (on all platforms?) broke search -- but I'll be the first to admit I do not understand how Evernote is architected or works (or doesn't worrk)

I don't understand exactly how EN does searches. But if it was only a *local search* on one machine (say my desktop) -- how is it that I have the same issue on a completely different device? And that the issue just appeared today -- on both devices. The issue isn't that the information isn't in Evernote. It's there. Evernote can't find it. That to me (a non-programmer) seems like an Evernote issue. Looks like I'm not the only one. 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, tvslaven said:

In so severe cases of database malfunction I think Evernote should send its user a notice. Eighter via the app, via webapp or on their own webpage that they are experiencing problems and that this is not a unique problem for each customer! Openness is the best weapon when things like this happen. Use your FB-page for once to inform of some temporary problems. As long as you customers are informed we are much more likely to forgive that problems can happen even Evernote. But the way Evernote is handeling this major problem that hits every customer is amateur hour.  Start pushing honest info to us customers, instead of just trying to downplay  the issue here in forum. Love the service, but be better on information to your daily users.

I agree completely. But please be aware that no one from Evernote staff is downplaying or doing anything else here in the forums. These are user-to-user forums almost entirely. To make this complete directly to Evernote, raise a support ticket at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.