FEATURE REQUEST - Restore PDF viewing functionality in a note

CR5150

Idea

Before v10, when you inserted a PDF document into a note, you could view the document via an embedded pdf viewer.  It had scrollbars and you could view the whole document without ever having to leave the evernote note or download it or open it up in another app.

Please restore this functionality.  It was one of the best features of EN.

• Like 1

8 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Since this default isn't going to change at any time soon, the easiest way that I've found for my own use is to change the PDF view on the first occasion that I need an alternative view. (For me this most often a switch to Attachment view but it could just as easily be All Pages). For sure this requires a few clicks but it sticks for that PDF in the particular note and remains thereafter.

A trifle annoying but life is too short to get too worked up about this ;)

• Like 1

Developers - Fix this please!

Failure to make "all pages" a default option is idiotic.  Contrary to a poster who calls this "a trifle annoying" I find it extremely unproductive.  Maybe that user doesn't scan 10 documents a day using Rocketbook like I do.  Every time time I go to see my notes I see only one of several pages until I go through two clicks to see all my pages which is what I ALWAYS want to see.  Why would I EVER want to see only the first of multiple pages of an uploaded PDF?  I've been with EN for 13 years and am just so frustrated that they would dumb down the program and remove functionality that is a key part of many people's workflow.  Again, there is never a reason to only want to see the first page of a document.  It makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Evernote Expert
16 minutes ago, Mattofri said:

Contrary to a poster who calls this "a trifle annoying" I find it extremely unproductive

I was speaking personally. For my use the work around is a slight annoyance. I make no comment on the needs of others. ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

From how I see it showing single pages is quite a logical approach. Pdf is a file format derived from printed documents, these have pages. Websites don‘t, and accordingly EN show clipped websites as a continuous document, without page breaks.

With larger pdfs the default is even „show as attachment“ - probably to save on downloading the whole pdf just because a note is opened.

If somebody wishes for something else, there is the feedback function or a support ticket as means to communicate with EN.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, Mattofri said:

Developers - Fix this please!

Failure to make "all pages" a default option is idiotic.  Contrary to a poster who calls this "a trifle annoying" I find it extremely unproductive.  Maybe that user doesn't scan 10 documents a day using Rocketbook like I do.  Every time time I go to see my notes I see only one of several pages until I go through two clicks to see all my pages which is what I ALWAYS want to see.  Why would I EVER want to see only the first of multiple pages of an uploaded PDF?  I've been with EN for 13 years and am just so frustrated that they would dumb down the program and remove functionality that is a key part of many people's workflow.  Again, there is never a reason to only want to see the first page of a document.  It makes no sense whatsoever. 

I agree that there should be a default setting for how PDFs are viewed, so that users can select attachment, single page, or all pages. I disagree quite strongly that there is never a reason to see only the first page. The first page can be quite useful in identifying a document; it can be all I need if it has a good summary of the document on it; etc. Frankly, I would prefer that the default be attachment view, so I wouldn't have to wade through screens of PDFs to get to some text that I actually want to see. Part of the genius of Evernote is its flexibility. But part of that flexibility should be allowing users to default to their preferred views.

This forum, but the way, is precisely intended for feature requests. There is an arrow at the top to vote this request up. I've upvoted it; so far I'm the only one.