Scroll bar too small

Apologese. Not sure if this is how or where you post questions...🤒 i'm sick with menopause.

I am having problems with the scroll bar attached to note and notebooks. Its appears too small and i'm constantly moving notes or other noteboooks when in fact I just what to scroll down to what I want or the icon to move it bigger or smallers appears. Incredibly frustrating.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:00 PM, Jackar00 said:

Apologese. Not sure if this is how or where you post questions...🤒 i'm sick with menopause.

I am having problems with the scroll bar attached to note and notebooks. Its appears too small and i'm constantly moving notes or other noteboooks when in fact I just what to scroll down to what I want or the icon to move it bigger or smallers appears. Incredibly frustrating.

Have you already tried the scroll wheel instead ?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The scroll wheel is a good solution for most people. It aggravates my carpal tunnel and makes my forearm very, very painful. I actually have the scroll wheel taped down so I don't use it. Is there a way to make the scroll bars wider in Evernote? 

Evernote (and all of the programs that I have ever used AFAIK) don't allow you to make the scroll bar wider.

You can increase the View size of the whole program which will make the scroll bar marginally wider -- but everything else gets bigger with it.

If scrolling with a wheel is physically difficult, maybe consider the keyboard shortcuts for paging up and down? On Mac you can scroll up and down by holding down the Fn key and pressing the up or down arrow.

On both Windows and Mac you could also just click anywhere in the document to set the text cursor at that position and then use the up and down arrows to move the cursor and it will scroll the page one line at a time as you reach the bottom or top of the page with the text cursor.

You could also try slowing down your mouse cursor movement. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I am using a Windows 11 PC. I have noticed that all applications now have narrower scroll bars than were present under Windows 10.  I conclude, therefore, that this is an OS issue rather than something in the applications themselves. In Windows 10 there were some adjustments that could be made to scroll bar widths but Microsoft has removed many of the tweaks that Win 10 offered. This thread has revealed to me just how much I use the scroll wheel without givig it a moment's thought ;)

• Level 5

The solution may be to reduce your screen resolution. It is nice to have a 4K, fullHD, Retina or whatever display - but it will show a crispy picture even when you reduce the pixel count. The advantage is that you enlarge everything, all apps, all windows, all GUI elements.

You can try several options until you find your own sweet spot of usability vs. screen real estate.

Hello everyone, sorry I am menopausal so kept forgetting to respond.

Thank you but nothing to do with the mouse as I am using a laptop. Agsteele, made an interesting comment regarding the upgrade to win 11, although this should not make a difference to Evernote? As you can see from the image, when I get to the notebooks this is where there is difficulty.

issue.jpg

scroll bar.jpg

image.jpeg

Edited by Jackar00
add another image
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Jackar00 said:

Thank you but nothing to do with the mouse as I am using a laptop.

If you are using a laptop, then you should have a trackpad and should be able to use two fingers to scroll up and down the list (vs clicking on the scrollbar) -- it will be much easier this way once you get the hang of it.

• Level 5

No need to get a laptop to get a trackpad - you can buy one solo, and link it like a mouse to any computer.

This one is from Apple. It is excellent - the same technology as build into the MacBook Pro. It will even work with an iPad.

156822085_IMG_4799Mittel.jpeg.55b27218339f1cbe3dd157bc0511a7fd.jpeg

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Jackar00 said:

No sorry, your not not getting it. it's Evernote.  where can I take this directly to them?

I fear you may be mistaken too... The operating system also controls the size of scroll bars.  So outside Evernote (with Windows 11) I see a similarly narrow scroll bar in my web browser (below). The same is true with, I think, all the applications on my laptop although I have tested extensively. Just the few regular applications.

All we can do is point you to ways of working around the issue. New software will pick up this new OS design unless or until Microsoft allow users to tweak their user interface.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.1267a75c84135f530abe98670cb96c1d.jpg

• Level 5

I would play a little with the parameter. From the formula, going to a lower value (like -200) than -255 will create a scroll bar that is even smaller.

You probably need to go to something like -400 or larger to see an effect.

So now, the utter stupidity of logging out and into web has no made my laptop not work for a month......Clearly this is EVERNOTES problem, and without sounding too rude....YOU KNOW THIS and could clearly have said this from the beginning.  How can you possibly be L5?

• Level 5

Then your next best option is to contact support.

As you see from this thread, and can verify with the forum search, you are pretty alone with having an issue with the scroll bars. I understand it is an accessibility problem for you - but I would not call it an EN problem. It seems that it works for most (and this means for practically any) other users as it is.

You can explain this to support - I think from the user2user perspective, this thread is closing now. Wish you an improving condition with your medical handling restrictions. We all don’t notice how important little things like using a computer mouse are - until we can’t use it any more.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Jackar00 said:

So now, the utter stupidity of logging out and into web has no made my laptop not work for a month......Clearly this is EVERNOTES problem, and without sounding too rude....YOU KNOW THIS and could clearly have said this from the beginning.  How can you possibly be L5?

I am another user like you are, and before I get rude, I am out of this thread.

Go find somebody else sharing time and thoughts with you.

Hello, I experience the EXACT same problem for desktop PC (win 10) (not in browser) and have contacted support. 
Have already troubleshot with many, and more of the suggestions above.

I believe this is an evernote issue because the other scroll bars on the same open window of evernote generally work fine.

This is a problem with ONLY the scroll bar to the right of the notebook/tags/etc column.
When navigating the cursor over the uncooperative scroll bar, it doesn't lock in on the pointer cursor with ease. Instead it pops to the resize or the hand cursor and gets very fiddly about staying in the pointer mode so the click/hold can be executed

One suggestion that slightly eases my pain and frustration on this, is to slide the cursor onto the scroll bar from right to left.
Sliding from left to right almost never results in a pointer that can be sustained for the scroll.

Good luck to @Jackar00 and any others with this issue.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Jackar00 said:

Many thanks for this response and something i will try once im able access the app.  Evernote locked it because you are only allow 2 deactivates per month?  

If you need a little space to get your devices and the scrollbar sorted out, it's possible to subscribe for just one month, and then cancel and drop back to the free plan. That would give you time to look carefully at the active devices without any limits on deactivations, and make your decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

get-mobdro.com

• Level 5

So you have a problem, and this is a thread in the General Discussion forum.

Which means we just know what you are posting, and you do not post on which device / client you are, old or new version etc. . Without this information no further activity.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, notetakeingguy said:

I have this same problem that Jackar and d0d report. d0d did a good job summarizing it. I too am constantly moving things around when I all I really want to do is scroll. I have Windows 10.

Having only noticed in in Evernote up to this point, but reading people mention other programs, I just noticed I have this same scroll bar too-thin-problem with Outlook 365 web

• Level 5

The GUI elements are designed by the OS owner, which is Microsoft, Apple or Android. Developers do not design basic design elements like scroll bars - they just pick from a library and employ the predefined elements. That's why apps look alike, and that's why apps that are not updated regularly are getting an "old" touch and feel as OS updates pass by.

You may find older scroll bars on apps not updated, but I think the newer ones will all change their GUI elements to what was defined by (in this case) Microsoft.

• Evernote Expert

Yes, most apps have narrower scroll bars for me since I was upgraded to Windows 11. Not a problem for me but if you want something wider then YMMV.

I think Win 10 had a registry setting which can adjust but this doesn't work, for me, in Win 11.

• 1 month later...

If there is an EN pro watching this, please pass on to the suggestion box that the scroll bar NEEDS to be widened.  Too easy to miss the bar and move a notebook.  The scroll bar needs to be TWICE as wide as it is in all cases where a scroll bar is visible.  The scroll wheel does not take the place of the scroll bar.

thanks,

• Level 5

For EN users, pro or not: The scrollbar width is not set by the app, it is defined by the operating system.

You need to talk to guys in Redmond or Cupertino, respectively. It seems to be a current trend that the scrollbars are getting smaller. Open other apps and compare to check yourself.

23 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

For EN users, pro or not: The scrollbar width is not set by the app, it is defined by the operating system.

You need to talk to guys in Redmond or Cupertino, respectively. It seems to be a current trend that the scrollbars are getting smaller. Open other apps and compare to check yourself.

Hi Pink,
In my experience, I have to disagree with you on this 'system fix', as I have followed several other's suggestions for Windows 10 tweaks with no change to the EN desktop app.
Maybe it's not a problem in Windows 11...
Maybe it's a Win 10 issue after an EN past update.
because I have been working with EN for YEARS on my current machine config. - it wasn't an issue until the last year or so.

But, for those still in a Win 10 environment, and using the desktop app (although the browser isn't much better) there are TWO scroll bars when the sidebar is open.
One scroll bar works ok, the other is the tricky one.
In my logic, if EN can get one to work; why not the other?

The scroll bar that has the problem is the one to the right of the sidebar. The width of that scroll bar has a very narrow 'hot zone' for the arrow pointer to lock on. It could literally be only 1-2 pixels wide (IDK). If you jog a bit left or a bit right, your cursor jumps to a hand, or changes to a resize icon. Even using a trackball, which is less subject to hand movements, and very precise, the narrow lock zone for the arrow is irritatingly difficult to find on the bad scroll bar.

The far right scroll bar (which is also narrow) works good because the resize window cursor action does not occur until the pointer is off the scroll bar. The scroll bar is fine because the full width of that scroll bar activates as the arrow cursor, and allows for an easy click/hold.

One would think a great user interface would be paramount in EN's product standards, but this 'tiny' glitch is so frustrating, I finally made the move to another platform and am slowly and sadly transitioning. I've been using EN long enough to notice a pattern. There are so many who WANT TO LOVE EN. There is an amazing simplicity that is very attractive, but they decide to move away because of seemingly logical fixes/features that are never addressed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@d0d, I just experimented with this, and I can see what you mean. The sidebar scrollbar seems to have too much overlap with the width control, and the result is a narrow operating space. The scrollbars in EN are narrower than those in Edge browser and in Acrobat reader, but the same width as in TextMaker (a Word alternative). So I'm inclined to see this as a choice made among options in an interface programming tool (speaking on the basis of my nonexistent programming experience).

I guess my responses are: (1) If EN had chosen the wide toolbars instead, there'd be a big thread here from people complaining about the loss of precious screen space to a stupid fat scrollbar. (2) I use a mouse wheel or the scrolling function on my laptop's trackpad instead of clicking and grabbing on scrollbars--wouldn't that be a simpler alternative to moving to another platform?

• Like 1