UI freezes until menu touched

I have a frequent problem where the UI becomes non responsive until the menu is clicked.

It happens when I come back to an open en main page after working in some other application.  I find that nothing is responsive. I can click in the note area, or the serach box, or home, or any other place in the app and there is no response to the click.  EXCEPT when I click on the top level menu "File", then immediately everything works again.

It doesn't happen every time, but several times per day.

Also, more rarely, EN does not even paint the page (the note, the dashboard, etc). The screen is largely blank, except for the top level menu.  When I click it, everything shows up.

It's not a big deal once you know to click the menu, but until you know that, it's a big deal.

10.30.6-win-ddl-public (3202)
Editor: v140.0.17554
Service: v1.47.4
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Microsoft Windows 11 Home,  Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another warning about this bug, and it's still there in 10.33.4 Windows. When it freezes, your clicks and keystrokes are still getting buffered. When you break out of it by clicking on the menu or system tray, everything you have done up to that point executes. So, don't just start banging on things at random. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I can confirm I have had this issue for a few weeks now, and it is just as described. Thank you for posting this. My setup is as follows...

From Help > About Evernote:

10.36.4-win-ddl-public (3377)
Editor: v147.0.18080
Service: v1.52.2

From my PC's Settings > System > About:

Edition    Windows 11 Home
Version    21H2
Installed on    ‎22/‎01/‎2022
OS build    22000.613
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.613.0

• Evernote Expert

I've had a similar issue since upgrading to Win 11. It is only very occasional but affects all applications - not just Evernote. Rebooting the PC is a fix as is patience until whatever is happening catches up. Until I can point a finger at the process that is causing the issue I wouldn't say it was Evernote related any more than another application or, indeed, Windows 11 itself.

I will though, try stopping Evernote from running and see if that resolves things for other apps. Problem is that for me it is so infrequent that it will take a while ;)

• Like 1

@Dave-in-Decatur, thanks, but to be clear, those are about all Windows (entire computer) freezing and requiring reboot.  This is about Evernote "freezing", but really just unresponsive until you click on a menu item.  I think this is clearly a bug in Evernote.

8 hours ago, agsteele said:

I've had a similar issue since upgrading to Win 11. It is only very occasional but affects all applications - not just Evernote. Rebooting the PC is a fix as is patience until whatever is happening catches up. Until I can point a finger at the process that is causing the issue I wouldn't say it was Evernote related any more than another application or, indeed, Windows 11 itself.

I will though, try stopping Evernote from running and see if that resolves things for other apps. Problem is that for me it is so infrequent that it will take a while ;)

This is very specific to Evernote.  Since clicking on the Evernote menu resolves the issue, all indications are that it's an evernote issue.

• Level 5*

Well,  if everyone who's convinced this is an Evernote issue raises a support ticket and is able to submit some logs to support the issue,  there's a chance they'll find and fix it.  We're all mainly users here,  so opinions are all we have...

• Like 1
On 2/9/2022 at 5:00 PM, Leo Tohill said:

I can click in the note area, or the serach box, or home, or any other place in the app and there is no response to the click.  EXCEPT when I click on the top level menu "File", then immediately everything works again.

I continue to experience this problem, and have found another workaround. This post is to note that.

@Leo Tohill said that the UI "freeze" can be unblocked by clicking on a top level menu item, which works for me, too. I have found it can also be unblocked by clicking into another application window (for example, clicking on my browser window). At this point the Evernote UI springs back into life.