Implementing GTD and EN. Let's share advice (Vers. 10)

I've decided that GTD is the only way I'll clear out my head a bit and make room for important things, improve my productivity, etc.  I use EN as a reference system for info, to do, some file storage that I need add context to with notes, etc.  I've started learning GTD methods and am currently in the beginning stages.  While there are other, perhaps better suited tools for GTD, I don't want too many software tools floating around and am going to make EN work for it. 

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of posts here about this, so let me start laying out how I'm doing it (early stages) and maybe we can learn from each other...

Tagging a couple users (hope you don't mind) @JJJ-CCC@Claudiofpiga

Overall Structure:

Using EN in two ways.  First, a stack dedicated to my inmplementation of GTD (again, very early in my GTD learning).  Then, other stacks for reference, etc., (previous and ongoing use of EN).

image.png.35e54a10b62141d4fb785a5e3ed22bf0.png

Thanks to @PinkElephant for the idea to use emoji as a way to visually call out notebooks.

Capture and Clarify folder:  I use two simple (two column) tables where I quickly type in simple tasks/ideas when triggered.  Kind of a dumping ground.  Second column I use to paste a link to the project note in Official Projects notebook.  I have two tables, one to capture single tasks, another for reoccuring tasks.  Currently looks like this:

image.png.88e4d8ab6bc2bd71fb33d16d4547fa67.png

In the Official Projects folder, I use a slightly modified EN template in the GTD template group for each item.

In terms of workflow, I keep EN open always on a second monitor, with the GTD Capture and Clarify notebook open.  Anything that comes to mind gets a quick line item.  Throughout the day I refer back and either create a project note for it, or complete it and delete.  

For Weekly Review, I use the existing EN template.  

My question to the brilliant EN users out there.....care to share any tips, suggestions, recommended templates?  Thank you in advance.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, lost_gweedo said:

care to share any tips, suggestions, recommended templates?

The great thing about GTD is that you can use as much,  or as little,  of the overall process as you wish.  I mainly took away the "get it down on paper" principle and put everything into Evernote lists and notes.  Then I use Eisenhower to tell me which are the most urgent and important,  and pick a task from there.  I'll concentrate on that task until it's completed - or has reached a logical stop - and then go back to tasks.  If I ever run out of the U&I tasks I'll step down a level...

• 6 months later...

Hi, I've been trying to set up Evernote and GTD, there is an official set up guide in the GTD Connect if you are a member.

What I'm using is a stack for my projects and a Next Actions stack that has a Notebook for each context (Home, Work etc). I then capture notes in the Inbox, if it is a next action I drag it into the context note book e.g. Work. If it is going to be larger then it is a project and I create a new folder in the Projects stack for it.

I then use Evernote tasks inside the Project's note to break it down.

I have also thought about having a Next Actions Notebook with a list for each context e.g. Work, Home etc, then I add the next actions, using Evernote Tasks into each context. This way I can see the list of my Next Action tasks in the Home section, the problem is there is no drag and drop of tasks which slows this approach down compared to the first approach.

I'm still deciding which approach I prefer.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Stephen Adams said:

What I'm using is a stack for my projects and a Next Actions stack that has a Notebook for each context

I'm not a fan of the stack/notebook approach   
I use tags   

Also, the Next Action thing seems over-rated    
It's just one of the factors when promoting tasks from pending to active   
Another factor is due-date; my task list is sorted by due-date (Eisenhower Matrix)

I agree with DTlow , tags is for me much more flexible. 

Now with tasks, I use standard titles for tasks ( follow up- waiting - on  hold - delegated - etc) and then I search based on these titles at my weekly review (for non dated).

I have suggested EN to add a filter of task name containing there  key words to create widgets,  no feedback yet )

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Stephen Adams said:

there is an official set up guide in the GTD Connect if you are a member.

??? Like I said already...

On 1/13/2022 at 5:35 PM, gazumped said:

The great thing about GTD is that you can use as much,  or as little,  of the overall process as you wish.

What and where is "GTD Connect"?  I've not heard of it before,  but if they have a set-up guide for Evernote,  the chances are its Evernote Legacy and somewhat out of date.  You might get more traction on their forums if they have any...

19 minutes ago, gazumped said:

??? Like I said already...

What and where is "GTD Connect"?  I've not heard of it before,  but if they have a set-up guide for Evernote,  the chances are its Evernote Legacy and somewhat out of date.  You might get more traction on their forums if they have any...

GTD is a subscription from the GDT author's organization.  I like GTD, but fall into the "adapt the principles to my needs" camp versus the "all in" camp.  I know folks, though, that swear by the process and are pretty effective at being organized.  I haven't pulled the trigger on that subscription, so can't speak to it myself but I'm pretty sure the guide uses the EN legacy.

• Level 5

There is a brochure from the GTD organization about how to set up GTD with EN for Windows. It is for version 6.25, but it will still work with v10. What it does not reflect is whether and how to employ the new features like Tasks, Home and the calendar integration. It is for example new and highly important for a GTD implementation that by Tasks, notes are now directly actionable. With a Professional/Teams account they can even be delegated to other people.

Maybe you can approach the GTD guys , tell them about your problems and ask them to review this document.

• Like 1