Long-time User Disappointed with the Evolution of Evernote

I have used Evernote since forever and have loved it for being fast, stable, reliable and feature-rich (for taking and organizing notes).  It is no longer fast, stable or reliable.

Over the past 18 months I have seen Evernote become progressively slower, unstable and unreliable.  It seems that you are killing the product by trying to make it into a different product, adding features that a core Evernote customer never asked for and is already provided by other well-established products on our desktop and mobile devices.

It would be great if you provided an Evernote Classic product based on the product from ~18-24 months ago.  It would be a far superior product for delivering the core features that Evernote customers love.  You could charge the same subscription fee and not drive good customer away.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, dighairr said:

I second that flywheelms has been nothing but problems.

Seems a little harsh... ;)

2 hours ago, flywheelms said:

The above recommendation is not a solution.

It's a partial and probably temporary work-around that suffices for me for the meantime.  If it doesn't suit your needs,  then you really need to be looking elsewhere - having invested 3 years in developing the new product,  it would seem rather unlikely that Evernote will now go back and resurrect the prior versions.

• Level 5

Maybe information first, and then anybody can be angry or embarrassed:

Mac: Legacy is available

Linux: Means web client, no release version of a Linux client. The web client can be switched to the "classical" view, which is legacy on the web.

Android: Legacy available, may not run with the latest Android versions (which seems to be caused by recent changes in Android)

iOS: No legacy, not permitted in the AppStore

Legacy is a support for the transition, allowing users (especially long term users, those running automation etc.) to continue the accustomed use while switching. It is not meant for an extended use. EN has made no commitment how long legacy will stay available - they made it clear they will not make a move to keep it operational if external changes render it useless.

Conclusion: On most platforms you can use legacy clients.

However, it is not sustainable. If you don't want to switch to the new EN version, you are well advised to make a move to whatever other application while EN legacy is still working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Seems a little harsh... ;)

It's a partial and probably temporary work-around that suffices for me for the meantime.  If it doesn't suit your needs,  then you really need to be looking elsewhere - having invested 3 years in developing the new product,  it would seem rather unlikely that Evernote will now go back and resurrect the prior versions.

They invested doing mess. They probably seek for some ego-masturbation in latest techniques of product management instead of listening to customers. Not being able to select multiple tags to delete or notes to move is like commercial masochism, not professional product developement.

1. It is never too late to recognize you made a strategic mistake and make a correction, or bifurcate your strategy.
  2. My content is a "hostage" to the Evernote cloud.  I don't see a clear migration path to another tool.  The OneNote migration tool doesn't work.
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, flywheelms said:

My content is a "hostage" to the Evernote cloud

If I were moving away from Evernote,  my strategy would be to leave most notes in place.  It's another place to search,  but there's no point moving hundreds of old notes unless they're going to be needed.  Anything to do with ongoing actvities I'd move across as and when needed by printing to PDF file / exporting to HTML / exporting to ENEX (if there were a suitable importer available) / or plain old manual copy and paste.  Just build up a new database elsewhere,  until the 'old' Evernote data is no longer required...

From the other side of the coin I started using EN again once the new V10 came out. The legacy version to me is old fashioned, knackered and my notes looked different on different devices.

The new version for me is fast, reliable and works a treat.

So much drama and hyperbole ... it's a computer programme.... use another one if you don't like it 😂

• Like 4
4 hours ago, flywheelms said:
  1. It is never too late to recognize you made a strategic mistake and make a correction, or bifurcate your strategy.
  2. My content is a "hostage" to the Evernote cloud.  I don't see a clear migration path to another tool.  The OneNote migration tool doesn't work.

I found that this method worked great for importing my Evernote notebooks/notes to One Note: https://tools.stefankueng.com/Evernote2Onenote.html.

(The only thing I don't like about One Note is that I don't see a thumbnail of the note's image in the list on my device. It's not a big deal for notes that just have information but I use OneNote to keep track of my hobby's supplies (thousands) that also have an image. This is even with One Notes' "Show Page Previews" turned on. So for now, I'm sticking with EverNote so that I can SEE the image attached to each note.)