Jump to content

Unable to install an Android Evernote App (Version 8.13.3)


Recommended Posts

Hi,
I am a newbie here, somehow I cannot download the app to my Asus Zenfone Max pro M2 (OS 9.0). I still able to use Evernote on my PC, Laptop with the new web version.

Is there anyone know how to adress this issue? 

Thank you so much!

z2819343944720_8944faf4c40bc39e56bce117de9916d8.jpg

Link to comment

I Have this same login issue with this app version on Android (I accidentally updated to 10.x) and when I went to reinstall an older version again (e.g., 8.x) I get stalled out at the login screen.

I've uninstalled, restarted, cleared cache/memory x10 - using cellphone data, wifi data, no VPN without luck using the Google sign-in option and the regular email login option.

I'm a paying subscriber.

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, btonevibes said:

when I went to reinstall an older version again (e.g., 8.x) I get stalled out at the login screen.

Hi.  Where are you getting your reinstall from?  Android 8 (which is as high as I've managed to get on my phone) has some blocks on downloading and installing non-Play store APK files;  do you need to alter your settings to complete the install?

Link to comment

I've had to use, successfully (until this past week) old versions of the APK because the new version is unusable / a completely different piece of software versus what I initially bought into years ago (i.e., features I relied on have been removed). And no system settings or "hacking" of my phone was needed to install the old version apk.

To put simply, I am currently able to login with all 10.x android versions of Evernote.  Up until last week I was able to login with all Evernote versions (i.e. 8.x, 10.x...).

Link to comment
  • Level 5

I doubt that anybody modified the apk - it is from an archive, and for EN it is obsolete, end of life software. There is no indication EN would start to make life difficult for legacy users (and no reason to do this, plus they would for sure communicate it well in advance).

Personally I think that something might have changed on the Android / device side - maybe a security update, an expired certificate, something like this, down in the engine room. It is known that with Android, each Maker does his own flavor, some update, some won't, there are extensions installed etc. Hard to tell - I would observe if other, similar posts show up here.

No further idea.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Same here. Upgraded from 8.3.13 to latest version by mistake. Re-installed 8.3.13 later but cannot login anymore (can easely login with latest version, but I cannot use it as it is a peice of s...t).  I just hope access was not closed delibrately?!

I am also paying suscriber. Hope problem will be solved and I will not need to cancel my subscribtion!

Link to comment
On 10/8/2021 at 12:13 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Looks like it downloaded and installed,  but can't connect.  Can you uninstall / restart the phone / reinstall?

I had done several times before I posted this thread but the results were still the same "please, wait..." then nothing happens

Link to comment
On 10/8/2021 at 3:53 AM, PinkElephant said:

If on a Free account, you need to check whether you are exceeding your device limit. You see it in Account, devices.

To connect a new client, you need to be down to 1 synced client.

On any subscription this does not play a role.

My sister is using a free account and she still able to use on mobile and laptop. Should I revoke access and try on my phone again?

image.thumb.png.c16fbf976cb37c802dbfb38247459f07.png

Link to comment
  • Level 5

If you have no more devices synced, it most likely is not the device limit.

In this case I can’t tell what may be wrong. Could be anything that does not combine with the EN app. Or something with the network connection - you can find out by trying in another WiFi, or by switching to mobile connection.

Link to comment

The same story, I recently updated by mistake to version 10.18, which is a complete disaster.

Then I deleted this app, installed version 8.13.3, and got stuck at the login screen, after I entered my email.

I'm a paid subscriber. And I'm sure this is not a security update issue, not an expired certificate, not a conneciton.

I suspect that Evernote check at server side the version number of Android version. And If the version is < 10, and Android version is >= 10, they reject such logins. 

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Neighbour said:

I'm a paid subscriber.

The way to verify your suspicions then,  would be to raise a Support ticket and ask Evernote.  (We're mainly other users around here)

If Evernote aren't sympathetic you could try your service provider and/ or any Android forums you can access - if you can upgrade,  you have Android 10 or above and the Evernote version you are using could have some conflicts with it.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Link to comment

I have the same problem. I have reinstalled Evernote 8.13.3 several times this year (twice my fault for clicking update, twice google's fault for changing auto update preferences without asking) using the same apk residing locally on my Android. However this time I get the Please Wait and nothing ever happens. So basically I can no longer use Evernote because the 10x version is horrible, especially for offline use (takes a day to download files that only takes 5 minutes for version 8x).

FWIW: At least 2 of the times (including this week) were because when the Google Play app itself was updated, it reset my preferences that were to NOT auto-install updates AND the preference to exclude Evernote app from any updates. It reset to auto-update all apps without asking. So Google is F-ing us over here by changing the Play App settings and then Evernote updating when we don't want it to.

Also, if you let it sit long enough you will eventually get a "registration error - you are not connected to the Internet" which is indicative this problem is being caused on the Evernote server side (since the apk/etc hasn't changed). 

Link to comment

 

\\\

I have had the same problem for 1 year Samsung A50. Wrote a lenghty request to TEch Support. Never heard from them. Customer / client since 2010. I liked the older version better but specifically I cant capture any camera shots or images. Just hangs and I have to exit out,

I would not hold your breath waiting for support even if you are Professional paying customer.

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Datarecovery said:

Wrote a lenghty request to TEch Support. Never heard from them.

Tech support requests always get a ticket number by return email,  and a follow-up some days later.  If you heard nothing,  it means your support request didn't get to the right place.  Feedback at the moment suggests that a Support person will get back to ticket-holders within a few days.  If that doesn't happen,  post the ticket number here and we can flag it to the Forum admins who can chase it internally.

Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps 

On 10/20/2021 at 3:04 AM, mark17ns said:

I have reinstalled Evernote 8.13.3 several times this year

I'm still running 8.13 and while everything else has updated,  my block on Evernote has worked up to now...  though YMMV if you have a different Android version.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

There were reports in the forum that the Android legacy app would not work on new Android releases, or after an update. Might this be the case ?

If it does not go together with an OS update / upgrade, there will probably be no other way than to install v10. The legacy clients are all end of life, can be used as they are, but get no new code, not even bug fixes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5*

Yep - my version of Evernote Legacy is still working happily on two older versions of Android.  Seems like a recent update to Android is causing the problem.  You may be able to get some help from your service provider (or Google).  Evernote are no longer supporting the older versions of the app,  so won't be looking to make Legacy compatible here.  If there's no easy fix you may have to consider trying to use v10.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

I contacted Evernote (https://help.evernote.com/hc/nl/requests/new).


At first they tell you you can't downgrade (and shouldn't need to because their new version is só great 😉).

After letting them know I had done so in the past (using the older apk), they wrote me back saying:

"Can you please provide your IP address and User Agent info so our Team can take a further look into this. Use these steps below to gather your IP address and user agent.

Get your IP address using Google

1.    Search "what is my IP" on Google or click here: What is my IP?

2.    Copy the IP address shown in the box above the search results.

3.    Paste it in the reply to this email.

Get your user agent using Google

1.    Search “what is my user agent” on Google or click here: What is my user agent?

2.    Copy the user agent information shown in the box above the search results.

3.    Paste it in the reply to this email."

 

I did and they responded:

"Thanks for your patience while we investigated this login issue. We are working on a fix now and you should be able to login within 48 hours.

Please let me know if you're still unable to login after 48 hours has passed."

 

And within 24hrs I could login again!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 11/5/2021 at 1:06 PM, NanetteK said:

And within 24hrs I could login again!

NanetteK, thank you very much! You made my day.

I repeated your steps with support, they replied the same to me about 48 hours, and I was finally able to log in!

Now I'm enjoying the old good 8.13.3 app, which is fast, responsive, offline notes synchronization takes minutes and not ages, the main screen is just a list of notes with proper font and proper small space between notes.

Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Neighbour said:

NanetteK, thank you very much! You made my day.

I repeated your steps with support, they replied the same to me about 48 hours, and I was finally able to log in!

Now I'm enjoying the old good 8.13.3 app, which is fast, responsive, offline notes synchronization takes minutes and not ages, the main screen is just a list of notes with proper font and proper small space between notes.

Hi Neighbour, thanks for your post. That in turn made my day. 🙂
Always nice to be able to be of some help.

And I TOTALLY agree with your remarks about the older version. What also turned me off of the newer version is the crosses in the checkboxes, the auto-listing with the checkboxes and the apparent disappearance of the checkbox in the edit-tab. 🙂
In case Evernote wonders why the lot of us is still using the old version. 😉

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Vermeer Grange said:

Same here. Paying user for 10 years. Hate the android new v10 version, so for my new tablet I manually installed the 8.13.3 apk. Stuck at "Please wait" login screen.

See comments above...

Link to comment

Hi @Vermeer Grange,

As @PinkElephant points outcheck your account and the amount of devices you're allowed to use.

As for the login-issue, check my post of November 5th, 2021.

Personally I'm in the proces of switching to OneNote. Not perfect either (and no perfect way to export/import) but more options a.o. regarding hierarchy. And of course the fact that you don't have to revert to dinosaur-age versioins. 😉 

Good luck!

 

Link to comment
On 10/18/2021 at 4:40 AM, Neighbour said:

The same story, I recently updated by mistake to version 10.18, which is a complete disaster.

Then I deleted this app, installed version 8.13.3, and got stuck at the login screen, after I entered my email.

I'm a paid subscriber. And I'm sure this is not a security update issue, not an expired certificate, not a conneciton.

I suspect that Evernote check at server side the version number of Android version. And If the version is < 10, and Android version is >= 10, they reject such logins. 

Same problem here. Accidentally updated. Now can't get in using 8.13.3 which is superior. At least I can web clip with it-which is a big part of what I use Evernote for. 

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 6:06 PM, NanetteK said:

I contacted Evernote (https://help.evernote.com/hc/nl/requests/new).


At first they tell you you can't downgrade (and shouldn't need to because their new version is só great 😉).

After letting them know I had done so in the past (using the older apk), they wrote me back saying:

"Can you please provide your IP address and User Agent info so our Team can take a further look into this. Use these steps below to gather your IP address and user agent.

Get your IP address using Google

1.    Search "what is my IP" on Google or click here: What is my IP?

2.    Copy the IP address shown in the box above the search results.

3.    Paste it in the reply to this email.

Get your user agent using Google

1.    Search “what is my user agent” on Google or click here: What is my user agent?

2.    Copy the user agent information shown in the box above the search results.

3.    Paste it in the reply to this email."

 

I did and they responded:

"Thanks for your patience while we investigated this login issue. We are working on a fix now and you should be able to login within 48 hours.

Please let me know if you're still unable to login after 48 hours has passed."

 

And within 24hrs I could login again!

Hi there @NanetteK, I have followed your link provided but it's not in English. Do you have an email that I could send evernote team for the IP and Agent Info for them to assist with the issue? 

Many thanks! 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, junyee2 said:

Hi there @NanetteK, I have followed your link provided but it's not in English. Do you have an email that I could send evernote team for the IP and Agent Info for them to assist with the issue? 

Many thanks! 

Hi @junyee2, I agree it is (always) a bit of a search to get to their 'truly get help' section. (I'm assuming it's a natural selection feature. 😉)
Unfortunately my computer will not allow me to try to find the English bit. Does the link provided by @gazumped help?

Link to comment

Just wanna let u guys know that I have refer to below link for tech support contact by following way recommended by @NanetteK, and my EN v8.13.3 can successfully sign in after the assistance from EN tech support! 😃👍👍

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new (thank @PinkElephant for providing the link in English!)

Thanks guys for your kind assistance and now I'm a happy man with the legacy EN again! 

And indeed I would say EN Tech support is quite helpful if we refer to the correct party! 😃

Special thanks to Raven B. from tech team! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, i tried contacting Evernote customer support representative name is Roselyn M but the person keeps on telling me that it's not possible to help me sign in past the 'please wait' screen. I had already given my phones IP address and the user agent of my phone, the person keeps on repeating themselves. I don't understand how some of you guys got them to go past that 'please wait' screen, what can i do? I really need to go back to the version 8 or older because the new version is trying to make me pay for offline, it also doesnt have the quick note option in the phones notifications option. I have a samsung galaxy s9 and i made the mistake by updating it thinking that it will be free to use the offline feature etc

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, R.F said:

Hey guys, i tried contacting Evernote customer support representative name is Roselyn M but the person keeps on telling me that it's not possible to help me sign in past the 'please wait' screen. I had already given my phones IP address and the user agent of my phone, the person keeps on repeating themselves. I don't understand how some of you guys got them to go past that 'please wait' screen, what can i do? I really need to go back to the version 8 or older because the new version is trying to make me pay for offline, it also doesnt have the quick note option in the phones notifications option. I have a samsung galaxy s9 and i made the mistake by updating it thinking that it will be free to use the offline feature etc

...And please don't post the same issue twice.  It tends to make us user advisers cranky and it's against Forum rules.  Please stick to commenting on - 

 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...