Evernote Basics

ariaza

Hi all

Ive been using Evernote for a few days and have the personal account

I've switched over from OneNote and I'm finding difficulties with some basic stuff that One Note has

Can you change the background colour of the notes?

Is there a format painter option?

Theres just too many questions to list but every time i try google for the answer it just comes up with results for feature requests

I mean you cant even order the notes without having to create tables/contents etc

Just ridiculous how the basic features that you get in a free OneNote isn't even in the paid version Evernote

I'm literally finding Evernote to be ridiculous now 😠

Thanks

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, ariaza said:

I'm literally finding Evernote to be ridiculous now 😠

Hi.  It's really up to you to do some basic research about what you're buying into before actually paying money for a service.  Evernote is different from OneNote.  It doesn't have the same features,  but that doesn't make it in any way inferior;  it's just different.  

You're welcome to ask any questions you like here,  or it may help to check in YouTube where there are hundreds of Evernote 'how to' videos,  or take a look around their help site here:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  It's really up to you to do some basic research about what you're buying into before actually paying money for a service.  Evernote is different from OneNote.  It doesn't have the same features,  but that doesn't make it in any way inferior;  it's just different.  

You're welcome to ask any questions you like here,  or it may help to check in YouTube where there are hundreds of Evernote 'how to' videos,  or take a look around their help site here:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

I understand what your saying.

I did my research and some training videos but sometimes you take an approach where you learn what things you need in terms of the larger features. You would expect it to have the basics. its difficult to go through every little thing to see if it has it  Having a format painter for example saves a hell of a lot of time. Again its basic stuff.

Like with most applications the feature to just simply slide pages/notes up and down is just standard stuff but yet you cant do it in Evernote

Wow!  Why Ariaza are you switching to Evernote.  I am contemplating just the reverse.
Are you a long time user?
I am trying to run both Evernote & Onenote in parallel.
I export to Onenote periodically using Evernote2Onenote. It works OK.
If Evernote becomes unuseable to me I will do the switch.  I do not want to.
I have grown very accustomed to EN

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ariaza said:

I'm finding difficulties with some basic stuff

"Evernote basics" for me  is a digital filing cabinet, where I store my notes and documents   
The documents are stored in Evernote as note attachment files

I also make use the integrated note editor   
This editor works well for basic notes, but lacks the features of dedicated editor apps
When I need extended features for documents, I use Apple Pages for word processing; Apple Numbers for spreadsheets    

1 hour ago, ariaza said:

I've switched over from OneNote and I'm finding difficulties with some basic stuff that One Note has

The new version of Evernote (version 10) gets quite a lot of criticism because it doesn't (yet?) have as many features as the old (legacy) version. However none of the three specific features you mention have ever been in Evernote. Given that you decided not to use the free plan for a few weeks to give it an extended trial you will either need to get used to the EN way of doing things or accept the wasted money. There are some partial work arounds for some of the issues you mention:

• Background colour of notes. You can make a large, one cell table and fill it with a range of different colours.
  • Format painter. You can modify the four styles and apply these quite easily to text
  • Ordering of notes. There are various options including
    • having a naming convention which allows you to sort notes alphabetically into the order you want
    • manually changing the creation date.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@ariaza With software it is as with many things: Accept them as they are, try to change them or leave them.

I don't think anybody in the forum will want to talk you into loving what you've got.

The features you want do not exist in EN, never did. There are other features to explore and use (why are we here, not with ON ?!). But if they listed features are of great importance for you, the answer is a) not available, b) not likely to show up any time soon, if ever and c) maybe EN is the wrong product for your use cases. And maybe it was the wrong decision for you to decide to use it.

We can help you here with many questions, but not with this last, final one.

2 hours ago, Beartooth said:

Wow!  Why Ariaza are you switching to Evernote.  I am contemplating just the reverse.
Are you a long time user?
I am trying to run both Evernote & Onenote in parallel.
I export to Onenote periodically using Evernote2Onenote. It works OK.
If Evernote becomes unuseable to me I will do the switch.  I do not want to.
I have grown very accustomed to EN

I started using Evernote as alternative because the One Note version I am using is the old one and the layout was perfect with the tabs on top. The newer one isn't. The version I'm using keeps crashing which is why decided to explorer alternatives

Thanks for all your replies.

I appreciate that the features were not there in the first place. I didn't assume they were. I just thought Evernote would cover the basics even if I had to pay for it.

My current OneNote is the old version and prefer it but it keeps crashing and Microsoft are only going to tell me to update to the new version which takes up 1/5 of your screen with the tabs which were conveniently on top in my current version.

Just trying to look for the options that save time and seems like a free version of OneNote does just that!

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Welcome again. EN is not ON, so take your time to learn it by applying it for your use cases.

Questions can be posted any time, the forum is user2user.

EN released a completely new version just a year ago. This as a background for some heated discussions here. The new version is not yet fully feature complete. In case something is missing (apart from the above), the old version can be installed and used side by side with v10.

Just come back after you collected some impressions.