Styles for Notebooks no longer there

I upgraded my Windows client to 10.2x and now I no longer have styles applied to my notebooks.  These include colors, bold, etc.  You used to be able to right click a notebook and select "styles" to make these changes.  This option is no longer there. Is there a way to add these back manually if need be?  I miss this feature since it really helped me visually keep my notebooks organized and find what I am looking for.  Is this feature still there but I can't find it?  Or is it completely gone?  I'll be heartbroken if it is gone.  If so, please add it back.  Anyone have any information for me on this?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, histrydude said:

Anyone have any information for me on this?

Hi.  Styles - and various other features - are (allegedly temporarily) unavailable while the new version 10 platform is being developed.  All missing elements are still available in the Legacy versions of Evernote which can be run in tandem with v10.  See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote for more.

• Level 5

It looks better on a Mac, but it works on Windows as well.

There is a little system app showing emojis. Theses are Unicode characters, just like any other. You can copy them in the tool and insert them into your notebook names.

It changes the sorting order - if youvwant a specific order, add A-Z or 1-9 in front.

• Evernote Expert

It works well in Windows. Win+. will bring up the Emoji panel. I would choose the coloured squares, circles or diamonds (🟥🔴🔶)  but actual image emojis work just as well (🎁🎎🧵).

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Styles - and various other features - are (allegedly temporarily) unavailable while the new version 10 platform is being developed.  All missing elements are still available in the Legacy versions of Evernote which can be run in tandem with v10.  See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote for more.

How do you run them in tandem?  When I installed 10 I believe that it replaced 6. If I install 6 again, will both instances be there and I can run either one?  How does that work?

Thanks

Rich

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, histrydude said:

When I installed 10 I believe that it replaced 6

The problem is, you can't have two apps with the same name   
If you install the Legacy product from here   
- the name will be "Evernote Legacy"    
- there's a grey elephant icon   
- the app will not update to v10   
- uses a separate local database than v10   
  but both products sync to the same master database on the server

• Like 1
  • Level 5

First you upgrade to v10. For legacy to work, v10 needs to be installed first. It inherits the green icon and the Evernote app name.

If you have any local notebooks, export them before you upgrade, because they will be converted to stay on the server in the upgrade.

Then you install legacy from the link shared above by @gazumped. It will as @DTLow said have a grey icon and be called Evernote Legacy. Once you log in, it will sync your notes from the server again. You can then reimport your local notebooks, if any, to keep them off the server.

Each install runs from its own database, and they sync in between them through the EN server. Just don’t work on the same Note On both at the same time.

I run both apps in parallel, no problems.

• Thanks 1

So if I make a change to a note on one version, it will update that note on the other version as well?  And if so, that goes both ways?  Also, I am running Evernote on my work PC at work, my home PC at home, my iPhone and my iPad.  Will having both versions on both PCs cause problems?

Thanks so much for all the help,
Rich

• Level 5

Legacy and v10 sync to and from the same server database. A note changed in any client syncs to the server, and from there to all other clients. It is not important on which device, and which client.

The only difference is that if a note has a feature not available in legacy, this feature will not show. Currently this is mainly relevant for Tasks. But if a note contains tasks, they will not be damaged or changed if this note is opened in legacy. Instead a message shows that there is content not supported by legacy.

The only thing to avoid is to open and change the same note on two devices at the same time.

A little issue is that installing v10 and legacy will create 2 separate databases on the PC / Mac. If you had 10GB of EN data before, you have 20GB after installing the second client. The legacy database (not v10) can be installed on another drive, v10 rests always on "C".

Thanks for all the advice.  I may check it out but I think the new tasks feature may come in really handy which would keep me attached to v10.  I messed around with the emojis at the beginning of each notebook, but with my titles being as long as they are, the emojis just seam to take up too  much precious real estate.  I'll mess around and see how it goes.  
Thanks,
Rich

• Like 1