About export ( link error )

Hi, I have an internal link in my note, but when i export that notebook (multi-page), and click that link, it will jump to Evernote APP not my another html file, how to fix it? I need to jump to my another html file. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Internal links do exactly what they say - they jump to an internal (to Evernote) address.  You won't be able to export the notebook and keep internal links active - you'd have to share the notebook publicly so that the note's shareable link is accessible to an outsider.  If you only have a few links,  you could copy the individual shareable links to use in the connecting notes. 

Can you explain more about how many pages you're sharing and what sort of access you and others may need to the content?  We may be able to offer some suggestions.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, brett90063 said:

I have an internal link in my note ... how to fix it?

Update the internal link; you don't want an evernote:///view... link   
This is not done automatically in the export

Thanks for guys reply. I didn't share my html file, in my case it's really simple. I have two note A and B. I have used Evernote before (many years ago) and I remember if A internal link to B, export will automatic converse to B.html, not evernote:///B.

So I try download Evernote legacy...and it work! 😅

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, brett90063 said:

Thanks for guys reply. I didn't share my html file

Please share a sample html file   
I'd like to see the note link code

@DTLowSry I don't know what you mean

if you mean the different between new version and legacy internal link, here it is.

In legacy the internal link will auto change to: file:///C:/YourFileLocation/B.html

In new Evernote version... it's still: evernote:///view/ooxxooxx

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, brett90063 said:

if you mean the different between new version and legacy internal link, here it is.

In legacy the internal link will auto change to: file:///C:/YourFileLocation/B.html

I'm using Evernote Legacy on a Mac
Export of notes does not change the link

Here's a screenshot of the exported code

1545804502_ScreenShot2021-08-31at23_09_07.png.c29578657ad449901470090f4ca3ecc3.png

13 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm using Evernote Legacy on a Mac
Export of notes does not change the link1545804502_ScreenShot2021-08-31at23_09_07.png.c29578657ad449901470090f4ca3ecc3.png
Here's a screenshot of the exported code

I can confirm that  legacy on windows did it right: file:///C:/YourFileLocation/B.html  (see also https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/118497-looking-for-an-evernote-alternative-probably-found-the-closest-option/?do=findComment&comment=598858

The windows legacy implementation does everything right: links point directly to other exported HTML files,  tags are stored in a visible table, attachments can be opened by clicking...

I can't understand why EN engineers haven't reused this  HTML-export code.  Unfortunately, the developer left EN a couple of years ago (his alias was "dcon" I think).

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
On 9/1/2021 at 10:04 PM, eric99 said:

I can't understand why EN engineers haven't reused this  HTML-export code.  Unfortunately, the developer left EN a couple of years ago (his alias was "dcon" I think).

They did not use ANY old code. The whole v10 app is newly coded, using JavaScript. 

Who ever tried to convert code written with language A into code using language B, knows that it is often better to create a piece of code anew.

14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

They did not use ANY old code. The whole v10 app is newly coded, using JavaScript. 

Who ever tried to convert code written with language A into code using language B, knows that it is often better to create a piece of code anew.

AFAIK it was already written in javascript in the latest legacy. Whats more, considering EN's lack of resources, this is a very isolated piece of code which is a really good candidate for reuse.

And even if they didn't like to reuse it (as most developers, me included), they could have at least looked at the functionality and how it was exported in order to prevent the pitfalls we see now in V10 🙄

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, eric99 said:

AFAIK it was already written in javascript in the latest legacy

Which may or may not be correct,  and may or may not be compatible with getting that code to work in an Electron wrapper alongside other major rewrites. 

I don't see the point in debating 'might have beens' - the facts are:  stuff doesn't work.  Either there's a work around while it gets developed or fixed,  or there's not.

If you can use a work-around or ignore the (possibly temporary) lack of a working feature,  lets all get on with our lives. 

If you can't - there are other apps you could try.  Good luck in your search...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I don't see the point in debating 'might have beens' - the facts are:  stuff doesn't work.

I hope to encourage EN via this thread to look at the superior HTML export for windows, instead of trying to fix V10 from scratch.

One more remark (from own experience) : it is sometimes better to refactor existing code instead of rewriting it completely because a lot of non documented features are described inside the source code only. This is certainly true for EN where functionality has never been documented properly...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, eric99 said:

it is sometimes better to refactor existing code instead of rewriting it completely

This may difficult when switching off a native based code platform

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

…. Especially if a good part of the code base was written on old versions of whatever code factory. 

I think it take more to debug than to rewrite using modern tools.

Agreed for most of the code but not for the HTML export which, if properly written, is a simple independent conversion function with a note as input and html as output. No dependencies with frameworks should exist...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, eric99 said:

if properly written, is a simple independent conversion function

I'm sure you'll get a call from the Evernote development team soon so you can help them work out how to do it properly...

On 9/7/2021 at 9:47 PM, gazumped said:

I'm sure you'll get a call from the Evernote development team soon so you can help them work out how to do it properly...

No need for that, this is basic knowledge, they already did it properly in legacy for windows...