Cannot launch Evernote from Chromebook

Hello,

I have been trying to launch EN on my Chromebook but fails at login.  When I open the app it asks for email or connect with Google.  I have connected with Google for as long as I can remember so this is my choice.  Then I select my account, then the wheel spins and it never logs me in.  I can connect from my other Android devices and via the web using the connect with Google method.  I am running on a Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 and version 93 of the Chrome OS.

• Evernote Expert

Deep in the bowels of my mind I recall someone reporting that the Evernote app didn't run on Chrome books and neither can you open the browser version in a mobile formatted browser. Try the browser and open Evernote.com in desktop mode.  It MIGHT work.

To answer Pink Elephant, I am on a paid account and I cleared out all past devices.  For Mr AGsteel, yes it does open in the Chrome and other browsers on my Chromebook.  That is how I have been using it but like the feel of the app.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Are you using Evernote 10 Android versions on your Chromebook? I'm still on the old version because my Chromebook is stuck on Android 9.0. I know some Chromebooks are now on Android 11. The Evernote Linux Beta version works very well on my Chromebook.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:57 PM, ianfm said:

Are you using Evernote 10 Android versions on your Chromebook? I'm still on the old version because my Chromebook is stuck on Android 9.0. I know some Chromebooks are now on Android 11. The Evernote Linux Beta version works very well on my Chromebook.

oh, you have the linux beta :) very nice.

The only version I can download from Google Play is version 8.1.3  I wanted to try one of the newer versions to see if they work but I have not found a way to download them.  If someone has a way to do that I'd love to know.  

I just signed up for the Linux Beta.  Maybe that will work.

• Level 5

If the OS version of your Chromebook is not supporting the v10 Framework, it does not offer you the new version to install.

In this case you need a newer version of the OS installed (no idea how to enforce this on a Chromebook), or you have to stick with what you've got.

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If the OS version of your Chromebook is not supporting the v10 Framework, it does not offer you the new version to install.

In this case you need a newer version of the OS installed (no idea how to enforce this on a Chromebook), or you have to stick with what you've got.

Modern chromebooks get automatic operating system updates for 10 years. The Android runtime on a Chromebook runs in a container. The current release for most chromebooks uses the Android 9 API. Google is slowly rolling out an Android 11 runtime container for Chrome OS. Your chromebook will get this at some stage.

The advantages of a new Android runtime container for a ChromeOS device are marginal. The current Android runtime container (version 9) gets security updates with every release and I'm not aware of any big important APIs which were introduced in Android 10 or 11. Evernote itself is an unusual app in that it demands at least Android 10 for it to be installed. The Android API doesn't change that quickly nowadays so I'm at a loss to explain why Evernote only supports Android 10+. It seems fairly arbitrary from the part of Evernote. I'm not an Android developer but nothing on this page strikes me as a good reason for this cut-off: https://developer.android.com/about/versions/10/behavior-changes-10.

Edited by ehrt74
added clarity
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

I'm on a PixelBook and the evernote local client is really terrible.  i've been using the web client mostly but the login takes forever.   is there an other solution for Chromebooks?    I'm a big Pixelbook fan and don't want to switch.  

mav

On 12/22/2021 at 4:28 AM, Phi87 said:

I'm on a PixelBook and the evernote local client is really terrible.  i've been using the web client mostly but the login takes forever.   is there an other solution for Chromebooks?    I'm a big Pixelbook fan and don't want to switch.  

mav

Login taking forever is odd. You might want to ask support about that. 

On the web browser I save my login for 30 days, so I don't have to enter password and 2FA key every time 

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue. Chrome Book running latest version of OS and when I try and login with the app the loading wheel just spins and spins and eventually gives up and goes back to the login/ sign up screen. I've tried rebooting my machine and reinstalling the app a few times with no changes. I can login on the browers, but I want to use the app.