Templates Not Working in Empty Note in New Tasks Version

Etihod

Idea

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, other than the fact that this problem occurred when I loaded the latest version from the tasks beta email I got, so if this isn't the right forum let me know:

In the newest version (see below) the option for templates disappears once you add a title. When you create a new note, the cursor defaults to the body of the note above the new template options. If you don't choose a template at that point and add a title, the option to add a template goes away even though the text says "Start writing, drag files, or start from a template". So if, like me, you prefer to title a note before starting on the content, you don't have the option to use a template unless you delete the title and start over from scratch. 

Hopefully this is a bug and not a feature change - I always title my notes prior to starting any content to avoid a ton of untitled notes. Thanks!

10.15.6-mac-ddl-public (2680)
Editor: v125.1.16140
Service: v1.36.3
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 9.15.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 9.15.38 AM.png

• Like 3

13 replies to this idea

I have the same version of Evernote as you.  I still can select Template after first typing the Title.  But I don't have the ... Open Gallery.  How do you get that?

image.thumb.png.b46edcd41a621375be1e847c862c5135.png

10.15.6-mac-ddl-public (2680)
Editor: v125.1.16140
Service: v1.36.3
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

@TonyLim What you're seeing is what I used to see, and functioned the way you're describing. Not sure why my version is different from yours but it is clearly and updated function. When you click on Add Template it gives you suggested templates, when you click on gallery it takes you to the default gallery of templates and your own templates (similar to the Template button on your version). It's an odd UI change particularly because they changed the wording on the buttons. 

• Level 5

These 2 buttons are new, added with the 10.15 version, I think. 

Thinking about it it probably is to make it more intuitive to use templates. 

Open gallery is like the previous Select template button. Add template allows to customize the template selection.

Why not, once you start typing or adding own content the buttons disappear.

@PinkElephant 

Why not, once you start typing or adding own content the buttons disappear.

The problem is that in the previous version, the template button wouldn't disappear until you started typing in the body of the note. Now, the new buttons disappear once you start typing in the body OR the title field. The result is that, if like me, you start with the note title as step one, you can't select your template in the body as step two like before. I hate starting in the body of the note before the title (this is a default setting I wish we could change) and as it stands currently I have to choose a template before I choose a note title. This seems counterintuitive. The way my brain works is "I need to make a note called XYZ, and now I need to select a template that works with the purpose of XYZ note. Not, I need to make a note about XYZ, let me choose a template for XYZ, then go back and call the note XYZ. Does that make sense?

• Like 2

I cannot agree more. I had a nice workflow there I could start adding my title and then open the template. With that button change, I have wasted so much time deleting notes so I can start over. I cope they revert this back ASAP. I have a ticket open on this too.

• Like 1

@Etihodoh no, now I have the same interface (Add templates, Open Gallery) and the same problem as you.  If enter Title first, the Add templates and Open Gallery is gone.

@David Sarnowskidid they get back to you on your ticket?  did they say they only to fix it or did they say it is a feature, instead?

• Level 5

My ticket was acknowledged, further action pending.

Currently whatever you want to do later, before you type one characters or insert something, select your template. Once the template is there, you can do whatever you want.

If you already added something, you need to delete it to get the template selection back.

Yeah since there hasn't been an update to fix this yet I have been trying to training myself to select the template first before adding the title. I mess it up about 70% of the time though, it's. Really hope they address this in future updates. 

• Like 1

Very irritating as I use (or used until now...) IFTTT to automatically create a new note every day.  The note is still created, but as the title line is automatically filled in I am not able to (easily) add a template.  So, I've had to stop using IFTTT and just do it by hand, taking care to remember to add the template before I write in the title.  First World problems and all that, but it is annoying that something that used to work suddenly doesn't.

• Ex Employees

We are aware of this limitation we introduced – needing to pick the template before entering the title – and we will resolve it.  The backstory of why this undesirable side effect happened is entirely too technically arcane for me to try to relate, so I'll skip over that part.

The most important thing to relate is that we recognize the problem, a fix is in progress and is scheduled for one of the next few releases.  For clarity and to try to avoid initial disappointment, at this point we know for sure that the fix will not make the next release (apologies).

Back to lurking,
ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1