Problems right-clicking to cut/paste text

For the past month or two, I've been having difficulty trying to cut and paste text in my notes.  I highlight the section I want to move, but when I then right-click over it, the right-click menu doesn't appear.  Nothing.  Sometimes it does, but often it doesnt, and I can't figure out why it only works some of the time.  If I highlight a smaller selection of text it usually works better than if I select a large part of a note.  Please help!

For what it is worth I appear to be having the same problem(s).  Note that I use the desktop version for the most part.

I am finding the program VERY SLOW to respond.  In fact, the more I look into it the more it appears that the various problems I'm encountering are all related to the slow response time.  I just now highlighted text, performed a right-click, and waited.  It took about 15 seconds for the popup screen to appear.  I have also noted a difference in response depending on the length of the highlighted section.  Trying to scroll within a note has also been hit and miss and VERY SLOW to respond.

I was recently forced to upgrade to the new version.  My installation is:

10.13.4-win-ddl-public (2607)
Editor: v123.0.15939
Service: v1.34.4

I don't have the same issues (right-click, scrolling) with the web-based version but it does take a long time to load.

• Evernote Expert

It will be no comfort to know that I NOT experiencing this issue as described. Right-click works every time. If I was suffering then I think I'd completely uninstall the application being sure to delete the data and program directories to give you a clean start.

Another question/option... Which version of the desktop are you using? If using the Windows store app then download the standalone version from evernote.com and vice versa.  Still delete the data and program directories to be sure.

%AppData%\Evernote

%LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem. Using 10.14.6. Takes 8-10 seconds for the menu to pop up, for example to copy or paste.

A new bug. Anyone else see this??

Windows 10 desktop

Doesn't happen on web version, but that's under control of Firefox, who knows how to write, test, and deliver a working product.

thx,

.10.14.6-win-ddl-public (2651)
Editor: v124.1.16108
Service: v1.35.5
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• 4 weeks later...

I am also encountering the same problem for several months now. I used to be a premium Evernote subscriber, actually, I still am until my annual subscription expires. 

But because of this, I decided not to auto-renew my subscription anymore and tried OneNote. 

To be honest, I love Evernote better than OneNote but because of this, I have no choice but to use Onenote. 

I'd be willing to subscribe again to Evernote if this can be fixed. 

Tried Agsteele's recommendation but still facing the same problem after doing so. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello evernoters,

same problem to me using Windows10, during the first 5-10min of use of Evernote right-clicking the program just freezes and even the Windows alert pops up to let me decide if I want to wait or to reset the program. 

After 5-10min of using Evernot, this right-clicking issue doesn't occur no more. 

My Evernote Version:
10.16.7-win-ddl-public (2732)
Editor: v126.0.16239
Service: v1.37.3

There are soooo many bugs, UI oddities, performance issues, poor design decisions, etc..

I don't have the time to debug their product for them. A better test process, more professional UI design, maybe better beta test... could get them close enough so for the occasional problem I would be willing to spend time generating some type of trace for them.

For now, it could be a full time job.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

This is obviously an approach that will not lead to any improvement, not for yourself, not for other users.

In general not any design decision is bad because you don't agree, not every UI definition is wrong because you have a different opinion. About taste one can't argue, some like it, some don't. If you are lending your ear to classical music, and mistakenly find yourself in a heavy metal concert, you leave, even if others enjoy themselves. If you don't like the software you get, look out for another one.

Maybe we can focus on the real issues, like the one posted above. "System need 5-10 min until it reacts normally on startup" sounds like it. My v10 client (ok, on a Mac) is responsive right away, and stays like that.

Any difference in the setup ? Maybe yes - my first thought is that there might be a security software running when starting, causing the system to slow. This is what I observe when I (rarely) use Windows on a real PC, even if it is just running the MS Defender. One look into the task manager can tell a lot.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

This is obviously an approach that will not lead to any improvement, not for yourself, not for other users.

I'm a customer using their product. Not a paid employee. I have no obligation to debug their product, especially since most of the problems are so obvious and repeatedly reported here.

But I'm really in support of your doing so. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello everybody, I had similar problem with delayed opening of the right click menu.

THIS SOLUTION SOLVED THE PROBLEM:

Tools > Preferences > disable "Check spelling while typing" 

My version:

WIN10 64BIT

10.20.4-win-ddl-public (2893)
Editor: v130.1.16687
Service: v1.38.1
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Hopefully it will help you 2

Regards

• 2 months later...

Running latest evernote on windows 10 pro, lags almost every time I copy paste something from another window to a note and within the same note as well., lags when I right click to highlight something, it's *****, a real headache when you have ideas in your head and need to slow down and wait for evernote to respond. 

• Level 5

Can you specify a little on what sort of computer you are running it ?

I run my Windows client either on a 9 year old middle class HP desktop, or in a virtual machine on my MacBook Pro (set to 3 cores and 6GB of RAM). It works in both configs (both Win10 Pro) pretty much without any of what you describe.

I even run it in the web client in a Firefox browser on my Raspberry Pi 4 / 4 GB, not overclocked and passively cooled (a 50€ tiny Linux computer), and it is even well usable (though not snappy) on this minimal config.

My use case for this is to move code snippets I need from and to the Linux desktop - which involves a lot of selecting, copying and pasting.

So I really wonder what creates the bottlenecked performance reported here.