Mac Version of Evernote - Link to Local File/Folder

Bob123

Idea

I am currently on version 10.12.6 of Evernote for Mac and the ability to create a link in a note that opens a local file or folder has not been reinstated.  Will this functionality be reinstated in Version 10 of Evernote?  This worked in prior versions by creating a link that has the file:// prefix.

• Like 9

16 replies to this idea

On 5/3/2021 at 5:19 PM, Bob123 said:

I am currently on version 10.12.6 of Evernote for Mac and the ability to create a link in a note that opens a local file or folder has not been reinstated.  Will this functionality be reinstated in Version 10 of Evernote?  This worked in prior versions by creating a link that has the file:// prefix.

Thanks for this request. I am currently on version 10.13.4 for Mac and cannot detect this functionality, too.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, eric_treelight said:

Great idea. Apparently, out here in the land of the great unwashed, it is not even possible to file a bug report.
Anyone out there with an upgraded version who can?

A feature request is not a "bug"; no report is required

If you wish to indicate support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5

It is not a bug, it is a still missing feature in v10.

A workaround is to install the legacy client. It can be installed and used side by side with v10 - maybe there are restrictions for Free users through the limit on devices / clients.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

A feature request is not a "bug"; no report is required

If you wish to indicate support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Good info. I saw the like buttons next to comments, but missed the upvote button at top left. That helps.

But since this feature *used* to work and since file:// is absolutely standard HTML syntax, the absence
of this feature must be considered a regression. Hence, a bug.

• Level 5

We can discuss semantics here, and you are free to issue a support ticket if you wish.

Just as a little background: The new v10clients operate through an underlying framework - sort of a browser without a user frontend. All interaction to other apps and to the OS functions is handled through this framework. The function you are requesting is typical for such a framework interaction. So you can consider it a bug, but don’t expect a „fix“ in the meaning they have to clean up a little bit of code to settle it.

Unfortunately everything involving the framework tends to be a major operation.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, eric_treelight said:

But since this feature *used* to work and since file:// is absolutely standard HTML syntax, the absence
of this feature must be considered a regression. Hence, a bug.

File links are supported in Evernote's Legacy product    
File links are not supported innEvernote's v10 product

Two different products; I run both on my Mac

• Like 1
On 1/7/2023 at 6:28 PM, peterlemer said:

I have 10.50 and I can't, for the life of me, make it work. HELP!

What works for me on the Mac is to use a web-like URL:   file:///full-path-to-file  -- make sure that all spaces are converted to %20 and copy it onto the clipboard.   I suspect on Windows, you either have to use "/" instead of "\" in the full path or use \\ for each \ (or the hex equivalent %5C) but I don't have a way to try it out.

Then highlight the text to associate with the link, use CMD/CTRL + K to open up link dialog and paste into it.  On the Mac, I can do files and folders.

I have also found that using application URI's work.

I CAN NOT make the markdown keystrokes: [text](file:///full-path-to-file-without-spaces} work.

I have built a short-cut on the Mac to let CMD+Ctrl+OPT+C to copy the link from Finder using Keyboard Maestro.

• Like 1
On 1/16/2023 at 9:56 PM, Dave Green said:

I have built a short-cut on the Mac to let CMD+Ctrl+OPT+C to copy the link from Finder using Keyboard Maestro.

Nice catch. Have not used Keyboard Maestro in many many years. Used to use CopyPath until it became a ridiculously priced subscription app. How do you prepend the obligatory: 

file:///Volumes/Macintosh HD/

since when you use Copy Path from the Finder, it will only have the path up to and including the Users folder?

Just trying to find a quick way to do this. Does KB Maestro have this functionality.

Thanks.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:00 PM, DTLow said:

File links are supported in Evernote's Legacy product    
File links are not supported innEvernote's v10 product

Two different products; I run both on my Mac

I now have both v10 and v7 open at the same time.

I use v10 for its better GUI and better tools, and if I want a local file, I simply switch to v7. The notes synchronise both ways.

This means that to link to a local file involves a single keystroke.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:13 AM, rootdr said:

Nice catch. Have not used Keyboard Maestro in many many years. Used to use CopyPath until it became a ridiculously priced subscription app. How do you prepend the obligatory: 

file:///Volumes/Macintosh HD/

since when you use Copy Path from the Finder, it will only have the path up to and including the Users folder?

Just trying to find a quick way to do this. Does KB Maestro have this functionality.

Thanks.

You don't need the "Volumes/Macintosh HD/" part.  You do need to add the file://  and probably want to translate spaces to %20.  I use a script that I just add to Keyboard Maestro

#!/usr/bin/perl

my $in = <STDIN>;
my $url = $in;
$url =~ s/\ /%20/g;
$url = "file://" . $url;
print $url

I used to do file links all the time when using windows (going back a decade), usually for work projects linking to spreadsheets and documents.

Now that I'm using mac I wanted to do the same.

I'm using 10.68.2

File link works and is easy to set up... I have my files in iCloud

Get the file path & file name .... I use the Profind app to display the file, and then "copy path"

e.g.  /Users/bcal/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/foldera/folderb/myfile.xlsx

prefix with file:// so get a new file string

file:///Users/bcal/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/foldera/folderb/myfile.xlsx

right click "add link"

put that file string in the link, and whatever into text

Simple click on the link text to open the document.

• Like 1