Evernote won't open on my Mac anymore - ERROR

I'm running Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3. Whenever I try to open Evernote, it says, "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote."  I have deleted the desktop app and reinstalled several times, so I know I'm using the latest version of the app. I have also updated my Mac to make sure it has the latest software. This does not happen on my laptop, on my desktop Mac.

Anyone have any ideas on solutions to getting the desktop app to open on my Mac?

• Like 4

Big Sur on iMac - having the same issue. keeps crashing on opening the app. gets caught in unless loop of a screen to quit & restart. have to force quit in order for it to go away. 

my MacBook pro has the same Big Sur 11.3.1 & Evernote works fine. 

tried deleting app, rebooting. download the latest version off of App Store =  no luck. still crashes. unable to get a crashlog because it doesn't let me start the app. 

evernote.png

• Like 1

iMac (2015 retina) OS Big Sur 11.3.1

upon opening Evernote i am caught in an endless loop of a splash screen to restart the app. have to force quit in order to break out. 

tried uninstalling Evernote, reboot machine. then download latest version of Evernote & reinstall. still doesn't work. i can't get to the crashlog because the app never opens. it gets stuck in the opening splash screen. 

evernote.png

• Like 1

I am running Big Sur 11.3.1 and when I launch Evernote I get a box "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote." I contacted Apple Support. They had me reinstall Big Sur. I trashed Evernote and reinstalled. It sometime almost loads, sometimes does not load at all, but never is usable. No problem on my MacBook that is Big Sur 11.3. This is a big bummer. Really interferes with my workflow. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Same problem I tried installing the latest installer version (10.13.4...2607) but no change. So I went back to an older installer (10.6.9...225; dated Jan 25, 2021) and that now shows the same problem. This suggests that some internal file is trashed. I'm surprised that the Evernote folk have not responded, even to Premium members...

• Like 1

I did @maaly5 -- i had kept one in my downloads foldefr, but it had the same problem. That's why I think that the new version damaged one of the supporting files. I am totally perplexed as to why Evernote hasn't responded to this thread in some way.

• Level 5

This is a user forum - we other users may answer, and that is it. Subscribers have access to the support, and should use it if they can't locate a solution here.

To sort out Problems on the Mac:

• They often have a relation to some corrupted data or file, as suggested. Get the free app AppCleaner (if you don't have it already) and make a full uninstall. This means checking all boxes found by AppCleaner, not only those that are already ticked.
  • Restart the Mac
  • Reinstall the app, use the direct install from the web site, then log in, and wait for the initial sync to go through.

This should solve the problems.

• Thanks 1

@PinkElephant Thanks for your reply. Do you know how to reach support for premium members? I have not found any email or anything that I can submit. That's why it ended up on here. This was a last resort. I do appreciate your suggestions, all of which have been tried at least five times. Unfortunately, no success on solving the problem.

• 2 months later...

I have exactly same problem -- on 11.5.1.

Apple Genius Bar completely reformatted my MacBook Pro disk and installed 11.5.1.  Everything now works properly on my Mac, EXCEPT Evernotes, which crashes on launch. Always and instantly.

I have deleted and reinstalled several times. From the App store and from the EN web page. Yes, restarted the Mac each time. No change, and no ability to use EN on this machine at all.  (It runs fine on another MacBook Pro w/ older OS, on iPad Pro, on iPhone 11Pro and iPhone 12Pro Max)

Isn't this the official EN page?  Why has there been ZERO response from them for a problem others have seen for nearly a year now???

• Level 5

If you have a subscription, you can ask support.

If not, you are send to hell and damnation …

… or to meet your lovely fellow users here, who may try to help you out. BTW, the forum is user2user, so nobody here is obliged to answer. Be nice to everybody, we are nice people here as well (mostly).

From my experience there is some corrupted file left on your Mac that causes the crashing. You need to get rid of it - which the standard uninstall process will not do. It tries to preserve settings and data in the background, to make it easier when you decide to reinstall. Nice try - it means the corrupted data is still there when you reinstall.

Get the app AppCleaner from the internet - it is free. Install it, give it the necessary rights in Mac settings, security, tab privacy.

Now install EN v10 on your Mac, if it is currently not installed. Give it a try (Crashing again ? Else you may stop here if it is now working).

Start the AppCleaner app. A window will show, to drop the EN program icon on a button for removal. Now a new window will open. There are a lot of positions listed, each one a part of the EN installation. Some are checked, for uninstall. Others are not checked and would remain. „Would“ - because now you go and check every position to be uninstalled. Scroll down, there is more, and check them all ! Now hit uninstall.

Restart the Mac.

Get EN from the Evernote.com website. Install, open, log in. Working ? 

Good - keep it open now, and wait because it will now make the initial sync. Don’t start working right away, give it a break to get things organized. When all notes show and the web traffic has stopped, you can start using it.

• Like 1

@PinkElephant - Yes, I have been a premium subscriber since EN was new (I forget what year that was, but centuries in Computer Time).  I have submitted a tech support request, but not heard back yet.  (I just submitted today, Saturday, so that is not surprising).

Since this is on the EN site, I had assumed it was official.  Didn't realize it was only user-to-user.  That limits it usefulness quite a lot. (Though I appreciate others trying to help, most of the time I can solve my own problems -- when I can't, it tends to stump others too)

I used AppCleaner many years ago, and it caused more problems than it solved, so I have avoided it and its ilk ever since.  Are you saying it is better now, and won't lead me to a week of fixing the mess it creates?

I also assume there is some corrupted file. I did a system search and removal of all files with "evernote" or "quicknote" in the name. I also moved all "enex" files out of reach (hoping I could use them again if EN starts working).  I have installed from the AppStore and also from the EN web site. No improvement or change in any of that.

@PinkElephant -- THAT WORKED!

I went to the freesoft site and downloaded AppCleaner, and told it to remove Evernotes.  Yep, it found a few files I had not seen in my own search.  Told it to remove everything.

I then downloaded EN from the EN site again, ran it... and it worked!

Thanks!

• Like 2