Messed up my notes and I need help on what I should do

I have two Evernote accounts. One for business and one for personal use. I wanted to combine them in to one account but just keep them in separate notebooks. Little did I know, when you import from another account, it doesn't keep the tag hierarchy. Now, I have hundreds of tags thrown everywhere in my personal account and a complete mess.

It kind of upset me so I stopped using Evernote for a while, really only for reference. 

I'm looking to start over. I want to be able to reference the previous data but I want to be able to start over with no data and bring in what I need. I am a premium member so I don't want to maintain a 3rd account for this. I've been using Evernote since 2008 and I have a lot of notes. I'm on Windows 10, if that helps any.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for listening!

Also, I wanted to note that I'm not a fan of these new forums. They are confusing and frustrating.

• Level 5*

Hi.  It should be possible to set up two stacks - containers for notebooks - to handle your business and personal notebooks. (I'm assuming that you use two premium accounts,  or a premium and a basic account for your current notes).  Exporting from Evernote to ENEX files is something you do notebook-by-notebook,  because the exported file does not contain notebook information,  but it should have included tags.  Next time you do that,  watch for options.

To 'start over' I'd suggest you create you two stacks in your account and then start moving existing notebooks into the correct business or personal slot.  If you have a lot of notebooks,  you may have to come up with some naming conventions like stacks named BUS-current,  and BUS-archive to split them up a little.

Hope that helps - it shouldn't be rocket-science..

Create a notebook stack

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  It should be possible to set up two stacks - containers for notebooks - to handle your business and personal notebooks. (I'm assuming that you use two premium accounts,  or a premium and a basic account for your current notes).  Exporting from Evernote to ENEX files is something you do notebook-by-notebook,  because the exported file does not contain notebook information,  but it should have included tags.  Next time you do that,  watch for options.

To 'start over' I'd suggest you create you two stacks in your account and then start moving existing notebooks into the correct business or personal slot.  If you have a lot of notebooks,  you may have to come up with some naming conventions like stacks named BUS-current,  and BUS-archive to split them up a little.

Hope that helps - it shouldn't be rocket-science..

Create a notebook stack

Thank you for the info. My biggest issue is the tags. I have hundreds of them now on the root from where they were imported. I don't see how stacks will help in that regards, or am I missing something?

49 minutes ago, TechGuy said:

I don't see how stacks will help in that regards, or am I missing something?

They will not. The tag hierarchy does not go with in enex from my understanding. So you have your current tag mess. Not sure there is a easy way to fix the tags besides maybe deleting them all and starting fresh - but then you lose all the tagging that you did before.

The stacks will help keeping note separate as person and business - I do a stack just for work just for this reason.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TechGuy said:

t doesn't keep the tag hierarchy

Confirmed - we get the note, and it's tags; no hierarchy    
I reflect the hierarchy in the tag name; for example Budget, Budget-Housing, Budget-Housing-Utilities

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TechGuy said:

I have two Evernote accounts. One for business and one for personal use. I wanted to combine them in to one account but just keep them in separate notebooks. Little did I know, when you import from another account, it doesn't keep the tag hierarchy. Now, I have hundreds of tags thrown everywhere in my personal account and a complete mess.

It kind of upset me so I stopped using Evernote for a while, really only for reference. 

I'm looking to start over. I want to be able to reference the previous data but I want to be able to start over with no data and bring in what I need. I am a premium member so I don't want to maintain a 3rd account for this. I've been using Evernote since 2008 and I have a lot of notes. I'm on Windows 10, if that helps any.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for listening!

Also, I wanted to note that I'm not a fan of these new forums. They are confusing and frustrating.

Not clear from the above as to the current condition of your two accounts.  If they are reasonably pristine as they once were you could try importing notes by some bit of tag hierarchy at a time.  Then organize those tags in the new account.  Kind of control the chaos. 

If everything is already jumbled, use the tags view (Ctrl+Shift+T) in a legacy desktop app and drag/drop to organize.  No pretty way to do this of which I am aware.  How many tags are we talking out of interest?

2 minutes ago, CalS said:

Not clear from the above as to the current condition of your two accounts.  If they are reasonably pristine as they once were you could try importing notes by some bit of tag hierarchy at a time.  Then organize those tags in the new account.  Kind of control the chaos. 

If everything is already jumbled, use the tags view (Ctrl+Shift+T) in a legacy desktop app and drag/drop to organize.  No pretty way to do this of which I am aware.  How many tags are we talking out of interest?

A ***** ton, which is why I want to start over but be able to access the previous information. I suppose I'll start a new account or try some other alternative. Hate to move when I've been using this account since 2008.  

The import should have kept the hierarchy. I mean, it's their down dang export. 

Thanks for everyone's help.

• Like 2
Just now, TechGuy said:

I suppose I'll start a new account

No reason to do that. You should be able to drop all of your old tags under one tag "old tags" or something like that. I mean it sounds like it would be more work than going new. 

Is tag hierarchy that important? You have all of the tags still and over time could get them into sub tags, etc.. At least the way I use tags if my hierarchy fell apart it would not be the end of the world and I could continue on.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, TechGuy said:

A ***** ton, which is why I want to start over but be able to access the previous information. I suppose I'll start a new account or try some other alternative. Hate to move when I've been using this account since 2008.  

The import should have kept the hierarchy. I mean, it's their down dang export. 

Thanks for everyone's help.

You are welcome.