App Links in iPad

thegreatluke

Idea

If you make a link to another note on iPad it only creates web links.

This drives me crazy when later in the day I'm on my mac and click that link, because then the web browsers opens up instead of just opening the linked note in the Evernote Desktop app.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 replies to this idea

It seems it is only possible to create internal links as web links on mobile devices (iphone and ipad at least), and this is not a problem when using mobile devices as the links will still open up within the Evernote app. However, when on a Mac computer internal links can be both web links and app links, and therefore all the links created on mobile devices will open up in a browser instead of within the Evernote app on the Mac.

This is so frustrating. Just fix it already!

Either have the same two options for internal links on mobile devices or better yet make the same link work on either app/web depending on the platform you use (if you're operating a web version of Evernote it opens in a new tab, if operating in the app it opens in the app).  

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, thegreatluke said:

If you make a link to another note on iPad it only creates web links.

And using the link in the iPad app opens the link in-app   
        using the link in the web app opens the link in the web

>>I'm on my mac and click that link, because then the web browsers opens upinstead of just opening the linked note in the Evernote Desktop app.

Is it possibly an issue with the Mac app    
In the past this was resolved via a Safari cookie

On 4/11/2021 at 4:48 PM, DTLow said:

And using the link in the iPad app opens the link in-app   
        using the link in the web app opens the link in the web

>>I'm on my mac and click that link, because then the web browsers opens upinstead of just opening the linked note in the Evernote Desktop app.

Is it possibly an issue with the Mac app    
In the past this was resolved via a Safari cookie

Has a solution being been found yet? This is really frustrating.

• Level 5

I think this is due to the fact that both mobile operating systems use a sandboxing to make the devices more secure. iOS probably applies it in a stricter way, but Android is doing something similar. Probably this prevents app links to be created on mobile.

To get a better picture you can ask support.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:58 AM, PinkElephant said:

I think this is due to the fact that both mobile operating systems use a sandboxing to make the devices more secure. iOS probably applies it in a stricter way, but Android is doing something similar. Probably this prevents app links to be created on mobile.

To get a better picture you can ask support.

No, there is no obvious reason. App links are just links starting with evernote:// and they work perfectly in the iOS and iPadOS version (if used). Again it is just one of the many examples of functionalities they "forgot" in the mobile version for no reason.

Yesterday Evernote promoted on their Twitter account the possibility to use internal links for creating tables of contents. I replied: "The problem is: Internal links that were created on an iPad are always web links (there is no way to create app links). As a result these links when used on a Mac will always leave Evernote and open a web browser. Not very useful for a table of contents." The Evernote Helps Twitter account answered: "I can confirm that this is a limitation we are aware of, and our development team hopes to make improvements in the future."

• Thanks 1