What happened to IMPORT folder?

Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

I was forced to upgrade and this new version is a disaster. Where i the import folder? How can i define it? It's been there for ten years and is core functionality. The product is now d unusable. Am I missing something or is this a horribly flawed product? Can I downgrade? How? Completely unacceptable.

Thanks.

^Carl. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
  • Solution
31 minutes ago, CDMtoday said:

Where i the import folder? 

The Version 10 product is a work-in-progress
Import Folder is a planned feature - no timetable but imminent

>>Can I downgrade? How?

The Evernote Legacy product can be installed from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I installed the Legacy version and tried to sign in yesterday, it wouldn't connect to the server. I chatted with a support rep this morning - he said their Credential Stuffing prevention tool (can't remember the exact name) was blocking my login. He said they would whitelist me within the next 48 hours (based on my IP address and user agent). When I asked him if it would be a problem that my IP address is dynamic (since I'm on an Xfinity residential plan), he said he didn't think that would be a problem. I'm far from an expert, but I don't see how whitelisting an IP address which may change will ultimately be helpful.

With that as background, does anyone know of an Evernote alternative that does include the import folder feature?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you. Once I was able to roll back the versions to 6.X, all is working again, so that's good news.

Coming out with a "work in progress", especially with a x.8 designation would barely be acceptable for a startup, and is well out of bounds for an established mission-critical SaaS platform. I now have concerns about the future health of the platform and it viability as a solution. We will be paying closer attention going forward. I hope EN can right the ship.

Thanks again for the rapid response and workable solution.

• Like 1

I used to have a desktop folder named "Send to Evernote".  If I dragged something to that folder, it would automatically be sent to Evernote.  That feature is gone and I can't figure out how to re-enable it.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, CAPThomas said:

I used to have a desktop folder named "Send to Evernote".  If I dragged something to that folder, it would automatically be sent to Evernote.  That feature is gone and I can't figure out how to re-enable it.  Any help would be appreciated.

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion    
See above for answers

• Like 1

The import feature was EXTREMELY USEFULL can you please make this a TOP PRIORITY . . . PLEASE!

I was still using the folder and just today realized nothing was getting added to Evernote.  When the feature gets reinstated will I have a million duplicate notes from the existing import folder?

I'm not sure why I was forced to update only to then force a downgrade. If the program was not ready for general use why not leave it in Beta?

• Like 1

VERY unhappy about this. This has been my primary use for evernote for years. There are many alternatives starting to come out now, and the bloatware that is 10.8.*, but dropping core features silently, is bizarre.

I used to have my scanner set up to drop files into a folder, which evernote picked up.   I've been using that for maybe 10 years. I really have no other compelling use case for evernote..  Web snipping has been useful, but many other (free) options for that.

I also find it annoying, that your help still says go to the Tools menu, when in fact, you've removed it.   That's very sloppy.

Please lift your game and treat your existing customer base with more respect.

There's some line about it's 10x cheaper to keep an existing customer than to acquire a new one....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I just realized that none of my scanning sessions for all of 2021 have been captured by Evernote. Naturally, I went to check out my "Import Folder" settings and couldn't find it in the menu. What??! What software design geniuses decided it would be ok to remove this very popular feature from a new version? Just bizarre.

I see thru other postings that supposedly this feature will be coming back and that it was "imminent" but that was over 2 months ago. PLEASE PLEASE BRING IT BACK NOW!

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

@RussK Best to install the legacy version of the program and have that run alongside Evernote 10 or just use it instead of version 10. Installing the legacy version and checking that the import folders are correctly configured will clear up all the pending imports and keep running until v10 finally gets the promised function.

For sure, we have all been waiting for months. Life has been too short to wait for the new feature so having legacy running alongside  v10 has provided the best of both worlds.

OK, I installed the Legacy Windows program.  So that was able to allow me to use my import folder for several hundred PDF documents.

I understand that the new Windows app does not have the import folder functionality (makes no sense it was released, but it is what it is).

If I didn't want to use the Legacy program and can't use the import folder, with the new app how do I import PDFs into Evernote?  That is...assume I didn't have the Legacy Windows program.  I have several hundred PDFs that I want to get into Evernote.  How do I do that?  Is there any way to do that?

• Level 5

At least they acknowledge by mentioning the issue that the import folders are on their backlog of features.

Good to know, especially when they keep the clients on the same level on this one. With legacy, import folders only existed in the Windows client, not for the Mac.

• Evernote Expert
On 5/8/2021 at 7:43 AM, Koshkaboo said:

OK, I installed the Legacy Windows program.  So that was able to allow me to use my import folder for several hundred PDF documents.

I understand that the new Windows app does not have the import folder functionality (makes no sense it was released, but it is what it is).

If I didn't want to use the Legacy program and can't use the import folder, with the new app how do I import PDFs into Evernote?  That is...assume I didn't have the Legacy Windows program.  I have several hundred PDFs that I want to get into Evernote.  How do I do that?  Is there any way to do that?

Yes, there are a couple of approaches (apart from dragging and dropping the file into Evernote 10).

1. @MikeP demonstrated a proof of concept using Dropbox and Zapier which created an equivalent of the Import Folder. It works well BUT the imported PDF does not automatically get deleted from the folder in Dropbox assigned. The files aren't imported multiple times bit it would probably be necessary to have a clear out once in awhile.

2. I created a SENDTO shortcut in Windows. I can right click on the PDF and choose SENDTO Evernote 10 and the PDF appears inside Evernote 10.  This has two limitations.  Firstly the imported PDF always goes to the default notebook. There is no means to SENDTO a different notebook. Also, for the last couple of releases of EN v10 the PDFs appear inside Evernote with their .pdf file suffix stripped.  You can see the PDF content and work with it just fine but if you want to open and edit the PDF with an external program then you need to rename the attachment to include the .pdf (This is a Windows issue - I understand that Mac OS doesn't rely of file suffixes).

Both of these are definitely temporary solutions.  The better is to run the legacy program alongside Evernote 10 and Import folders work just as they always have. When the resolution is done and Import Folders are restored then that's the best solution.

7 hours ago, agsteele said:

Yes, there are a couple of approaches (apart from dragging and dropping the file into Evernote 10).

Thank you for the ideas.  I was curious if there was some easy way to do this that I didn't know about in the current version.  Clearly, there is not.  I understand the intent is to add that functionality to the new app.

That said, I've decided to move on from Evernote.  My premium renewal is coming up in June and absent some major change (in management or how it thinks), I can't see staying with Evernote.  I've wondered about long term viability for awhile but decided to give this management a chance and stayed.  I would prefer to stay because Evernote meets my overall needs well.  I use it mostly as a document archive, but also use it for more typical notes.  I've decided to move my more typical notes to OneNote (already have Office subscription) and my PDF archive to Google Drive.  That is not the greatest long term solution but I don't trust Evernote not to abruptly destroy functionality again.  I am even considering getting a Mac notebook (I have a Windows desktop) and using DevonThink (although I don't like the lack of cloud option so I can't access from my desktop computer).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 9:45 PM, agsteele said:

@RussK Best to install the legacy version of the program and have that run alongside Evernote 10 or just use it instead of version 10. Installing the legacy version and checking that the import folders are correctly configured will clear up all the pending imports and keep running until v10 finally gets the promised function.

For sure, we have all been waiting for months. Life has been too short to wait for the new feature so having legacy running alongside  v10 has provided the best of both worlds.

Hello. How can I install both versions side by side?

Thanks Christoph

• Evernote Expert
11 minutes ago, Christoph Hons said:

How can I install both versions side by side?

First, install version 10. The current version is 10.15.6 - https://evernote.com/download

Once that is complete, download and install the legacy version 6.25.2 - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

You will have two separate installations - the Green shortcut icon will be the new v10 and the Grey icon will open the legacy.

Be warned - the two versions sync at different speeds. So don't edit the same note in both versions until you are certain that they are in sync.

18 minutes ago, agsteele said:

First, install version 10. The current version is 10.15.6 - https://evernote.com/download

Once that is complete, download and install the legacy version 6.25.2 - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

You will have two separate installations - the Green shortcut icon will be the new v10 and the Grey icon will open the legacy.

Be warned - the two versions sync at different speeds. So don't edit the same note in both versions until you are certain that they are in sync.

thanks