Evernote for Windows always opens to the same note after reboot

I've got one weird issue with Evernote for Windows. I'm on version 10.6.9-win-ddl-public (2254).

Whenever I first go into Evernote after a reboot or power on, it always opens to the same note. It's a fairly arbitrary note, but it's always the same one, and has been stuck that way over the last couple of Evernote versions.

If I exit from Evernote and go back in, within the same session (not logging out or rebooting or anything), then it behaves as expected, and returns to the note I was working on last.

I hope I've explained that well. I did a little searching here and didn't find any similar issues.

And I also use Evernote for Mac, and I don't experience this issue there. (Though, come to think of it, I almost never actually reboot or power down my Mac. I usually just put it to sleep.)

I think something like this has been reported before and I have certainly experienced the issue. A solution that worked for me is to make sure you not only close the app but you also close it in the Windows system tray (elephant icon at bottom right of screen) before you switch off the computer. If you are already doing this then I have no further ideas other than perhaps checking in task manager that EN really is not running before switching off.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Mike P said:

A solution that worked for me is to make sure you not only close the app but you also close it in the Windows system tray (elephant icon at bottom right of screen) before you switch off the computer.

Thanks, that worked!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

This is a bug that has existed for years, and a lot of people (myself included) run into it on a daily basis.   This badly NEEDS to be fixed by Evernote.  Will they ever fix it?  Based on their track record for actually fixing bugs I doubt it..

Can't say I appreciate the negative tone.  

Manually closing the application from the system tray is not a solution, it's a temporary bandaid that is entirely unrealistic to expect people to do every time they shut their computer down.   If you ever shut the system down without that additional bandaid step you are right back to encountering this bug.

There have been tickets opened for this bug for several years now, me opening another ticket would not help.

• Level 5

This bug has existed for years vs. the code base of v10 was renewed 100% and released less than a year from now. You find the contradiction.

Why writing tickets, these guys won’t do nothing anyhow … and bla bla bla they do nothing at all on other things either . OK, now let us talk about „negative tone“.

Have a nice day, from user to user, no further ideas how to help you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 6:47 AM, Mike P said:

I think something like this has been reported before and I have certainly experienced the issue. A solution that worked for me is to make sure you not only close the app but you also close it in the Windows system tray (elephant icon at bottom right of screen) before you switch off the computer. If you are already doing this then I have no further ideas other than perhaps checking in task manager that EN really is not running before switching off.

Thanks for this.  

This certainly hasn't existed for years. :)

But, thankful to get this fixed.  Was tired of seeing my Colonoscopy Record over and over! 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

Thanks for this.  

This certainly hasn't existed for years. :)

But, thankful to get this fixed.  Was tired of seeing my Colonoscopy Record over and over! 🤣

Now there's some Karma!!!!  😎

• Haha 1