Evernote for iOS version 10.4 Release notes

• Level 5

New:

Fixed:

• You would sometimes see an error when trying to open a note link, but not anymore.
  • We fixed an issue where the app would crash if you entered special characters (like *, <, and >) in the search bar while you were offline.
  • Fixed an issue where stacks containing certain characters wouldn’t display in the left sidebar
  • We fixed a problem where PDFs you had captured with ScanSnap would sometimes disappear.
  • We squashed a swarm of tiny bugs that, individually, didn’t amount to much but, collectively, were pretty annoying.
  • We polished some things under the hood to make the app more responsive and more stable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Working for me, so maybe something went wrong when you updated.

As a first try to get it to normal: Log out of the EN account, then close the app and restart the i-device to clean out memory. Then restart, reopen the app, log in and let it sync.

Next step would be a reinstall, as well with switching the i-device off between uninstalling and reinstalling.

Wow guys sooo many bugs still... totally aware of how software development works but this isn’t going well for me on iOS.

- repeated crashes when selecting a shortcut notebook

- blank screen when tapping on any note

Can’t even test the most annoying bug before was a sudden crash when I was midway reading a pdf. It’s completely unusable for me.

going to try the logout/re-sync. Which is a problem with 6k notes.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Working for me, so maybe something went wrong when you updated.

As a first try to get it to normal: Log out of the EN account, then close the app and restart the i-device to clean out memory. Then restart, reopen the app, log in and let it sync.

Next step would be a reinstall, as well with switching the i-device off between uninstalling and reinstalling.

No luck. I tried all the steps you suggested and shortcuts page is still blank. 

I guess I just have to wait to see if a new update resolves this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

You could try a forced restart of the i-device. How to do it depends on the type of i-device you are using:

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

This really cleans the active memory, but is no full reset, so no loss of apps or data. It needs to be done between uninstalling and reinstalling, so first uninstall, dump all data, then the forced restart. After that, reinstall, open, login and let the first sync run through.

• Thanks 1

aagh this thing is still such a mess, I really wish I could downgrade back to the old one on all my iThings, it still takes for-*****-ever to start responding when I launch the damn thing, and I just tried taking a photo note on my phone and it was the weirdest flickery jumpy experience ever, ugh

every time I open Evernote on my phone/tablet it is a slow, terrible experience and it just makes me pissed off but every other note app out there now is a giant pile of Electron garbage too and, ugh, if I didn't have to interoperate with my collaborator's Windows machine I'd just say ***** it and move to Apple's Notes or something, I think it's started to happen - I just used Apple Notes to write an impromptu grocery list the other day after several seconds of trying to wait for EN to decide to boot itself up on the old phone that was still perfectly functional for Old EN but I guess is too slow for adding six more layers of indirection between EN's code and the actual phone or something, it takes like twenty goddamn seconds to go from "tapping the EN icon on my iPad Air 2" to "actually being able to interact with EN", thirty on my iPad Mini 4, and I'm just sitting there trying to hold whatever thought I used to be able to dump into EN within *seconds* of waking up the thing, my phone EN is *still* stuck with a banner at the top saying it's importing a couple of photos I sent from the camera back when this piece of trash first came out

seriously just stick Old Evernote up on the app stores please, I hate this new app, I'm using the old one on my Mac and everything is fine there but it's utter hell everywhere else to have to use this super-slow thing

• Like 2

Totally non-functional for me on iOS. If I open, *sometimes* I can get 2-3 taps before tapping anywhere is completely non-responsive. Often I can't tap anything that is responsive--new note, existing note, menu options. Then it just shuts off/crashes the app after a while.

I logged out of account (quickly) restarted the iphone, signed back in, but no change at all. I haven't been able to use for an entire week. I use evernote for pretty much everything personal management, work and personal. Windows version is still working well, but I really need to use the app.

Update: deleting app and re-installing seems to have fixed. great!

Edited by Hands On
fixed
  • Level 5

About what type of i-device are you talking ?

We run EN v10.4 on an iPad Air 2 (slow), an iPhone 6S+ (better, but still slow), an iPad Pro 10.5 (Good) and an iPhone 11 Pro Max (Good+). All devices run iOS 14.3. This should give you a range.

On the older devices interaction is possible, but you sometimes have to wait a little for the app to react before you move ahead. It works, but it does not feel snappy. On the newer ones, it is like using any other app with some depth of functionality. Giving that the processor driving the 6S+ has 2 billion transistors, whereas the iPhone 11 has 10 billion, it is not really a big surprise that you feel a difference.

If you run newer gear, and still have a speed problem, probably something got stuck on updating. In this case you should probably do a complete uninstall/reinstall. Dump all data when uninstalling, and switch the i-device completely off before reinstalling.

• Level 5

iPhone 11 ProMax, ios 14.3, EN v10.4 iOS, fast WiFi and Gigabit internet or 4G (reaction times does not differ):

From clicking the apps icon on the Home Screen until notes list appears: 4 sec

From clicking on a note until note is open (Title, little text plus a pdf): 2 sec

So maybe there is something special with your installation - maybe support could take a look.

Just to compare: On our iPhone  6S+it takes 15sec to open the notes view, and 4sec to open a note.On the iPad Air 2 it takes 17sec to open EN, and again 4sec to open a note. These two devices are the oldest in the Apple range that still run on iOS 14, and are able to load EN v10. For these older devices a widget or a quick menu item to create a note would be very nice.

• Like 1
On 1/16/2021 at 5:51 AM, Shane D. said:

New:

Fixed:

• You would sometimes see an error when trying to open a note link, but not anymore.
  • We fixed an issue where the app would crash if you entered special characters (like *, <, and >) in the search bar while you were offline.
  • Fixed an issue where stacks containing certain characters wouldn’t display in the left sidebar
  • We fixed a problem where PDFs you had captured with ScanSnap would sometimes disappear.
  • We squashed a swarm of tiny bugs that, individually, didn’t amount to much but, collectively, were pretty annoying.
  • We polished some things under the hood to make the app more responsive and more stable.

How about putting back the ability to sort reminders by due date. It was there in 10.3. Now support claims it was never a feature but is on the roadmap. What's the use of seeing reminders in 2022?

• Shane D. locked and unpinned this topic