Connecting Evernote to Excel

vcl

I was hoping to use a combination of Evernote and an Excel sheet to make a budget. I would like help figuring out how to do the following:

1. Insert a link into Evernote so I could access an Excel spreadsheet on my phone
  2. Be able to update the Excel from Evernote and sync the same Excel spreadsheet on my laptop

In order to do this, would I need to use Google Sheets instead? If so, how would I go about this in Google Sheets?

Thank you in advance!

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's possible to attach an Excel spreadsheet to a note so that it's available wherever you can access Evernote.  On a laptop the spreadsheet would open (if you install Excel) directly from the note and would save back into the note.  No need for separate files.  On a mobile it would be possible to download the spreadsheet from the note to view or edit it (again if you have the app installed) - which may not be practical for large amounts of data,  depending on your network connection speed.  An edited spreadsheet would need to be uploaded to re-attach it to the note.

• Level 5

You can export a notebook to an ENEX file, that many other programs can load.

But I don’t think that MS Office is able to do that, and for what use ?

What you could try is to import it into OneNote. Maybe it can then be transferred more easily into other Office apps.

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can export a notebook to an ENEX file, that many other programs can load.

But I don’t think that MS Office is able to do that, and for what use ?

What you could try is to import it into OneNote. Maybe it can then be transferred more easily into other Office apps.

I am using Evernote to keep track of my crafting supplies.  I want to download one particular vendor so I can add it to a booklet I am creating.

• Level 5*
On 1/14/2021 at 8:57 PM, vcl said:

I was hoping to use a combination of Evernote and an Excel sheet to make a budget.

I use a spreadsheet to present my budget information which is stored in Evernote
A spreadsheet provides much better presentation options than the Evernote note list

Receipts are stored in Evernote with the information in the note title   
example: 2020-12-10 Receipt [HomePod Mini] ?Vndr-BestBuy !Budget-Furniture !HomeContents-LivingRoom  $-145.98

I use a script on my Mac to generate a .csv file which is imported to my budget spreadsheet   
The spreadsheet is stored in Evernote as a note attachment file

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, kandy_davidson said:

Is there a way to download my Notebooks into an excel or Word document?

Hi.  Depends what you're downloading from,  but Legacy desktops (forinstance) can export notes to HTML which can be imported to Word or Excel....

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, kandy_davidson said:

I would like to export my Evernote Notebooks into an excel spreadsheet.  Unfortunately, Evernote upgraded me to v 10.5.7.  I was able to do this download in my previous version.

The Evernote Legacy product can be installed from  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I'm interested to hear your process for Evernote > Excel export

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 9:58 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  It's possible to attach an Excel spreadsheet to a note so that it's available wherever you can access Evernote.  On a laptop the spreadsheet would open (if you install Excel) directly from the note and would save back into the note.  No need for separate files.  On a mobile it would be possible to download the spreadsheet from the note to view or edit it (again if you have the app installed) - which may not be practical for large amounts of data,  depending on your network connection speed.  An edited spreadsheet would need to be uploaded to re-attach it to the note.

On my laptop, I have an Excel spreadsheet attached to a note.  In the spreadsheet, a couple of the records contain a link to other EN notes, which I added using the "copy internal link" option.  When I open the spreadsheet on my laptop and click one of the links, it opens the browser note, which isn't what I expected, but I can live with it.  My question has to do with opening the same spreadsheet from within my EN app on my iPhone.  I can see the links I added, but when I select them, nothing happens.  I don't need to edit the notes on my iPhone, but I was hoping I would be able to view the notes by clicking on the links in the spreadsheet.  

I tried setting this up sometime last year, and I could swear it worked then, but even the link that I added back then won't open a note.  I'm using Windows 10 on my laptop, and I don't have the Excel app installed on my phone.  Do I need it?  I'm not sure what other information you might need.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, flame1carol said:

I don't have the Excel app installed on my phone.  Do I need it?

AFAIK yes - if you wish to view or edit a spreadsheet.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:58 AM, gazumped said:

which may not be practical for large amounts of data,  depending on your network connection

My point here was that some spreadsheets can be rather large, and apparent lack of action could be down to a very slow download taking place in background somewhere...

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

AFAIK yes - if you wish to view or edit a spreadsheet.

My point here was that some spreadsheets can be rather large, and apparent lack of action could be down to a very slow download taking place in background somewhere...

Thanks, I'll try that.  The spreadsheet does open within the EN app, and I can see the records, but nothing happens when I tap the link.  I don't think my file will be more than a couple hundred records, so maybe it will work.

• Like 1

I downloaded Excel to my iPhone and signed in.  It will let me create a new worksheet, so everything appears to be working, however, when I open the spreadsheet in my EN note, which says it is an Excel file, and does open Excel on my laptop, it appears to just open the file within EN rather than opening the file in the Excel app.  Do I have to tell EN to use Excel in the settings or something?  I can still view my spreadsheet, but it isn't showing the rows and columns that Excel would, so I think it is just in some kind of display mode within EN.  Tapping the note links go nowhere.  Btw, the file I'm working with is only 19k.

I found another thread that said once I opened the spreadsheet in EN, to hit the share button in the top right of the spreadsheet I'm viewing and I can open it in Excel from there.  Once I did, the links work!  I hadn't noticed the button was there.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

This issue came up for me today. 'Use case': I want to copy a list of notes into another document (Google doc) so that the URL and created date is visible as well as the note title. Should be easy since I believe Evernote data is be stored in a structured and therefore accessible way, but it seems to have no mechanism for useful extractions.

My manual solution uses Notion:

Import a selected notebook folder from Evernote to Notion.

1. Use IMPORT (at the bottom of the sidepanel) 

Note: Notion only imports notebook folders from Evernote. If you are creating a list of Evernotes from different notebooks or a search list you will need to create a separate temporary notebook folder, copy your search list there and then import that new folder using Notion

2. Select Evernote as the application source

Select the notebook you want to copy and paste

3. Click 'Import'

4. Now use Notion's EXPORT action available from the 3dots menu  (@ screen top right)

5. Ensure 'Markdown & CSV' is selected

6. Click 'Export'. CSV file is saved to default location.

7. Double click the file to open in a spreadsheet and take it from there!

I think that's it - any bugs/changes let me know!

Update 1: I haven't tried any of this on my tablet or phone yet ...

Update 2: It can be messy! Notion does not like Evernote's formats so graphics and any posts configured as HTML content mostly do not import. Only remedy is to edit posts to remove rogue content. Can be tedious but it's not the sort of thing I need to do very often so may be worth it for the odd case.

Update 3: I tried Notion some years ago when it first appeared. Liked it but already invested in Evernote and couldn't see major reason to change. However, I now see that Notion has some useful qualities that I may have more use for so I'll use it for a while to see how it goes.

Update 4: Tried out desktop web clipper - works OK - and the phone/tablet app works OK too.

NOTE to Evernote: maybe the development road mapper should think about this - if I could have simply copied a list of note titles into another document with clearly demarked meta data (e.g. created date, URL, title etc) then I would not be considering a move to Notion! The weakest aspect of Evernote is how it organises its data and the tools it provides to inerrogate it (beyond search and tag I see nothing else?)

Update 5: Just a note to say that then the exported CSV is opened in Excel the 'created date' is rather awkward, i.e. nothing like a date! It needs manual/macro editing ... more nuisance but relatively quick to fix (unless you can live with it ...) 

• Thanks 1