OCR for PDF attachments

OCR recognition of the content of PDF attachments are seen by many as essential as it permits full document searches. Evernote Premium account shines as it is one of the few noting apps that can do this (but Nimbus, DevonThink and Microsoft OneNote do it too). 

There is a difference between OCR of a PDF for search indexing as opposed to OCR conversion to a text file. A search index is only good for search. That is the limitation of Evernote.

Far better is OCR to a text file conversion. Good document scanners will do this. Fujitsu ScanSnap has the Abby OCR software included free. A text file can be processed with copy/paste which saves retyping or formatting.

The other benefit of this is that it opens your note taking options. Insert text from OCR into any note taking app and it can become part of the normal workflow. 

My point: taking time to OCR scan a document can bring great benefits in the short and long run.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Tamagotchi said:

Good document scanners will do this. Fujitsu ScanSnap has the Abby OCR software included free.

OCR is also supported by some scanner apps
I  use a stand-alone app; PDF OCR X

2 小時前, Tamagotchi說:

OCR recognition of the content of PDF attachments are seen by many as essential as it permits full document searches. Evernote Premium account shines as it is one of the few noting apps that can do this (but Nimbus, DevonThink and Microsoft OneNote do it too). 

There is a difference between OCR of a PDF for search indexing as opposed to OCR conversion to a text file. A search index is only good for search. That is the limitation of Evernote.

Far better is OCR to a text file conversion. Good document scanners will do this. Fujitsu ScanSnap has the Abby OCR software included free. A text file can be processed with copy/paste which saves retyping or formatting.

The other benefit of this is that it opens your note taking options. Insert text from OCR into any note taking app and it can become part of the normal workflow. 

My point: taking time to OCR scan a document can bring great benefits in the short and long run.

I don't think OCR is necessary in EN personally.  Because it already have a very powerful search function.  It can search context within the PDF including images based and even handwriting.

Suggested to install some independent OCR app will be much powerful and easier to do this.

• Level 5

If documents are moved out of EN (one, a bunch or all of them.... ), the OCR done before will move along. This does not happen when the OCR was done on the EN server. Then the exported documents or notes will not have deep search based on OCR.

My ix500 and my ScannerPro on the iPhone are both set to do their own OCR. Quality is pretty good, and it creates flexibility.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Hey there! I totally agree with your point about the benefits of OCR scanning documents. It's a game changer in terms of increasing efficiency and convenience. I've been using a document scanning app from smartengines.com and I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with the OCR capabilities. It does a great job of converting PDF attachments to text files which I can then insert into my preferred note taking app. The OCR process is quick and accurate, saving me time and effort. The integration with smartengines.com has definitely made my workflow smoother and more streamlined. I think it's definitely worth taking the time to OCR scan a document for all the benefits it brings.

• Thanks 1