New version says note is HTML and won't let me edit it

Just installed latest window version of Evernote and one of my notes now has it's contents in a frame denoted as HTML and I cannot edit it.

Opened web version and saw same behavior. However I not6a button that let me switch to old editor. After switching the HTML frame vanished and I was able to edit also.

Why can't I access the old editor in the  Windows app? Please give it back!

Why is this an HTML note? Other notes are not HTML and I don't recall having anything to do with HTML when notes are created. All notes I have were created in the same way as far as I can tell.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

On 12/3/2020 at 7:42 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Try clicking on the bar across the top of the frame.  If you get a magic wand (I kid you not) it will convert to editable text.

I just don't get why this change. For the user, Evernote has just added confusion and two extra steps. Don't know what is the benefit that user gets by this feature. I've reverted back to classic editor. 

I don't get the change either. As appears to happen with almost all tech products, Evernote too has succumbed to feature creep. For basic users, this makes the product much more complicated than it needs to be. In any case, gazumped's suggestion worked.

• Evernote Expert

The new note editor employs a number of display panes for different content types. HTML is one of these. Evernote 10 displays HTML content inside a pane which is designed to display the content consistently across devices. The pane is more rigid in its display than the previous version of Evernote and locks the content from editing. The use of the simplify formatting tool unlocks the content.  It also removes a lot of the layout stuff. Once edited it isn't possible to go back to the HTML layout. For that reason, this is one of the now few situations where I use the legacy version of the program to make changes in HTML originated content.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree completely. 

By way of background: I've been an Evernote user for about ten years and have never posted in a discussion before - but I specifically registered to chime in on this issue. After the immense frustration of not being able to annotate HTML notes after upgrading to the latest version, I went to Google to find a solution and found this thread.

• 2 months later...

just upgraded from evernote 3.0 to 10.11.5. and some of my notes show up as HTML content which I cannot edit. any idea how it can be fixed.

This is precisely the reason I never upgraded from 3.0 but I think it was time as my notes were not syncing and lot of other issues, but now I have to deal

with a situation where I cannot edit my own notes. Using the magic wand thing to simplify formatting is not going to work as it messes up the formatting 

of my entire tables and is basically not readable. Please help!

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, naveed_33@yahoo.com\na said:

Using the magic wand thing to simplify formatting is not going to work as it messes up the formatting 

of my entire tables and is basically not readable. Please help!

You already worked out the 'official' solution,  so any suggestions are going to be pure speculation... but have you tried the Legacy app? It will install alongside your new v10 and can be used interchangeably if you so require.  That's going to be version 6.25 - which is still quite a jump up from 3.0.  v10 uses a new database location,  but the upgrade should have left your old v3 database in its original position.  Evernote changed the position of its database storage a couple of times which may cause issues - worst case you'll download a new copy of the Legacy database from the server...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You are not telling which client you are using ?

Probably no easy way out, since probably the data structure was converted at a point in the past. A new client will not have the converter, because he expects input data from more recent releases.

Maybe you first need to find an older version (try filehippo.com), install it, try to open the notes, and work your way up from there.

However this is pure speculation.

It may be an ideal switch to a Premium subscription (can be done on a monthly bases) to get access to official EN support.

• Like 2