I dont want my notebooks anywhere else other than on my computer in my home

RightPaddock

Idea

How can I get back to Evernote version 6.5.4.4720 - I have the installer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the the lack of any meaningful warning that everything must be moved onto your servers after installing this new version may be regarded as unconscionable conduct under consumer protection laws in some jurisdictions.

You have effectively STOLEN years of my work.  If I had known this was coming I would have found an alternative application. To say I'm disgusted is a gross understatement.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, RightPaddock said:

If you have the installer, what's stopping you from    ...   installing   
For those without an installer, download from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

For anyone using Local Notebooks, make sure you back up your data; it's not backed up by Evernote

Thanks

When it comes to installing/reinstalling/uninstalling I've found Evernote to be rather fragile.  I do have have my local notebooks backed up, locally and to a commercial FTP server.

The reason I want to keep local notebooks is that I have other applications that have evernote:\\ links embedded in their databases and vice-versa.  Problem these days is that every vendor want to have  everything confined to their narrow focus walled garden.

I am going wait to see if any Evernote for Windows users respond 

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, RightPaddock said:

The reason I want to keep local notebooks is that I have other applications that have evernote:\\ links embedded in their databases and vice-versa. 

In-app links ("evernote:// links") function with all notes, Local or Online
There's no connection to Local Notebooks except the link is only functional on the specific device

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the the lack of any meaningful warning that everything must be moved onto your servers after installing this new version may be regarded as unconscionable conduct under consumer protection laws in some jurisdictions.

You have effectively STOLEN years of my work.  If I had known this was coming I would have found an alternative application. To say I'm disgusted is a gross understatement.

@RightPaddock I'm afraid that you are mostly talking to other users in these forums.  THis isn't really the place to assume that Evernote staff will read your post.  These are peer support forums.

One of the key elements of Evernote is that it is a cloud based service. So it has always been assumed that the bulk of a users notes will be stored in the cloud so that they can be accessed on multiple devices.

I note that you have a BASIC account so the number of devices is dropping and this also means you can't usefully raise a support ticket.

As @DTLow notes, install the legacy version of Evernote and that should give you access to your local folders that will work while this software is available.  If you want a local only service then I fear you will need to use these transition weeks/months to find an alternative service provider and export the notes.  That said, most of the alternatives are cloud based as well.

• Level 5

@RightPaddockAs I see it, nobody has stolen anything from you. You took your own decisions, and if you click on upgrade before reading the release notes, maybe you had a lot of luck in the past.

You decided to put your years of work into a service where you are a user, not a customer.

So if I were you, I would first follow DTLows post and install legacy. And then I would the heck see that I find another service that does what I want on a local platform. Because support for legacy will end, and you will have another day of finding out that you picked the wrong service for your needs.

On a Mac, I would propose DEVONthink or (surprise) Apple Notes that has an offline option. On Windows there is a wealth of Document management software (probably none for free), or you may try a NAS, like Synology with NoteStation, which by definition is all local.

I tried the installer I had - it installed ok, but it would not let me 'login' because it didn't have an internet connection 😒  That's the sort of fragility I've struck before.

So, I downloaded and installed the 'legacy' version. Pleased to report that it has given me access to my data. Now at least I can look for an alternative that can read exported data. 

Local notebook support is the main reason I have stuck with Evernote.  At one stage I was considering a switch to OneNote, but then MS did the same thing, forced everything into it's cloud. 

The main reasons I have a BASIC account are:

• My primary use of EN is to store 'free format' data that is arbitrarily linked to and from local 'databases' that I access and maintain with other applications.
  • I don't have an 'always on'  24*7*365 internet connection, which is why I want all my data local;
  • I have never found a usage case for any of the Premium advanced features;
  • I don't need extra online storage or traffic;

If there was an account type that allowed users to have local notebooks at a modest cost I would subscribe in the blink of an eye. Example:  I subscribe to MS Office 365, but I don't put my documents into MS OneDrive.  Not even for backup purposes, I prefer to stick with the commercial FTP service I've used for the past 30+ years. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/28/2020 at 4:27 PM, RightPaddock said:

In the Legacy version - "evernote:///view.blah-blah" - links only work from within Evernote, but not from eternal applications.

The in-app links ("evernote:///view.blah-blah") are working for me, both internal Evernote and external applications
I use them all the time

What issues are you having?

>>I will try doing a system restore back to Thursday

If this reverts to your Evernote database, it would have been better to backup the raw database folders  

Also, the master database is stored on the servers.  You are updating a local copy   
The sync process will undo the restore

They are local notebooks so they don't get synched to the cloud, and they didn't work from Word which I regard as the yardstick.

But for the 'application' that relies on links to and from other applications I've decided to use local html pages rather than EN  notes.  The EN note export feature does pretty good job with the notebook in question.   The other applications are open source so if push comes… .

It's not the first time I've have the rug pulled from under me when I've used software - creatively.

• Level 5

Obviously the road EN will follow is internet dependent and cloud only. That this is a trend in the software industry is because it allows  for a continuous flow of income. 

You will probably have a hard time to find a full replacement.

One chance could be Document Management Systems used in businesses. Or get a private NAS system like QNAP or Synology. I run a Synology which offers the NoteStation as Part of DSM. Then you have everything under  control - just don’t expect it to be as feature rich as EN.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:05 PM, RightPaddock said:

it installed ok, but it would not let me 'login' because it didn't have an internet connection

That has always been the case with Legacy. When you login, it has to verify against the main server. It then stores an access token locally so you can remain logged in even when offline. That token has a long expiration time. But you can also revoke that token from the web interface.

• Like 1