Anyone with large database sees slow tagging?

On my primary account I have close to 40,000 notes. 

Selecting up to 20 notes which I known are on the local machine, applying a tag to the multi-selection takes 3-4 minutes on an Intel i7, 32 GB RAM machine.

Switching to my secondary, test account, where I have 300 notes, doing the same thing takes only 8 seconds.

Before trying to figure out more, I'd love to know if anyone else has this issue; if it's related to the overall size of the account

• Like 2

What I've seen is this:

Windows v10.3.7 on a MS Surfacebook 2:  I add a tag to a note.  If I search for that tag, I probably won't see that note for what sometimes seems like 10 or 15 minutes.  If I look at the web version of EN, I can see the note when I search for that tag.  My Google Pixel Android phone seems to see the tag change very quickly as well.  If I quit the Windows app, then re-launch, I can see the change in tags for the notes, even if I wait less than 1 minute to quit/relaunch.

My database isn't very big; just under 1100 notes in 2 notebooks.  I use tags to separate notes in a way that makes sense to me.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, rt66john said:

If I search for that tag, I probably won't see that note for what sometimes seems like 10 or 15 minutes.

Already discussed in the Forums.  Search is now server-oriented so tagged notes need to get indexed back there and synced down to a local device.

The original question was about the time taken to add a tag to a selection of notes not the time delay between adding a tag and it being searchable (which is another really important issue).

In my experience all operations on multiple notes are painfully slow - even adding a tag, which is surely just adding the same text string to a few fields in a data base.

I've just tried adding a tag to 20 notes as per @ruudhein's example. It took 1 min 15 secs. This wasn't done in the background so during that time I could not use EN. I have far fewer notes - about 3600, so it may well depend on account size. I still think anything beyond a few seconds is completely unacceptable for such a simple operation. You then have to add the the time delay until you can actually search for the tags. 

• Like 2

Ah yes, you too. Seems for some strange reason really have to do with the account size. Very strange.

If you keep Shortcuts open, you can actually see the tagged notes appear in Recent Notes. And ... it.... goes.... slowwwww....

It's not consistent either. When I remove tag/add tag to the same set of notes, time can go down to "just" 40 seconds

On 11/23/2020 at 8:20 PM, ruudhein said:

It's not consistent either. When I remove tag/add tag to the same set of notes, time can go down to "just" 40 seconds

unfortunately v10 wasn't created as improvement over v6 - it is ANOTHER product that uses the same online database, fortunately you can continue using Evernote v6 (legacy) while searching for alternatives.

Yeah, @Piotas I know. Using Legacy still for the real work. Just testing EN10, see what works how. My experience is one better get used to it. Better to work with what is than what is wished for.

No real alternative for Evernote at my scale. Nimbus is promising but doesn't have search down at 40,000 notes

• Like 1
22 hours ago, ruudhein said:

Yeah, @Piotas I know. Using Legacy still for the real work. Just testing EN10, see what works how. My experience is one better get used to it. Better to work with what is than what is wished for.

No real alternative for Evernote at my scale. Nimbus is promising but doesn't have search down at 40,000 notes

I see no real benefit from using "Windows" Evernote electron app over Evernote as web-app in browser.
You could compare "old" Evernote with, for example, Joplin or Recollectr - working - FAST - on local data. But Evernote v10 fits in the same category as Notion, Clickup and OneNote for Windows 10 - online-oriented no-local-data not-native, unoptimized apps.

Tagging is still slow for me but what bugs me more is the F3 for the tag shortcut is still not working.

I have to use the mouse to get to the tagging every time almost. It does sometimes work but that is less frequent than not working.

17 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I have to use the mouse to get to the tagging every time almost. It does sometimes work but that is less frequent than not working.

I agree it is strange. Normally it does seem to work. I don't think I've found all the circumstances in which it fails but try this one.

• Press F2 to get to the title field.
  • Hit <tab> or click into the body of the note.
  • F3 now fails and continues to fail even if you go back to the note list.
  • If you click into the tag area and then click somewhere else F3 starts working again.

Is this reproducible for you?

8 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I agree it is strange. Normally it does seem to work. I don't think I've found all the circumstances in which it fails but try this one.

• Press F2 to get to the title field.
  • Hit <tab> or click into the body of the note.
  • F3 now fails and continues to fail even if you go back to the note list.
  • If you click into the tag area and then click somewhere else F3 starts working again.

Is this reproducible for you?

Yes!

Once I click on the tag area to tag then click somewhere else, F3 starts to work. Otherwise, new note, title then edit the body...hit F3...nothing most of the time.

15 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Yes!

Once I click on the tag area to tag then click somewhere else, F3 starts to work. Otherwise, new note, title then edit the body...hit F3...nothing most of the time.

It does seem to be going from a title to the main body of the note that blocks F3. Well at least that might give the techs something to work on.

• Level 5*
On 11/28/2020 at 8:19 AM, Mike P said:

It does seem to be going from a title to the main body of the note that blocks F3. Well at least that might give the techs something to work on.

Implies F3 was meant to work the old way in the first place.  One would think it would be hard for F3 from title to slide through a systems test.  🤷‍♂️

• 6 months later...

Yes... I'm deep into Evernote... every day, managing my workflow. TAGS are KEY for me, too. In the new version, when I "batch tag" (i.e.,  20-30 notes at a time), I get the animated circle while it takes a long time to complete the task. In the old version, batch tagging was nearly instantaneous. Looks  like I'm not alone. Can/will we see improvement??

• Like 1