Table of Contents Note

AdmiralP

Idea

In the Legacy version you could select multiple notes and then click "Create Table of Contents" and get a note copntaining the internal note links to your selecvted notes /

This option seems t have been omitted from v10 - please can we have it back?

11 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

There are several threads which deal with this.  You can still create TsOCs. The only missing piece is the menu item. 

Select the various notes you want to have in the table of contents in the order you would like them to appear in your ToC document. Select Copy Internal Links and then paste these into the document where you want the ToC to appear.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, AdmiralP said:

In the Legacy version you could select multiple notes and then click "Create Table of Contents" and get a note copntaining the internal note links to your selecvted notes /

This option seems t have been omitted from v10 - please can we have it back?

TOC's are handled in a different way. You can select the notes you want and then choose the copy internal links. You can then paste those links into a new note to make a TOC. If you copy them into a numbered list you can then reorder the list by dragging and dropping. You can also paste the links into an existing TOC or dashboard note. Much more flexibility but slightly longer if all you want is a TOC note.

Hi Mike P and agsteele -
Yes, I saw that "ToC-style" notes could still be created - but having been so used to having a menu option for it, it feels like I'm being slowed down in the process. I like the flexibility just wondered why the old option isn't available as well?

"There are several threads which deal with this." - that may be, but it's difficult to find commonality between threads. I hope EN staff are doing work behind the scenes to consolidate the issues being raosed/

Overall I'm liking v10, but feel slightly frustrated by the missing options/short cuts from the Legacy version.
And I still can't find what changed between v10.1.6 and v10.1.7... even id was just something like "stability issues" or "minor fixes", it would be nice to be informed of the reason for a new release.

Hello everyone,

Thank you @agsteele for giving an alternative solution. But that won't be enough for me either. Like @AdmiralP and @MikeP, I was using the table of contents. Not having this feature is a problem, even if the other V10 advances are very useful. When copying internal links, the title of the note does not appear. But for a notebook with many notes (a few hundreds), this is a problem. The Evernote team, could you please put this feature back?  That would be great.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:14 AM, NSN said:

When copying internal links, the title of the note does not appear.

I don't really understand this comment. Why should the title of the note appear when you copy an internal link? Are you saying that when you paste the internal link the title does not appear - that is certainly not my experience. Please clarify.

3 hours ago, donnydl said:

I seem only to be able to copy note links for 50 notes at a time so this isnt the same feature

All operations on multiple notes are currently limited to 50 notes. There is a hack to change that which requires editing a file somewhere (sorry don't recall where in the forum that appeared) and I seem to recall that this will be extended to larger number by default in the future.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, donnydl said:

I seem only to be able to copy note links for 50 notes at a time so this isnt the same feature

I agree, the 50 note selection limit is an issue; however that's a different subject

The copy links work-around works well to create a Table of Contents

It does but not if you have notebooks with 500 notes in them. Having to recreate a TOC in batches every time (or periodically) is a less than productive solution.

Especially when the app used to do this by default. It harkens back to when Evernote limited users to max 200 notebooks and suggested people use tags as a way to sort/find notes. In a business environment, this is not an effective way to manage notes/access.

As a Premium Subscriber who has 8,000 notes and has been using the service since incept — I'm disappointed. I have a hard time evangelizing Evernote these days. (sorry for the rant.)

As a premium subscriber for over 10 years, I am disappointed that with each Evernote update there are fewer user features and not more.  Multi-platform use is understood as a programming issue but users only want the best system.  The behind-the-scenes work on stability and speed is obligatory.  Users want features that make life easier.  Each update seems to make Evernote more mediocre, requires DYI creative and labor-intensive work-arounds, and makes Evernote's competitors more attractive.

I will hang in there a little longer Evernote.  But I have read lots of forums and everyone is telling you the same thing.  Give us our features back.  Then give us more that we didn't realize we needed.

• Thanks 1